Which medical schools would you NOT apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which U.S. (mainland) schools you would NEVER apply to, and why? The purpose of this question is twofold: 1. The novelty. 2. I am applying this year and am using this as another measure to learn about schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering which U.S. (mainland) schools you would NEVER apply to, and why? The purpose of this question is twofold: 1. The novelty. 2. I am applying this year and am using this as another measure to learn about schools.
Liberty
Maybe Loma Linda too

Reactions: 5 users
+1 for Liberty
I am applying to Gtown, but only to write them an essay on how awful their admissions practices are. @Jalby #neverforget
+Touro NY

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've only heard bad things about Drexel.

Rosalind gets like 10k apps, is expensive, and has <10 min MMI stations.

Cal northstate (for profit)? gets bashed a lot on this site.

Can you elaborate on the reasons why we shouldn't apply to those schools?

I wasn't sure why Libery, Gtown, Drexel are not encouraged to apply

Reactions: 1 user
LUCOM, Touro NY, Loma Linda. I applied to Penn State but don't think I can morally commit to going there without it affecting my conscience.

Reactions: 2 users
I cannot recommend LUCOM or TouroNY, for different reasons.

Reactions: 5 users
Can you elaborate on the reasons why we shouldn't apply to those schools?

I wasn't sure why Libery, Gtown, Drexel are not encouraged to apply

Liberty's educational quality is questioned on this site, not to mention the extreme restrictions on student behavior that turns many people off.

Gtown is...well, you can read jalby's thread on that one.

Not sure about Drexel.

Northstate has chosen to deny its students federal loans and payback mechanisms.
This is a basic need, not a luxury. Who would do this to their own students?

Is it possible for LCME to revoke accreditation and force a medical school to shut down? Has this happened before? And can it happen to CNU?

Is it possible for LCME to revoke accreditation and force a medical school to shut down? Has this happened before? And can it happen to CNU?
It has happened. It was a disaster for seniors who had already submitted ERAS applications as they were no longer eligible for the Match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northstate has chosen to deny its students federal loans and payback mechanisms.
This is a basic need, not a luxury. Who would do this to their own students?
What is the logic behind this? Why would they even care as long as they get their money?

Members don't see this ad :)
It has happened. It was a disaster for seniors who had already submitted ERAS applications as they were no longer eligible for the Match.
Had a question what kind of recourse did these students have? Did they have to transfer to another school and wait to apply to match another year?

Had a question what kind of recourse did these students have? Did they have to transfer to another school and wait to apply to match another year?
They tried. I know of a few who were successful. Loma Linda took them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which medical schools has that happened to in the last, and are there any that are in jeopardy of having that happen to them in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Which medical schools has that happened to in the last, and are there any that are in jeopardy of having that happen to them in the future?

San Juan Bautista. I think it's the only school to lose accreditation; Oral Roberts closed but planned it out so it wasn't a disaster.

Others are on probation, but probably not at risk of losing accreditation. I believe SJB messed up so badly that they lost it without going on probation first.

San Juan Bautista. I think it's the only school to lose accreditation; Oral Roberts closed but planned it out so it wasn't a disaster.

Others are on probation, but probably not at risk of losing accreditation. I believe SJB messed up so badly that they lost it without going on probation first.

wow what did SJB do to drop so quickly?

Why not TouroNY?

They've had administrative issues in the past. They also apparently hold a lot of students back from taking COMLEX 1 to make the average scores seem higher. I don't think their COMLEX 2 pass rates were exceptional either.

Reactions: 2 users
Liberty's educational quality is questioned on this site, not to mention the extreme restrictions on student behavior that turns many people off.

Gtown is...well, you can read jalby's thread on that one.

Not sure about Drexel.

Can you elaborate on both of those for LUCOM?

Can you elaborate on both of those for LUCOM?

I admittedly don't know much about LUCOM so I can't vouch one way or the other for their education quality. As far as restrictions on student behavior though, it's a Christian school. As such, they have a lot of rules. I would assume it's similar to Loma Linda and it's along the lines of no sex, alcohol, etc.

LUCOM, Touro NY, Loma Linda. I applied to Penn State but don't think I can morally commit to going there without it affecting my conscience.
Is Penn State's reputation so bad at this point? I have family members who go there and they're applying to med school soon. I hope it doesn't hurt them!

I'd never go to WashU in St. Louis. What with their god-tier level, excellent facilities, the fact that I live right next to it oh god please accept me I'll do anything

Reactions: 22 users
Is Penn State's reputation so bad at this point? I have family members who go there and they're applying to med school soon. I hope it doesn't hurt them!
Penn States reputation has nothing to do with the med school. It is related to the cover up of a pedophile in the football program that was covered up for years by both the athletic dept and the school.

Penn States reputation has nothing to do with the med school. It is related to the cover up of a pedophile in the football program that was covered up for years by both the athletic dept and the school.
Yeah, sort of my point.

Yeah, sort of my point.
There are many people who will never get past it and will forever associate anything named Penn St with it.

It won't hurt them. As someone who lived in the area, Penn St has strong academics and a good reputation. Most people, at least in PA and surrounding states, realize that the medical school has nothing to do with the what happened there.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. My relative goes to Univeristy Park, Penn State's main college campus. Will that hurt them in their medical school applications?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. My relative goes to Univeristy Park, Penn State's main college campus. Will that hurt them in their medical school applications?
There may be some implicit bias against the school, but I doubt that any institution would change their decision because an applicant attended University Park.

There may be some implicit bias against the school, but I doubt that any institution would change their decision because an applicant attended University Park.
Yeah, that's pretty much it isn't it. I don't really know what I was expecting. Oh well, they'll pry be alright. Thanks!

No, it will not hurt them at all. They would not even have been in college yet when the scandal happened. Anybody saying otherwise is talking complete nonsense.

Same with people saying they wouldn't go to the medical school. The medical school isn't even in the same city as the university. The med school's reputation is fine.

Alright everyone let's get back on topic... don't wanna get the thread booted.

Liberty. Being Jewish is sort of a deal breaker, I would imagine.

I've only heard bad things about Drexel.

Rosalind gets like 10k apps, is expensive, and has <10 min MMI stations.

Cal northstate (for profit)? gets bashed a lot on this site.

I never understand why Drexel gets so much bashings on SDN. I interviewed there a few months ago and I think it was a fine school. The school building might look like an elementary school but who cares? Students are only using the building during preclinical years. For third year, they get a chance to rotate through different clinical sites, with one of them being in Sacramento, California. Research is not top-notch, but there are plenty of research opportunities. So why all the hate?

I wouldn't touch Liberty with a 39 and a half foot pole. I know their undergrad doesn't admit non-celibate gay students, so I can't imagine the fuzzy feelings would be there in the med school either.

Touro-college-harlem.jpg
Why not TouroNY?

Reactions: 18 users