Which Full-Length Practice Exams to Use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackroses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with deciding which (non-AAMC) full-length practice exams to use. It seems that EK, Altius, and NextStep exams are typically regarded as being much harder than the actual MCAT, while I haven't heard much about TPR or other options. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which company(ies) I should be using for practice exams?

I'm not currently worried about timing, I seem to have that down pretty well, so at this point it's mostly getting comfortable with MCAT-style questions and identifying any remaining gaps in content knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm struggling with deciding which (non-AAMC) full-length practice exams to use. It seems that EK, Altius, and NextStep exams are typically regarded as being much harder than the actual MCAT, while I haven't heard much about TPR or other options. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which company(ies) I should be using for practice exams?

I'm not currently worried about timing, I seem to have that down pretty well, so at this point it's mostly getting comfortable with MCAT-style questions and identifying any remaining gaps in content knowledge.
I personally enjoyed Altius FL's the most. They tended to be the most AAMC like in style, difficulty, and overall feel. The questions and passages were all from peer reviewed journals just like how the AAMC does it. Unlike other companies, you also get the most for your money, because you can take the exams an unlimited number of times.

I'd strongly suggest you purchase the altius exams. You can find them here.

DO NOT waste your time or money on Kaplan or Princeton. Their exams are just not representative of the AAMC. The question style, overall difficulty, test format, and passage length are sporadic and not useful.

A lot of people (including me) used EK, NS, and Altius. EK is alright, but you don't get a score at the end of it which sucks. NS gives you a score and has decent exams (only exams 1 - 5 though - anything beyond is poor quality).

Altius excels cause they mirror the MCAT style perfectly. They only use scientific journal articles for all of their science passages which gets you used to the AAMC style entirely. The questions themselves are phenomenal and really hit home when talking about MCAT style. They have a nice diversity in difficulty and topic per exam as well as per test. For example, the AAMC likes to occasionally throw in some biochemistry here and there in the physics/chemistry part of the exam; Altius does it just as well. The altius exams ALSO give you a score which is great. One of the best parts of Altius is also you get the most for your money. By that, I mean the exams are unlimited attempts. EK and NS only give you 4 or 5 attempts, respectively. Altius lets you take any of their full lengths as many times as you care to. I (personally) like to do a FL per week, on Fridays. M-Th, I take another full length, divided into quarters. I can't do that using NS or EK.

Lastly, I believe one of the best parts about Altius FL exams is the detailed answer keys. Here's a popular type of MCAT Question.

The protein sequence discussed in the passage has a D residue in the catalytic core domain. When the scientists blocked the D residue, no enzymatic function was observed. If the scientists were to switch D with another Amino Acid, which one of the following would most likely retain activity in the catalytic core domain?
A) Lysine
B) Asparagine
C) Glutamate
D) Glycine

Most testtaking companies will say the following: "The answer is C, glutamate, because it is acidic."

That doesn't tell me squat. What the heck does acidity have to do with the D mentioned in the catalytic core domain?!

Altius explanations are very thorough and clear. The altius explanation would be something like "Notice how the scientists discussed D, which is the one letter abbreviation for Aspartate, one of the acidic amino acids. Remember the sidechain for aspartate is R-CH2-COOH. The passage and question are implying that this acidic residue, aspartate, is vital for protein function. This is known because the question stem states when the scientists blocked D, there was no enzymatic function at all, so this D residue is VITAL. Now, let's go back and read the question. We're being asked what amino acid substitution, in place of D (Aspartate, an acidic amino acid) will most likely retain activity. This implies you need another acidic amino acid. What is another acidic amino acid? Glutamate! Lysine is a basic amino acid, so in place of D, it most likely won't retain activity. Asparagine is polar uncharged amino acid with no acid activity, so it most likely won't retain activity either. Glycine is an achiral non-polar amino acid, so it certainly won't mimic the acidic properties of D. Thus, Glutamate, the other acidic amino acid, in place of D, should most likely retain enzymatic activity."

Notice how thorough the answer explanation is. It not only tells you what the correct answer is, it tells you why, how to get there, what key details from the passage and question stem you should have picked up on, and finally, why all the other choices are wrong.

I'm a big fan of Altius, ask me any questions you have about their exams and other companies exams and I'll be happy to elaborate.