Which derm programs have black faculty members on staff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonguetalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or places known to have black residents in their programs? Planning to apply to derm next year and Of course, I would rather go anywhere than not match but Im looking for some places where I hopefully wouldnt be the only one.
I only know of a few places like Penn, Wake Forest and I think Mayo but wondering if there's any additional insight.

Members don't see this ad.

google "______ dermatology residency current residents"

Members don't see this ad :)
seems a bit racist to choose programs based on skin color...

Reactions: 1 user
seems a bit racist to choose programs based on skin color...
Not necessarily. I had kids when applying so preferred programs that other residents with kids also chose, with the rationale that this might mean the program was accepting of trainees that have other commitments in life. Some programs had very few or no residents with kids; others had a majority of residents with kids. Would this make me a family-ist?

When choosing a workplace, if a woman preferred a practice that had a mix of men and women partners over an all-male practice, would this make her a sexist?

Taking into account whether or not a place has people with situations/backgrounds similar to your own is reasonable in many cases, as this serves as a potential proxy for whether or not that institution will welcome and value you and others like you.

Reactions: 3 users
The larger the program the more likely. Most of the largest programs (ie those with 50 or more attendings) probably have some black faculty. Unfortunately I don't think you are going to find any with like 25% or even 10%, just like most fields of medicine. The difference is that since derm is smaller than many other fields, the smaller programs are more likely to have zero.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile