Where to practice medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsgottabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it bad to say that i want to practice medicine in inner city (in California because that is where I'm from) because of its advanced technology, new scientific discoveries and the variety of medical cases I would encounter as a physician? I feel like most schools want to train physicians to practice medicine in rural areas, where I dont think I would fit in. I have been used to living in the city and the busy lifestyle...

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

You're thinking way too much into it. Answer truthfully. Everything will be fine.

I would say most schools DON'T emphasize rural medicine (which is unfortunate as that's what I'm interested in, but I digress...). Many schools, particularly top ranked schools according to the US News and World Report, emphasize subspecialty medicine and academics which are by their very nature not necessarily suitable for rural life.

I think there is nothing wrong in saying you would like to work in an urban environment. I might stay away from saying you want to be in Cali when you're interviewing at a school not in Cali, but otherwise be honest.