MD Where should I apply/current list opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamboleo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, would love some advice on where to apply/comments on my current list. First, some stats.

MCAT: 513 (128/127/127/131)
cGPA-3.77/sGPA-3.65: Of note, pretty strong upward trend. Sophomore spring to senior year I only got A's/A-'s (kinda botched my Freshman year)
Clinical Experience: Medical scribe for 1.5 years, both in the ED and Cardiology clinic.
Volunteering: 70 hours in the ED. 36 hours as a Latino youth mentor. 40 hours as a chemistry tutor. Will be volunteering at a primarily latino clinic starting in May.
Shadowing: 80 hours of Thoracic surgery.
Clinical Research: Currently 5 months of clinical research, unpaid, and working 8-10 hours a week. Will continue for another year.
Letters of Rec: 3 confirmed (CNP from work, Health career resource center assistant director, thoracic surgeon). Working on two more; research PI and one science professor. (would love to know if this is too many/not enough)
Extra information:
-Born in Mexico, speak fluent Spanish, 1st generation immigrant
-Took an extra semester of college. Had to work throughout college to pay expenses and thus took a 13-14 credit load per semester. Took a gap year as such.
-Minnesota Resident, graduated from the UMN.

My current medical school list has a good chunk of higher ranked schools, I believe. Thus I would love any feedback on which are more of reach schools, as well as suggestions for medical schools that I should apply to. As a side note, I am not looking to apply DO for this round. Thank you very much guys.

University of Minnesota (Top Choice)
Mayo Clinic
Boston University
Georgetown
Loyola
Marshall
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Jefferson
Brown
Tufts
Carver
UNC chapel hill
Utah
Vermont
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Tec

Members don't see this ad.

Suggest adding USC/Keck, UCLA, OH State, U MI, U Miami, Hofstra, Emory, Rochester, and Einstein. If you're interested in Oakland-B, then add Western MI as well, and maybe MSU

Suggest deleting Va Tech, U UT, U NC and Marshall.

Hey guys, would love some advice on where to apply/comments on my current list. First, some stats.

MCAT: 513 (128/127/127/131)
cGPA-3.77/sGPA-3.65: Of note, pretty strong upward trend. Sophomore spring to senior year I only got A's/A-'s (kinda botched my Freshman year)
Clinical Experience: Medical scribe for 1.5 years, both in the ED and Cardiology clinic.
Volunteering: 70 hours in the ED. 36 hours as a Latino youth mentor. 40 hours as a chemistry tutor. Will be volunteering at a primarily latino clinic starting in May.
Shadowing: 80 hours of Thoracic surgery.
Clinical Research: Currently 5 months of clinical research, unpaid, and working 8-10 hours a week. Will continue for another year.
Letters of Rec: 3 confirmed (CNP from work, Health career resource center assistant director, thoracic surgeon). Working on two more; research PI and one science professor. (would love to know if this is too many/not enough)
Extra information:
-Born in Mexico, speak fluent Spanish, 1st generation immigrant
-Took an extra semester of college. Had to work throughout college to pay expenses and thus took a 13-14 credit load per semester. Took a gap year as such.
-Minnesota Resident, graduated from the UMN.

My current medical school list has a good chunk of higher ranked schools, I believe. Thus I would love any feedback on which are more of reach schools, as well as suggestions for medical schools that I should apply to. As a side note, I am not looking to apply DO for this round. Thank you very much guys.

University of Minnesota (Top Choice)
Mayo Clinic
Boston University
Georgetown
Loyola
Marshall
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Jefferson
Brown
Tufts
Carver
UNC chapel hill
Utah
Vermont
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Tec

Reactions: 1 users
Suggest adding USC/Keck, UCLA, OH State, U MI, U Miami, Hofstra, Emory, Rochester, and Einstein. If you're interested in Oakland-B, then add Western MI as well, and maybe MSU

Suggest deleting Va Tech, U UT, U NC and Marshall.
Thank you for responding! I really appreciate the help.