Where/how can an undergraduate get funding for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am volunteering at a small research lab at my university. I have heard that other labs offer REU funding (meaning, they pay a stipend to undergrads who work there some hours a week), and other departments of my university have funding for certain majors. The college of engineering has funding for students who do research in the engineering+physics department. However, I am doing bio/biochem research, but volunteering. I don't know of any funding opportunities at my uni for the research that I am doing right now. I am wondering if there are outside sources of research funding for undergrads, if you are already volunteering at a research lab where you would like to stay at.

Members don't see this ad.

I am volunteering at a small research lab at my university. I have heard that other labs offer REU funding (meaning, they pay a stipend to undergrads who work there some hours a week), and other departments of my university have funding for certain majors. The college of engineering has funding for students who do research in the engineering+physics department. However, I am doing bio/biochem research, but volunteering. I don't know of any funding opportunities at my uni for the research that I am doing right now. I am wondering if there are outside sources of research funding for undergrads, if you are already volunteering at a research lab where you would like to stay at.
Aren't you at Oregon State? A Google search came up with this: http://oregonstate.edu/research/incentive/urisc, which looks to be open to research in any field. You should also ask your PI about opportunities that might not be as well advertised. You could always apply for a Goldwater Scholarship, but know that they're very competitive.

Aren't you at Oregon State? A Google search came up with this: http://oregonstate.edu/research/incentive/urisc, which looks to be open to research in any field. You should also ask your PI about opportunities that might not be as well advertised. You could always apply for a Goldwater Scholarship, but know that they're very competitive.
What about from Portland State University?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about from Portland State University?
There's nothing I can tell you that you couldn't find on their website, since I don't go there. Also creating multiple accounts is against the terms of service for this site.

You're not getting money or college credit for your research? For me, I got credit for a couple years and then got paid my last year. I think it was against the rules at my school to not get one or the other.
Typically, as I understand it, the PI provides the funding, but I'm sure there are exceptions to that. I'm sure PIs don't mind if you bring in outside funding.