where can I meet other LGBT doctors etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sun9ss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just wondering if any of you knows about websites, communities etc where it's possible to meet other doctors/medical students and other healthcare professionals from the LGBT group?

I'd like to get acquainted with someone with similar professional interests, and maybe find a boyfriend who also works in healthcare.

I'll be thankful for any answers!

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out GLMA.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I'm just wondering if any of you knows about websites, communities etc where it's possible to meet other doctors/medical students and other healthcare professionals from the LGBT group?

I'd like to get acquainted with someone with similar professional interests, and maybe find a boyfriend who also works in healthcare.

Your school may also have an LGBT group. If you know which school you will be attending, you can probably google to see if they have one.

Best of luck. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

This is going to sound very odd to those in the know, but I've actually had great luck using grindr to meet other medicine friends. I simply have a picture of myself and my partner, and put very prominently that we are only interested in board games in the profile. I also mentioned explicitly that we are physicians, and BAM. Physician board game group practically created itself. Ta da!

Not to make it sound overly simple, but any gay "networking" app can ostensibly be used to create a friend group if you just ignore the riff raff's bad behavior (read: unsolicited visualized anatomy) and bolster those who approach you in good faith.

Reactions: 8 users
This is going to sound very odd to those in the know, but I've actually had great luck using grindr to meet other medicine friends. I simply have a picture of myself and my partner, and put very prominently that we are only interested in board games in the profile. I also mentioned explicitly that we are physicians, and BAM. Physician board game group practically created itself. Ta da!

hahahahhaha I've met 2 IM residents off grindr. One of them was a total creep and the other one was too busy to ever meet up.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
hahahahhaha I've met 2 IM residents off grindr. One of them was a total creep and the other one was too busy to ever meet up.

I've had similar experiences! But I didn't just delete the app out of frustration and give up, which is what I've noticed some people do when they have one or two bad experiences. They then blame the app, not realizing that their experience may change based on who they meet.

Not to make it sound overly simple, but any gay "networking" app can ostensibly be used to create a friend group if you just ignore the riff raff's bad behavior (read: unsolicited visualized anatomy) and bolster those who approach you in good faith.
I may have said this elsewhere, but I use Scruff for roughly the same purpose. But.... my personal opinion has been *not* to throw out there that you're a doctor/resident/med student. Just leave it at healthcare. There are plenty of "family" members in healthcare, but I do think that there are potentially sketchy folks who don't need to know too many specific details (particularly offered up for free without any form of reciprocity). To clarify, I'm used to being in moderate sized cities with decent LGBT populations. But, it's still a pretty small world. And, a many (most) people on social apps are sane, but there's always a few that ruin it for everyone else.

And, now I feel like a prude so I'll also clarify that if you're single and a professional looking for another professional-type, than by all means post whatever you want. I'm just suggesting that you post with the idea that there are some sketchy freaks out there.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
As for the original question, it's probably also worth checking out if there are any professional LGBT-type groups in the area. I honestly don't know the best way to find out. I was here for 2 years before I saw a friend post about the group's monthly social on facebook. But, had I known to google, we probably could have joined their mailing list as soon as moved here. After I found out that it existed, I realized a fair number of academics, healthcare folks, and law/business types go there for networking.

I may have said this elsewhere, but I use Scruff for roughly the same purpose. But.... my personal opinion has been *not* to throw out there that you're a doctor/resident/med student. Just leave it at healthcare. There are plenty of "family" members in healthcare, but I do think that there are potentially sketchy folks who don't need to know too many specific details (particularly offered up for free without any form of reciprocity). To clarify, I'm used to being in moderate sized cities with decent LGBT populations. But, it's still a pretty small world. And, a many (most) people on social apps are sane, but there's always a few that ruin it for everyone else.

And, now I feel like a prude so I'll also clarify that if you're single and a professional looking for another professional-type, than by all means post whatever you want. I'm just suggesting that you post with the idea that there are some sketchy freaks out there.

Meh, I don't think posting that I'm a doctor has much impact, and I'd prefer to list 1-2 important things about myself if I'm looking for friends. The fact is that most people won't read my profile, so the ones that do get rewarded by knowing a very small amount about me.

Grindr is a good lead, has been useful for me as well, give it a try!

Just met another med school from nearby med school on scruff.
He had stated "healthcare" in his work on scruff and I was nice and chill and asked and the convo started from there...
He's an MS-IV though that just matched in a different state (anesthesiology) so it doesn't look like anything serious will come out of it :(

I didn't know about GLMA! Thanks! I'm looking into starting a group at my school but it's slow going with a lot of red tape and hesitancy by my administrators.