Where are jobs posted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyberchicken001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an MS3 but trying to get an idea of what job market is like at the moment (and I know it will go through a number of cycles of change before I finish residency). So I've seen jobs posted on the ACR website, but there really aren't that many, like 15 or so for the entire New York state for example. I'm hoping that it's not actually that bad :)
Are there any sites that have a more comprehensive list, or do people find jobs more through networking/word of mouth? Looking for a website more similar to gaswork.com which looks pretty good for anesthesiology jobs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The ACR website is the most comprehensive. Most jobs, and a very high percentage of the desirable ones, are unadvertised.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, I see 41 for New York state alone on ACR job board: Recent Jobs in New York - American College of Radiology Career Center

Radworking will sometimes have some jobs not listed on ACR, and a lot of locums.

Otherwise yes, most of the jobs, especially partnership track or jobs in big popular metro areas don't need to be posted and are filled through word of mouth and networking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most better radiology jobs are going to be word-of-mouth. When a private practice employer advertises a job at the ACR site or elsewhere, there is a good chance that it has been already offered around quite a bit. When the employer resorts to a recruiter, there is usually a level of desperation.

In my opinion, the robustness of the residency's network (size and geographic dispersion) is its greatest value, and it is this that will help you land your ideal job. You will learn radiology well enough at most places.

At my UCSF interview many moons ago, Clyde Helms, now at Duke, said to me that you could learn radiology well enough in your basement with a bunch of books. In fact, he offered that he could teach his school age son radiology. A bit of hyperbole, but point taken.

Agree with above. The Best jobs are not posted. This is why it's dumb to chase the most prestigious program across the country over the solid program in the city you want to get a job.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. The Best jobs are not posted. This is why it's dumb to chase the most prestigious program across the country over the solid program in the city you want to get a job.

In my interview trail experience so far, California groups seem to prefer big name grads over lower tier local fellowship grads. This is why I chose a big name on the opposite coast.

Examples: one of Harbor UCLA's attending is from Brigham. One of UC Davis's new attending is from MGH. Meanwhile, a certain socal local fellowship's current fellow is lamenting about difficulty of finding local jobs.

This only seen to apply to IR though.

Academics is different. For one, it's illegal not to post a job. That said, brand name definitely matters for those jobs, and most people who want academic jobs tend to care the most about prestige, so it can be a somewhat self fulfilling prophecy.

The vast vast majority of jobs are not academic though. And the best jobs of those jobs are not posted. So, how do you expect the cross country brand name resident to even get his foot in the door in the first place?

Last edited:
Academics is different. For one, it's illegal not to post a job. That said, brand name definitely matters for those jobs, and most people who want academic jobs tend to care the most about prestige, so it can be a somewhat self fulfilling prophecy.

The vast vast majority of jobs are not academic though. And the best jobs of those jobs are not posted. So, how do you expect the cross country brand name resident to even get his foot in the door in the first place?

Alumni network of the fellowship? If you google people who work in IR PP a fair amount of people went to east coast big names in the bay as well as socal.

Of course network helps. But who do you think has a larger network in private practices in Cali? Duke or harbor-UCLA?

Look, you'll get a job in cali. Just do a fellowship there. Just want OP to know that some primo jobs are off the market before you even start your fellowship.

Last edited:
Of course network helps. But who do you think has a larger network in private practices in Cali? Duke or harbor-UCLA?

Look, you'll get a job in cali. Just do a fellowship there. Just want OP to know that some primo jobs are off the market before you even start your fellowship.
With the market heating up, we had about half of this year's graduating residency class have signed contracts or close to contracts in non coastal areas. I don't think any of the jobs were advertised on job boards rather came from word of mouth from the PD or attendings.

Last edited:

Two IR fellowship in socal I am familiar with and will not name, for one of them, as far as IR goes, my friend who is one of their resident their told me that they were unmatched for 2 years and the two fellows prior to that, one got a job in a different state and the other other guy got a job in CA using a different fellowship.

Another socal IR fellowship has its fellow going to North Dakota and the other fellow lament about how hard the job market is in norcal (he couldn't find anything) as of March. Meanwhile MGH and other big east coast names placed in that market this year.

This means big name east coast fellowship placed into that market while those local fellowships couldn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the best someone can do with an IR fellowship is North Dakota, there are some serious red flags with that applicant or that person actually wanted to make bank in the middle of nowhere.

If the best someone can do with an IR fellowship is North Dakota, there are some serious red flags with that applicant or that person actually wanted to make bank in the middle of nowhere.

The thing is, this isn't an indivdual observation. This is an observation across multiple fellowships and a few years of time point.

Again, I don't think this applies to nonIR jobs as the local grads in less well known Cali fellowships seem to do well.

Per discussion with several IR faculty at my program in California, it seems that they have a better impression of some of the big name east coast IR fellowships than some of the local lesser-known California IR fellowships and actually encouraged me to rank accordingly so. Interestingly, they seem to put more emphasis on brand name over places known specifically for IR (e.g. MGH > Brown). It seems that there is a disconnect between what current young IR fellows/residents think are great IR programs and what programs IR departments are eager to hire from.

Of course, important to keep in mind that what my faculty think isn't necessarily representative of what smaller private practice groups might think.

I feel like this discussion has swayed away from OPs question and into another prestige vs location debate.

It is common knowledge that many good jobs are not advertised, that's all I was saying. After being through the job hunt, I have a strong opinion that local residents get preference for those jobs. But maybe I'm wrong, and the massive networks from the biggest programs across the country can Counter the distance.

You don't have to defend your residency selections. Especially for IR, I don't think it's wise to sacrifice the quality of your training, and think you should strive for the best program.

Look at the end of the day, almost everyone lands a job where they want, despite the anectodal horror stories out there. Different roads all tend to lead to the same place.

Last edited:
Per discussion with several IR faculty at my program in California, it seems that they have a better impression of some of the big name east coast IR fellowships than some of the local lesser-known California IR fellowships and actually encouraged me to rank accordingly so. Interestingly, they seem to put more emphasis on brand name over places known specifically for IR (e.g. MGH > Brown). It seems that there is a disconnect between what current young IR fellows/residents think are great IR programs and what programs IR departments are eager to hire from.

Of course, important to keep in mind that what my faculty think isn't necessarily representative of what smaller private practice groups might think.

This is concordance with my experience. I think a lot of the big names are talked down unfairly
I feel like this discussion has swayed away from OPs question and into another prestige vs location debate.

It is common knowledge that many good jobs are not advertised, that's all I was saying. After being through the job hunt, I have a strong opinion that local residents get preference for those jobs. But maybe I'm wrong, and the massive networks from the biggest programs across the country can Counter the distance.

You don't have to defend your residency selections. Especially for IR, I don't think it's wise to sacrifice the quality of your training, and think you should strive for the best training.

Look at the end of the day, almost everyone lands a job where they want, despite the anectodal horror stories out there. Different roads all tend to lead to the same place.

Don't mean to have anything but a friendly debate. I agree with you entirely about location > name for pretty much all of radiology.

My personal opinion is that for anything other than IR, location trump name (especilly since the big names are not as competitive to get in versus IR).

For IR, location trump name everywhere except SoCal, bay area. I think NYC is still location > name.

The best jobs aren't advertised.

I'm a relatively new grad (past 5 years). Vast majority of my colleagues and I have gotten our jobs from online postings (primarily ACR). My 1st attending job (found on the ACR site) was awful. 2nd and current attending job (also ACR listing) is pretty awesome.

I'm a relatively new grad (past 5 years). Vast majority of my colleagues and I have gotten our jobs from online postings (primarily ACR). My 1st attending job (found on the ACR site) was awful. 2nd and current attending job (also ACR listing) is pretty awesome.

Were you a community or academic grad? Almost all job in my location fill by word of mouth.

Were you a community or academic grad? Almost all job in my location fill by word of mouth.

Trained at mid-tier community program in NYC but fellowship at academic centers (away from east coast)...More I think about it there's considerable overlap between the hiring methods. For example, for my current job (small private practice in small town about 50 minutes of medium sized city), I was first vetted by the group through direct phone conversations with attendings at my fellowship before I was ever contacted by the group. Even the jobs that I did not end up taking (mostly private practice) there seemed to be direct conversations at some point (aside from my references), so word of mouth still plays a large role with online posting. Main benefit of an online posting is to list specific desired skillset (more so for small private practice where a group may need an Msk guy who can still read breast/tomo and perform light IR etc)

ACR is legit. Mix of good jobs, bad ones, and everything in between.

Stay away from radworking.com unless desperate. It's all spam, jobs requiring middlemen recruiters, and all the crap spots chronically left unfilled.

ACR
RSNA
subspecialty organization web pages (e.g. ASNR for neuroradiology)

Jobs often get posted but sometimes they have someone in mind/nearly hired already. Many jobs don't get posted. You can definitely find a job through these sites though.