When to apply for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohgrl76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like heme/onc fellows apply later than my friends in other subspecialties. Some of my GI, cards and rheum friends either already have jobs (end of first year for rheum fellow in a 2 year program) or are planning to apply this fall (beginning of second year for GI and cards), but the heme/onc fellows in my program are only just finalizing up their jobs at the end of their third year.

I was wondering if that is just in my city (Midwest) or is that common for heme/onc fellows to wait until mid third year to get jobs? If I leave the Midwest, I don't want to be behind the boat on applying.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a local issue. We've been interviewing folks since June.

It's never too early to start thinking/looking. Especially if you're moving out of state and have to deal with getting a new license in addition to credentialing.

Also, the Hem/Onc market is still relatively open, even in "hot" markets. So a lot of the people you're talking about may be weighing multiple offers in multiple locations. I know that the 3 graduating fellows we interviewed this year all have/had multiple offers in a relatively limited (and popular) geographic area.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Gutonc! When you say "thinking/looking" how is that different from applying? It just feels so weird to be in my early thirties applying to my first real job, ha. But so is the way of medicine...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Gutonc! When you say "thinking/looking" how is that different from applying?
Deciding what kind of job you're looking for. Deciding where you want to live. Poking around the market and seeing who's in it and who's looking for a position. That's the "thinking/looking" part.
It just feels so weird to be in my early thirties applying to my first real job, ha. But so is the way of medicine...
And this is one of the many things wrong with the medical education world. Most graduating med students have never had a real job in their lives.

If you have a specific region or hospital you want to work at, its good to get on their radar early.

The corollary to this is, make sure you don't let them know that you specifically want to work there.

You lose all leverage when you do that.

Also depends on private with partner track vs. academia though.