When exactly do I sign my life over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAR

Invincibility
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:
I have been accepted for the HPSP and I have been accepted to the University of Colorado. I also have interviewed at University of Arizona and will be interviewing at University of Washington. Due to my WICHE status, I will be paying in-state tuition for each of these schools: 12k, Arizona; 16k,Colorado; and 13k, UWash.

Anyway, the recruiter is now chomping at the bit to get me to take the oath. He claims that I can do this and still not take the scholarship if I decide to later. The reason that I am concerned about this is that it does not make any financial sense for me to take it if I go to these schools.

Does anyone know when I obligate myself? Is it the oath, before I get money for classes, some other documentation?

Thanks for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

KAR said:
Here's my situation:
The reason that I am concerned about this is that it does not make any financial sense for me to take it if I go to these schools.

Thanks for any responses.

You need to tell the recruiter to either;
1. Jump off the plane without the parachute, or
2. Jump off the ship without a lifejacket, or
3. Jump out of the foxhole without a gun,

and move on...

MountaineerDoc said:
You need to tell the recruiter to either;
1. Jump off the plane without the parachute, or
2. Jump off the ship without a lifejacket, or
3. Jump out of the foxhole without a gun,

and move on...

Well said...

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you want to be a military doc, I see no reason to take the scholarship. Those prices are very cheap!! My tuition is 40K per year, because I live 7 miles away from school, but in a different state, and I still probably wouldn't do it over. If it's only for the money, you'd be making a BIG mistake. You lose a lot of control of your destiny, and a lot of years doing it. Do NOT do it for the wrong reasons. Seriously consider it even if they are the right reasons.
By the way, your recruiter is full of it.
I remember taking my oath, and in it I remember distinctly saying "I swear", and signing a bunch of paperwork.
PM me if you want to talk about it. I will give you my number if you need it.
Steve

Does anyone know when I obligate myself? Is it the oath, before I get money for classes, some other documentation?

Thanks for any responses.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you actually obligate yourself and agree with everyone's sentiments. But, I just commissioned an LDO off my ship and here's what he repeated after me:

COMMISSIONING OATH

I, (state name), having been appointed an Ensign in the United States Navy, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, so help me God.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say that stuff until I meant it. I think he's trying the used-car sales hard sell...you'll feel that rush of pride and patriotism and make an impusive decision. My advice, call the recruiting station, ask for his boss and request a different recruiter (if you still think you might be interested).

Just a quick thought--if you think of it as 'signing your life away' maybe this wouldn't be the best career choice for you...