What's your Microbiology professor's opinion on Sketchymicro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor seems very callous towards it. In our first class, she preferred learning it the hard way. Over time, I thought she kinda warmed up to it, but her slides as a lot of information that's not found in sketchy. I think that means she still hasn't gotten over it and is somehow forcing us to look at her slides instead.

What are your microbio professor's opinion on sketchy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reminds me of a med school professor (different medical school than mine) who hated Lipincott's Biochemistry and would prefer his medical students learning from the course's Biochem book (and of course he was one of the authors of the book).

My micro professor is fine with it, but still says we need to know more than what is on sketchy and wants us to know her slides also. This is an understandable statement because there are still things clinical relevant to practice that we need to know that isn't tested on the boards.

Now if a professor tests on things that are not on sketchy micro out of spite, then they are being unreasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
There's tons of board stuff not found in sketchy micro and pharm. Same for Pathoma and pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reminds me of a med school professor (different medical school than mine) who hated Lipincott's Biochemistry and would prefer his medical students learning from the course's Biochem book (and of course he was one of the authors of the book).

My micro professor is fine with it, but still says we need to know more than what is on sketchy and wants us to know her slides also. This is an understandable statement because there are still things clinical relevant to practice that we need to know that isn't tested on the boards.

Now if a professor tests on things that are not on sketchy micro out of spite, then they are being unreasonable.

Haha no way. For biochem my professor is the opposite. He keeps reminding every other class to look at Lippincott for practice questions, so much so that we started hating the book almost out of spite lol.

My professor loathes it. I swear he avoids using buzzwords mentioned in sketchy on the exams just so we can't pick it up easily if sketchy is our main source of memorizing

Ours said he watched a few videos and thought it was well-done if not totally comprehensive. He thought it was too slow to be efficient during boards studying (he'd have a point if you're not watching on 1.5X or 2X), but didn't have any problem with us using it.

My learned Microbiology colleague is quite flummoxed that people not only can interpret the cartoons, but they actually help them remember!

My professor seems very callous towards it. In our first class, she preferred learning it the hard way. Over time, I thought she kinda warmed up to it, but her slides as a lot of information that's not found in sketchy. I think that means she still hasn't gotten over it and is somehow forcing us to look at her slides instead.

What are your microbio professor's opinion on sketchy?

Our professor who taught micro absolutely believes that pathoma and sketchy micro are an affront to medical education. He doesn't understand why we like it or are insistent on using it. He believes preclinical education is fundamentally found within Robbins and texts of that nature.

But here's my perspective and how I went through micro at my school.

I used sketchy micro for bacteria, viruses, and fungi exclusively. I then read protozoa and parasites in clinical micro made ridiculously simple as there were no sections on these or I was running low on time prior to our test. I've had since needed to review parasites about 2 times and will without a doubt forget enough to need to restudy in a few months. I can remember bacteria and fungi almost perfectly, viruses are something to work on for me, but otherwise sketchy saved me for micro.

Ours said he watched a few videos and thought it was well-done if not totally comprehensive. He thought it was too slow to be efficient during boards studying (he'd have a point if you're not watching on 1.5X or 2X), but didn't have any problem with us using it.

What he is forgetting is the fact that the time spent looking at it once or twice (even done at 1x speed) will do far more in the long run than looking at book multiple times. This is the point of sketchy, it uses the same theory as a memory palace. It takes a long time to absorb initially, but you won't be looking again and again and wasting more time remembering what you forgot.

These kind of threads remind me how much I can't stand the disconnect between clinical medicine and the first 2 years of medical school. 90% of what sketchy covers and therefore what is on the boards is completely ****ing useless to clinical medicine. Just 100% irrelevant. So frankly I don't give a crap what some microbiology Phd cares about because the knowledge required to function as a physician is quite different than the information he tests on.

I thought sketchy micro was amazing in terms of getting me to memorize sketchy micro. I think it ultimately hurt my grade in the class though. Our class was taught particularly poorly in my opinion, they just dumped information on us when really there are specific things that are important, not just for the test but for boards and practice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really just think most medical school faculty just don't like board prep or outside resources. They don't think of things in terms of boards exam performance but more of an undergrad style of overall learning. They also put some time into picking out the best resources from their point of view so I can see why they get a little upset that someone wants to use an outside resource. Like my Pharm professors hate on anything that isn't a lange pharm book. Most of my Professor s and deans are against DIT, First aid for the USMLE step 1, Savarees, Uworld and just about anything posted on SDN. In my 1st year my physio professor tried to push 7 different text books on us and yes people did read and use all 7. All I did was BRS and Guyton review and landed a B every time. I think the best way of handling your professors is to look at it as advice and not all advice is going to fit what you need. So often you file it in the thanks but no thanks pile and move on.

A lot of the videos aren't that long, though, at least not from what I've seen. And it's not like you're gonna watch them a week before you take the boards. As long as you watched them consistently, especially in your first year when you're taking the class, though, and you remember the pictures, I can't imagine it requiring much investment in terms of time.

My learned Microbiology colleague is quite flummoxed that people not only can interpret the cartoons, but they actually help them remember!

Sounds like your flummoxed Microbiology colleague hasn't seen the TED Talk regarding how memory works.

Last edited:
A lot of the videos aren't that long, though, at least not from what I've seen. And it's not like you're gonna watch them a week before you take the boards. As long as you watched them consistently, especially in your first year when you're taking the class, though, and you remember the pictures, I can't imagine it requiring much investment in terms of time.

I agree. And actually, so does the micro professor. He didn't have a problem with anyone using it-- he just worried it would be a time sink from uworld/etc during boards studying or reading what we were supposed to for exams (PBL curriculum). Actually valid concerns from someone used to studying from books as opposed to videos. In either case, as long as we could figure out a way to make the time, which isn't hard at 1.5X, he was fine with it.

Our micro profs don't mention it, except for one time when he implied that "other sources, like Sketchy Micro" might not have all the most up to date names of bugs that have recently changed. Lol. Personally I've tried Sketchy for class and find that I'd rather spend extra time reading my notes or Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, but I'm basically the exact opposite of a visual learner. I might try again for boards.

These kind of threads remind me how much I can't stand the disconnect between clinical medicine and the first 2 years of medical school. 90% of what sketchy covers and therefore what is on the boards is completely ****ing useless to clinical medicine. Just 100% irrelevant. So frankly I don't give a crap what some microbiology Phd cares about because the knowledge required to function as a physician is quite different than the information he tests on.

I hope you're not mad at me. I didn't make this topic to illustrate the relation (or lack thereof) between classroom and clinical settings in the latter half. I just made this topic solely out of my curiosity of what other faculty members in other schools think of sketchy.

I hope you're not mad at me. I didn't make this topic to illustrate the relation (or lack thereof) between classroom and clinical settings in the latter half. I just made this topic solely out of my curiosity of what other faculty members in other schools think of sketchy.
Haha no man. You're good. It was the opinions of your professor that annoy me. I don't shoot the messenger.

I thought sketchy micro was amazing in terms of getting me to memorize sketchy micro. I think it ultimately hurt my grade in the class though. Our class was taught particularly poorly in my opinion, they just dumped information on us when really there are specific things that are important, not just for the test but for boards and practice.

Look on the bright side. While it may not have helped your class, it might have helped you for your boards.

My professor loathes it. I swear he avoids using buzzwords mentioned in sketchy on the exams just so we can't pick it up easily if sketchy is our main source of memorizing

As Islandstyle says, that is entirely unreasonable. I'd understand if you'd get a little jealous that your spotlight as a professor is being taken away by sketchy, but to go as far as actively shunning it, that's uncalled for. It's like they don't even want to prepare their students for the boards anymore.

Our micro profs don't mention it, except for one time when he implied that "other sources, like Sketchy Micro" might not have all the most up to date names of bugs that have recently changed. Lol. Personally I've tried Sketchy for class and find that I'd rather spend extra time reading my notes or Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, but I'm basically the exact opposite of a visual learner. I might try again for boards.
I read that quote in his voice. *shudder* And the other professor's exams can't even be helped with Sketchy Micro :rolleyes:

LOL My professor believes it is childish and says that we should just study out of Robbins like him and his generation.

Both of my micro professors insisted on us using Sketchy or some other visual aid. They also both stated at the beginning of first year they would only test us on board relavent material, and they have been true to their word. Honestly, micro can be such an unnecessary time sink if your professors let it be - especially if you are at a program with system blocks.

What your professor thinks shouldn't matter. What should matter is if it helps you learn or not.

I think the point all of the professors are trying to make is that Sketchy micro, first aid, etc. board review material is review. You need to learn it all the first time or you don't have anything to "funnel down" so to speak. You'd be surprised how much those "tie in" details can matter. As someone further along now in training, I can tell you that I have remembered things for years much better than my colleagues because I didn't just binge and purge on review materials as my main source of studying. I also have several friends who have experienced the same on both sides of the spectrum now that we are out practicing and shockingly a lot of the material doesn't go away. Sure, there is dumb minutiae that doesn't matter clinically, but a lot more shows up than you think and makes studying for subsequent boards, inservices, etc. much easier because it doesn't have to keep being "re-learned." There's no substitute for learning the breadth of the material the first time. Now, if you don't have time or don't want to...that's a different issue.

I think the point all of the professors are trying to make is that Sketchy micro, first aid, etc. board review material is review. You need to learn it all the first time or you don't have anything to "funnel down" so to speak. You'd be surprised how much those "tie in" details can matter. As someone further along now in training, I can tell you that I have remembered things for years much better than my colleagues because I didn't just binge and purge on review materials as my main source of studying. I also have several friends who have experienced the same on both sides of the spectrum now that we are out practicing and shockingly a lot of the material doesn't go away. Sure, there is dumb minutiae that doesn't matter clinically, but a lot more shows up than you think and makes studying for subsequent boards, inservices, etc. much easier because it doesn't have to keep being "re-learned." There's no substitute for learning the breadth of the material the first time. Now, if you don't have time or don't want to...that's a different issue.

Sketchy Medical is not a review. It is microbiology that is then taught in a way that helps you remember the meaningful material. I don't think I'll ever forget the chlamydia mermaid or the Staph of Moses.

Professors are against Sketchy Micro because it is highly efficacious to the point that often it is the only material a person needs. For example, I learned the autonomic drugs and diabetes drugs from sketchy pharm far better than I would have ever learned them off of my class lectures. This is not akin to FA or Pathoma which are very barebones by comparison.

Sketchy Medical is not a review. It is microbiology that is then taught in a way that helps you remember the meaningful material. I don't think I'll ever forget the chlamydia mermaid or the Staph of Moses.

Professors are against Sketchy Micro because it is highly efficacious to the point that often it is the only material a person needs. For example, I learned the autonomic drugs and diabetes drugs from sketchy pharm far better than I would have ever learned them off of my class lectures. This is not akin to FA or Pathoma which are very barebones by comparison.
Agreed. If it wasn't for Sketchy, I would have struggled so much on boards for it. Thanks to sketchy I never once studied had to refresh for it besides doing UWorld problems. I definitely remember much more micro than anyone I know that didn't touch Sketchy.

I regret not Sketching earlier. I'm only starting to use sketchy to prepare for the finals now, and GOD how much better I would have done. I won't make the same mistake twice. I will Sketchy the crap out of farm and path over the summer!

They don't like it because they don't like that their expertise can be boiled down to a cartoon video that is 15x more effective than their method. I can respect them not being jazzed about it. Anyone marginalizing your accomplishments will piss you off.

Edit: autocorrect

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I never asked my micro professors what they thought of Sketchy because I was too busy using it to learn huge volumes of high yield info in a fun way that stuck with me. I seriously can't imagine having to learn all those drugs and bugs from review books. With Sketchy Path now a thing now, people coming up the next few years are gonna have such an easier time getting a lot of that stuff down concretely.

My professor absolutely hates it. She prides herself on her fancy ivy league Ph.D so it annoyed her when we all skipped class to sketchy instead.