All Branch Topic (ABT) Whats the likelihood for low gpa people to get the HPSP scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that you have to apply for the scholarship before you enter dental school, but getting into dental is no guarantee especially for those who have a gpa with 3.0-3.3. I was wondering if anyone has gotten the scholarship but did not get into dental school and the chances of those with lower gpas to get the scholarship? I do know that they tend to accept those with 3.5 and 20 dat scores so was wondering about the lower gpa people.

Members don't see this ad.

For the Navy you can't apply until you have an acceptance to dental school unless you have a 22+ DAT

For the Navy you can't apply until you have an acceptance to dental school unless you have a 22+ DAT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 3 year scholarships this year were only awarded to those that applied for the 4th year, thus making any acceptance now null for purposes of the navy

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the chances of getting the military scholarship? I don't feel comfortable with taking out 500k worth of loans. Basically if I don't get the HPSP scholarship I might not do dentistry. Do most people who apply get the scholarship?

Do most people who apply get the scholarship?

Definitely not. AF has very few spots (~15?) per year, Navy and Army ~60-70 4-year scholarships a year. I know for Army they usually get around 120+ applicants, and apparently reached 150 this year according to a recruiter on these forums.

Definitely not. AF has very few spots (~15?) per year, Navy and Army ~60-70 4-year scholarships a year. I know for Army they usually get around 120+ applicants, and apparently reached 150 this year according to a recruiter on these forums.

how many ppl apply for af

A lot of people apply for the AF based on perceived superior lifestyle and other factors. I do not know the numbers but I do know that traditionally they have the greatest number of applicants per open position.

A lot of people apply for the AF based on perceived superior lifestyle and other factors. I do not know the numbers but I do know that traditionally they have the greatest number of applicants per open position.
Do you personally think AF Dentists have a superior lifestyle over Navy Dentists?

Reactions: 1 user
what about navy over army? ;)

I honestly think that is a legit question in regards to where you will be stationed.

Army has lot of bases in what is considered as "non favorable" aka rural area by some whereas more navy bases are located near a body of water and tends to be more "favorable." AF also has more bases in larger metro area compared to Army imo. So if you consider likelyhood of where you may be stationed as a lifestyle, I would put some emphasis on choosing the right branch.

I chose the Army, because imo Army has the richest history and you will definitely enjoy talking about being in the Army with more people you will encounter in your life, which is also a factor in making those decisions. Don't get me wrong, you can still be stationed in awesome places in the Army but you can also end up in nowhere Louisiana like me lol (Ft. Polk). But I actually enjoy it here better than when I was stationed at Ft. Lee (Richmond, VA) due to the people and how clinics are running.

If any of you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly think that is a legit question in regards to where you will be stationed.

Army has lot of bases in what is considered as "non favorable" aka rural area by some whereas more navy bases are located near a body of water and tends to be more "favorable." AF also has more bases in larger metro area compared to Army imo. So if you consider likelyhood of where you may be stationed as a lifestyle, I would put some emphasis on choosing the right branch.

I chose the Army, because imo Army has the richest history and you will definitely enjoy talking about being in the Army with more people you will encounter in your life, which is also a factor in making those decisions. Don't get me wrong, you can still be stationed in awesome places in the Army but you can also end up in nowhere Louisiana like me lol (Ft. Polk). But I actually enjoy it here better than when I was stationed at Ft. Lee (Richmond, VA) due to the people and how clinics are running.

If any of you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Explain to me how the Army has a richer history.

Explain to me how the Army has a richer history.

There would be no United States of America without George Washington and the Army.

In the early days, the Navy was weak against Britain's firepower. Heck, at Cornwallis' surrender at Yorktown, it was the French Navy that blockaded their retreat, not the American Navy.

Washington + his starving Army surprised the Hessians across the Delaware and turned the tide of the Revolution. Meanwhile, sailors in our Navy were "impressed" into British service.

I respect our Navy and its traditions a lot, but the Army win this debate.

Your knowledge of military history is very poor. I suggest you read up.

Will do. If you could point out where I went wrong, I would love to learn. Part of my response was tongue-in-cheek/playing the devil's advocate, but I'd like to hear your thoughts (if you have the time).

It can start with the fact that the early US, including Washington, was firmly against standing armies, and that the early Army got its ass kicked by the Native Americans and had to completely reorganize.

Look at the Barbary Wars and see how that improved the standing of the United States in the international domain.

Reactions: 1 user
Look at the Barbary Wars and see how that improved the standing of the United States in the international domain.

Just looked this up. Fascinating stuff. Going to study it more closely. Thank you for sharing!

So I know that you have to apply for the scholarship before you enter dental school, but getting into dental is no guarantee especially for those who have a gpa with 3.0-3.3. I was wondering if anyone has gotten the scholarship but did not get into dental school and the chances of those with lower gpas to get the scholarship? I do know that they tend to accept those with 3.5 and 20 dat scores so was wondering about the lower gpa people.

To bring the thread back to your question,

a) Yes there are people who get the scholarship and do not get into dental school. This happened last year to an SDNer, and she had to give up the scholarship.
b) Chances vary - your GPA isn't the only thing that counts. Your DAT score matters. Your interview scores matter. Your personal statement/"voice" to the board matters. Your leadership experience matters. Your extracurricular/volunteering matters. Your letters of recommendation matter. Apply early/get your packet in ASAP and fight for that scholarship.