What's the Job Market Like in the Chicago Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MT19871985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the job market like in the Chicago area, particularly in the north/northwest suburbs for general? Job postings don't usually post salary ranges. Any idea? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It varies dramatically based on the patient population, type of work, type of employer, etc. Kind of odd to even ask that question without giving specifics about what type of job you are looking for. In general Chicago burbs seem to offer pretty close to national averages, but again psychiatry has such a broad range of practice type you need to compare apples to apples.

It varies dramatically based on the patient population, type of work, type of employer, etc. Kind of odd to even ask that question without giving specifics about what type of job you are looking for. In general Chicago burbs seem to offer pretty close to national averages, but again psychiatry has such a broad range of practice type you need to compare apples to apples.
I'm looking for adult psych, outpatient (though I'm not opposed to inpatient), and not opposed to occasional weekend call. Somewhere like 20-40 miles out of the city (NW to northern suburbs).

Members don't see this ad :)
The major hospital systems are always looking for people up there. Pay is decent and pretty much based on your productivity for the stuff I looked at a couple years ago.

The major hospital systems are always looking for people up there. Pay is decent and pretty much based on your productivity for the stuff I looked at a couple years ago.
What's decent pay? And which hospital systems? NCH? North shore?

AMITA in Hoffman estates, hinsdale, Elk Grove village is looking for people, for adult psych start around 230k plus sign on and relocation. On production model more like 350-500k once you are 1-2 years in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

AMITA in Hoffman estates, hinsdale, Elk Grove village is looking for people, for adult psych start around 230k plus sign on and relocation. On production model more like 350-500k once you are 1-2 years in.

Wow, nice. How many patients/day does that look like? Call included in that as well? It's an expensive area to live so that's good to know.

It depends on your set up, some do only outpatient, some do inpatient, php, and outpatient (the ones making 400k plus).You start out at salary and once your RVU returns exceed your salary you switch over to a productivity model. How much you work and earn is up to you. I do above 450k but work 60/70 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on your set up, some do only outpatient, some do inpatient, php, and outpatient (the ones making 400k plus).You start out at salary and once your RVU returns exceed your salary you switch over to a productivity model. How much you work and earn is up to you. I do above 450k but work 60/70 hours a week.

Is this C&A?

Yes, but the pay difference is marginal once you factor in that kids and talking to families takes longer.