What's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tingwxus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a MFT program and have completed my 280 hours just last week. I realized that I really enjoy learning and possibly doing assessment/ diagnosing clients when I took appraisal class this summer.

Knowing that MFT can only administer self-report assessments but not IQ test or personality tests, I would like to obtain some other degree that allows me to do so. The first one that I looked into is a Credential program in school psychology, but only find out that I need another 3 years to complete the program (may as well just go for a PsyD if I can only work in school setting after 3 years of training). My question is, with my master's degree in Counseling, what programs are there that can get me to be able to do clinical assessments with clients quickly? Ideal situation is a program that I can waive some units as I will obtain a master's degree soon.

If I were to go into PsyD progam, what are the recommended programs are there in CA? Will my master's degree help to waive some classes at all?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen a mid level assessment report. But, maybe they allow it over there in CA, anything goes. As far as graduate work, some PsyDs will waive some classes, but it's program specific, and you still need to meet the minimum credit requirements of a doctoral program, so it really can't cut that much time off your graduate work. I'd also look into PhD programs if you want to do assessment. Understanding the research behind the assessment measures you are using is crucial. Way too many practitioners out there who didn't do any research in grad school who have no idea that they are using inappropriate measures or inappropriate norm sets in their assessments.

If your enjoyment is actually administering the assesssments rather than interpreting them, you could do that with your current level of education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in a MFT program and have completed my 280 hours just last week. I realized that I really enjoy learning and possibly doing assessment/ diagnosing clients when I took appraisal class this summer.

Knowing that MFT can only administer self-report assessments but not IQ test or personality tests, I would like to obtain some other degree that allows me to do so. The first one that I looked into is a Credential program in school psychology, but only find out that I need another 3 years to complete the program (may as well just go for a PsyD if I can only work in school setting after 3 years of training). My question is, with my master's degree in Counseling, what programs are there that can get me to be able to do clinical assessments with clients quickly? Ideal situation is a program that I can waive some units as I will obtain a master's degree soon.

If I were to go into PsyD progam, what are the recommended programs are there in CA? Will my master's degree help to waive some classes at all?

Thank you for your help!

I think that we owe a duty to our patients to put their needs over our convenience.

Reactions: 3 users
Your options would be:

1. Psychometrist (at current level; unable to interpret scores or write reports)

2. School Psychologist in CA (master's level), which yes, will take another 3+ years, but job prospects are decent and pays fairly well, specifically in NorCal (not speaking to any other state or region, where pay may be on the lower end of salary range). Might want to check job prospects/salary where you are. Very assessment-heavy positions, but they also include educational planning/development for youth (IEPs) and behavioral interventions, etc.

3. Clinical or Counseling Ph.D. or Psy.D. - 5+ more years.
It would be key to look into whether your preferred program will offer assessment practica and/or assessment mentors to get you the hours you need to be competitive for assessment-heavy internships. In my region, there aren't a lot of assessment-heavy positions offered to clinical/counseling psychologists outside of the neuropsychological tracks or forensic tracks, so those types of job openings might be a little harder to find (not impossible, but nearly not as common as therapist jobs). Generally people in my region who didn't specialize in neuro or forensic do assessments in private practice and use their connections for referrals. If you don't go into a program that offers a lot of assessment opportunities, you can't get an assessment-heavy internship or postdoc (some sites have minimum assessment hours that they require), and you may end up in the difficult position of having to start private practice and figure out what tests/batteries to offer and pay for consultation (I can speak to this being in that boat). It could take extra years for you to save up the funds for private practice startup costs if you are unable to obtain an assessment job right off the bat. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited: