What's more important for IMG residency application: hospital name or practical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

germantiramisu21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im an IMG from Germany, that just graduated from one of the top Universities here. I plan on applying for residency next year, and will need to work in a german hospital until I match. I also will have to take my USMLEs soon. I have 2 concrete options right now for work: 1 University hospital with a top (possible world renowned) name, during which I wont have too much practical experience, and wont have enough time to study for the USMLEs (would start work in 4-6 weeks), and 1 hospital that is a lesser known "teaching" hospital (not University hospital), that has decent working hours and would allow me to study about 3 hrs a day for the USMLEs (would start work in 6 weeks). There, I would however gain more OR time and practical experience. So my question is, is it better to have more practical experience or a world renowned hospital name on my application for residency?

Im really struggling with this decision, and dont know whats best in the long run for the goal of practicing in the States.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone here understands USMLE scores.
Very few PD's will know the difference between any hospitals in Germany.
I've been in academic medicine my whole career, I've presented papers in Germany on more than one occasion and I could not identify a world renowned hospital in a multiple choice question!

Alternatively, if you don't match in the US, your choice of training site may have a strong influence on your career in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone here understands USMLE scores.
Very few PD's will know the difference between any hospitals in Germany.
I've been in academic medicine my whole career, I've presented papers in Germany on more than one occasion and I could not identify a world renowned hospital in a multiple choice question!

Alternatively, if you don't match in the US, your choice of training site may have a strong influence on your career in Germany.

Agree, the hospital doesn't matter. This experience is important as you won't have gaps in your CV, otherwise nobody will care.

What matters is:
1. USCE and LOR
2. USMLE scores
3. Transcript and MSPE
4. Your research
5. A convincing application

Thank you guys! I had heard similar opinions from other US docs and read similar things on other forums! Your answers just solidify my decision and makes me worry a lot less about my decision.