What's going to happen to osteopathic orthopedic residencies after the merger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thumpar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they going to be full of MDs now? Are some of them shutting down?

I'm starting my first year at a DO school and just trying to look ahead, because ortho is definitely what I want to do. I feel like this merger is going to make it a lot harder to match into a formerly-AOA residency. It sounds like there are going to be more applicants (MDs) for less spots (if some of them shutting down.)

Everyone plans on killing the boards. I do too. Once I get through Step 1 I'll see if it's still even within my reach. But if I was banking on killing the boards before, it sounds like I'm going to have to kill them even more now.

Anyone have opinions/thoughts/insight/doomsaying on this?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit too early to tell, but I think it would be smart to get involved with research early on to be on par with the MD applicants.

I think most will continue to take DO's only. MD residencies are heavily biased against DO's and that isn't likely to change. Some DO programs will close so the spots will be more limited, it only makes sense for the previously DO programs to continue to only take DO's to ensure we still have access to ortho programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most will continue to take DO's only. MD residencies are heavily biased against DO's and that isn't likely to change. Some DO programs will close so the spots will be more limited, it only makes sense for the previously DO programs to continue to only take DO's to ensure we still have access to ortho programs.

Program's interest is recruiting the best and brightest to train for its population. "Only take DO" probably isn't a high objective.

Program's interest is recruiting the best and brightest to train for its population. "Only take DO" probably isn't a high objective.

Right, that's why many/most MD programs won't interview DO's with 250's/260's USMLE scores, research experience, etc. I think the top DO students will still stack up favorably against MD students interested in these community programs regardless, and I doubt AOA programs are going to suddenly take lots of MD students knowing the bias that exists against DO's. Just one opinion though.

Right, that's why many/most MD programs won't interview DO's with 250's/260's USMLE scores, research experience, etc. I think the top DO students will still stack up favorably against MD students interested in these community programs regardless, and I doubt AOA programs are going to suddenly take lots of MD students knowing the bias that exists against DO's. Just one opinion though.

Here's the thing though, a 260 is only the beginning when it comes to competitive residencies. A DO candidate is often behind the 8 ball as they lack access to big named research mentors and letter writers (due to nature of their training institution) and that can hurt them.

This can also work the other way. I assume the previously DO run ortho programs are more familiar with DO students which can help plenty.

Here is an interesting podcast interview with Joel Rush, DO, the PD at Broward Health. Ep 4 Dr. Joel Rush | Program Director Insights
Broward is one of the 5 AOA programs that has gained initial ACGME accreditation. Here are a few interesting points he made:
-This year they participated in both the ACGME and AOA match. They took 2 DO's and 1 MD. Their number of applications jumped from about 150-200 to nearly 500. Naturally with this number of applications, they need to rely much more on board scores as a screening tool. It sounds like he thinks the days of DO students with low to mid 500's on the COMLEX matching into ortho are going to be done. He believes things will get harder for DO's to match but he doesn't seem to think it is "doomsday", especially for strong DO applicants.

Like others have side, I imagine most AOA programs will still favor DO's but I think you will see a lot of programs taking MD's as well. If we don't see an increase in MD programs taking DO's, it is not unreasonable to believe there could be a 25% or so decrease in DO's matching. I don't think we can really predict what MD programs will do. Most of these programs probably see less than a few DO applications a year, as the majority of DO's don't see the reason to risk it in the MD match unless they have connections at certain programs or are absolute studs with phenomenal scores and research (and even then most probably still don't take the risk). I think once the matches merge and DO's can apply to MD programs without the risk, then we will probably see more DO's matching into MD programs, but I don't think it'll be nearly enough to even out the amount of MD's taking prior DO spots.

Anyway, best think is to focus on modifiable factors and be as strong as a applicant as possible! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users