whats better masters or becoming DA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rftgy

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.48 overall gpa
3.36 science gpa
3.16 BCP
23 AA and TS DAT

did not get accepted this cycle, Should i do one year masters or get certified work as a dental assistant back home while shadowing and volunteering alot? My 2 weaknesses on my application i would say are volunteering and gpa

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours of shadowing and volunteer did you have? What kind of volunteering did you do? I don't think a masters is necessary for you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3.48 overall gpa
3.36 science gpa
3.16 BCP
23 AA and TS DAT

did not get accepted this cycle, Should i do one year masters or get certified work as a dental assistant back home while shadowing and volunteering alot? My 2 weaknesses on my application i would say are volunteering and gpa

I would say a Master's would be largely a waste of money, since your GPA and DAT are already decent enough to get you an acceptance. I'd say go be a DA and make some money while also doing some volunteering, and apply again. If you got a lot of interviews that yielded no acceptances this cycle, maybe work on your interview skills as well

Reactions: 2 users
How many hours of shadowing and volunteer did you have? What kind of volunteering did you do? I don't think a masters is necessary for you.

i had 200 shadowing hours, but almost no volunteering, maybe like 50 max which is nothing, i did do research, and TA, and i worked a good amount as well. I honestly think it may be that i have almost no volunteering or because of my interview skills

i had 200 shadowing hours, but almost no volunteering, maybe like 50 max which is nothing, i did do research, and TA, and i worked a good amount as well. I honestly think it may be that i have almost no volunteering or because of my interview skills
I personally would say get some more volunteering with something dental related. You don't need an extravagant amount, I only had 100 hours on my application.

I think you should up the volunteering hours. How do you think you did during the interviews?

Hello, just reading this thread. Just want to make sure, can you guys clarify what volunteering consists of? This doesn't have to be within a dental office correct? It could be volunteering for anything correct? Sports, homeless shelter, etc. Please let me know, I know this might be a dumb question lol but just want to make sure (I'm also trying to build my resume)

3.48 overall gpa
3.36 science gpa
3.16 BCP
23 AA and TS DAT

Did you only apply to 3 schools? Next time try about 10 schools and net at least 5 interviews, that will almost guarantee you an acceptance.

DA would be my vote.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think it was your interviewing skills that brought you down?

I would go DA and try to add in any other ECs you can think of: volueenteering, research, etc

I have close to same GPAs as you but haven't taken the DAT yet. Very confused about whether to go for a formal post-bacc/master's or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you only apply to 3 schools? Next time try about 10 schools and net at least 5 interviews, that will almost guarantee you an acceptance.
oh i applied to a bunch of schools, like 15, but only the in state ones offered me interviews

Do you think it was your interviewing skills that brought you down?

I would go DA and try to add in any other ECs you can think of: volueenteering, research, etc
it could possibly be my interview skills, i wouldnt doubt that at all haha

Hello, just reading this thread. Just want to make sure, can you guys clarify what volunteering consists of? This doesn't have to be within a dental office correct? It could be volunteering for anything correct? Sports, homeless shelter, etc. Please let me know, I know this might be a dumb question lol but just want to make sure (I'm also trying to build my resume)

You could volunteer anywhere you want. Ideally you would volunteer somewhere that you really have a passion for and that you can talk about in interviews.

It's not a dumb question at all. You can volunteer anywhere that is worthwhile. For the amount of hours these programs require it would be difficult to get all of those hours from a strictly dental source.

Surprised that you didn't accepted to any schools. I know a close friend will lower stats in every section you listed above, but had stellar extracurriculars and got into Buffalo. Thank god to their holistic application process!

Back on topic, I would do the masters and aim for a 3.7+ gpa. Currently your gpa is holding you back and you can make amends by getting better grades with similar graduate science concentrated courses. This will give significantly improve your chances for next cycle. The problem is the cost ~40-60k and most masters programs are closed due to deadlines at this point.

Becoming a dental assistant will help you to a certain point. Depending on your state legislation, you might have to be certified or licensed to become an assistant. In addition, dental schools are not expecting you have any assisting experience let alone dental experience in tools or dental terminology. With this in mind, dental schools will most likely prefer students with better stats and no assisting experience.

Did you call the Dental Schools and ask why you were rejected, and what you should do to improve your chances?

It's not a dumb question at all. You can volunteer anywhere that is worthwhile. For the amount of hours these programs require it would be difficult to get all of those hours from a strictly dental source.
Ok I see, thank you very much!

Did you call the Dental Schools and ask why you were rejected, and what you should do to improve your chances?
Bingo!
Not exactly clear how volunteering and da would improve one's chances in finishing ds.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's better to take post-grad classes like 4 to 5 more classes for example to boost your gpa
and apply again.
Why didn't you improve it while you were still waiting?

I would re-apply to 15-20 programs, I think you'll get in as a re applicant focus on your interview skills, become a DA, apply early. Your competitive good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Either way (DA or coursework) or a mix of the two will both help your chances. As for which route will most help you, depends on which will most help you do well in dental school imo. If there is a dental school nearby, I suggest asking your dean of admission for an exit interview.

I think it's better to take post-grad classes like 4 to 5 more classes for example to boost your gpa
and apply again.
Why didn't you improve it while you were still waiting?
i did improve it while waiting, this was my senior year because i applied my junior year

Its really preference but heres my 2 cents. I'm not sure about America but you get paid 30k a year to do a Masters in Canada. 10k goes to tuition and 20k to living expenses. Do a chill masters and volunteer/shadow on the side if they pay you in America. That way, it IS a higher level of education and schools in Canada give you extra points for having a Masters.

Just got accepted to Lecom!!! thanks for all of the advice guys!

Reactions: 5 users

Yes, you are right. They also want to see commitment. So if you volunteer at a place do it over a longer period of time.