Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandahunter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you write a blog about something and monetize it? Real estate? Tutoring and residency application counseling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah can't leave the state. The girl and the family are too big a part of my life at this point.
You don't have to move, just leave the state to work. Or, get one of those sweet locums gigs in the inland empire or Norcal.
Other than that, it's hard when you're just finishing residency to have any money to invest in something. Unless you're already independently wealthy, in which case it's moot.

Reactions: 1 users
My dad is an ER doc and gets some extra cash as an expert witness in malpractice cases. I know you said non-clinical, but 2 docs in his practice opened up a wound clinic that they run together so they each do half EM and half wound clinic, though admittedly they both seem pretty burnt out. A family friend was an ER doc, then went to be a medical director at a few different places, got an MBA somewhere in there, was CMO of a major health insurance company and is now CMO of a major academic hospital. I'm guess that's not easy or common, but it's definitely possible and very profitable!

It's hard to be "burnt out" from the specialty as a whole as a resident. Residency is just so much more physically and psychologically taxing. Why don't you get a normal post residency gig, negotiate for a couple shifts less than normally required to be FT and see how you feel in a year? In the grand scheme of things, even if you worked 6 shifts a month in this field for the rest of your career, you'd probably make more than you could make in any other industry. If you felt burnt out with 6, it's probably psychological and has nothing to do with the specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to be "burnt out" from the specialty as a whole as a resident. Residency is just so much more physically and psychologically taxing. Why don't you get a normal post residency gig, negotiate for a couple shifts less than normally required to be FT and see how you feel in a year? In the grand scheme of things, even if you worked 6 shifts a month in this field for the rest of your career, you'd probably make more than you could make in any other industry. If you felt burnt out with 6, it's probably psychological and has nothing to do with the specialty.

I have some friends in California jobs who make less than PA / NP group does here. I can understand that trying to pay back loans, have a nice place to live, having a nice amount of play money can be hard for some attendings.

When my wife and I lived in Arlington, VA working in DC, we lost half our savings without doing much that was too extravagant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll never make more on a per hour basis than you will working in a lucrative clinical setting. Work at work, and do what you love when you're not at work. If something you love can be monitized or if you can create a passive stream of income, great, but you're not going to make more than 250/hr doing just about anything else.

You'll never make more on a per hour basis than you will working in a lucrative clinical setting. Work at work, and do what you love when you're not at work. If something you love can be monitized or if you can create a passive stream of income, great, but you're not going to make more than 250/hr doing just about anything else.

@TimesNewRoman BTW, I love that your avatar has a hip replacement!

Here are some of the resources I know of for people who want out now:

Non-Clinical Physician Jobs, Careers, and Opportunities
SEAK, Inc. - Excellence in Education Since 1980
Personal Burnout Prevention Tools
https://www.freedomfounders.com/freedom/

I second the comment above about residency being different. If you're not burned out in residency, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to be burned out! But there's a monstrous difference between working 20 shifts a month and working 15. And that same difference between 15 and 10 and between 10 and 5. If you still don't like it 60 hours a month, well, sorry. You picked the wrong career buddy. That said, EM is about the easiest specialty in medicine to leverage into something else. Get rid of your debt, live frugally, sock some money away and you could go away and not do anything at all a decade from now.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't have to move, just leave the state to work. Or, get one of those sweet locums gigs in the inland empire or Norcal.
Other than that, it's hard when you're just finishing residency to have any money to invest in something. Unless you're already independently wealthy, in which case it's moot.

Yeah, this. $300+/hr as locums is easy to find in the Southeast. Fly out, work 5 days, fly home.

It's so hard finding any jobs that pay north of 250 in LA
Assuming LA is Louisiana, drive or fly over the border into TX. Also, you can have something approaching F%#@ u money in LA if you're banking $250/hr.

To paraphrase a saying of @WCI, if you're not making it on $250/hr then you have a spending problem not an earning problem.

Assuming LA is Louisiana, drive or fly over the border into TX. Also, you can have something approaching F%#@ u money in LA if you're banking $250/hr.

To paraphrase a saying of @WCI, if you're not making it on $250/hr then you have a spending problem not an earning problem.

*cough* federal government *cough*