Technology what you wish you knew......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

square

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm in the market for a laptop and was wondering what you all wish you knew before purchasing one. (ie. memory, size, amenities, customer service, battery life, upgrades, viruses, wifi, warranties etc) how does does dell compare to toshiba or sony? how many times did you laptop crash etc? i need to know what to expect going in....thanks :cool:

square

Members don't see this ad.

I have had a laptop for three years, and have had no problems with it.

Its battery life is about 4 hours on average, but always take your power cord along just in case! I also bought an extra battery, and charge it up and take it along as a backup.

My laptop has never crashed, and it downloads software updates with ease, and runs them flawlessly. I'm really happy with it, and it even can connect to the wireless internet at my university.

The brand name? It's an Apple PowerBook. PM with any questions!

DrIsh said:
Check out www.notebookforums.com for all the information you could ever want about portable computing.

Good luck,
Ish

-buy the laptop w/ a visa/mastercard platinum card to get 1 extra year of warranty. check w/ ur cc computer to get the address to send a copy of the receipt for extra year of warranty.

-for the lowest priced laptop, go w/ a celeron M. It's basically a Pentium M (chip used for centrino) w/ less cache memory and less efficient battery management. Performance wise, tom's harware says that it's nearly identical to the Pentium M, though like $100-200 cheaper. Battery wise, a celeron M probably last 3 hrs while the pentium M would last 4 hrs on the identical laptop. Spend the $100-200 difference to buy an extra battery if needed.

-most of the newer laptops don't have a parallel port or serial port so people w/ older printers or pda's won't be able to use them w/o an adaptor (liek $15 on ebay).