What will i do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolboy88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a 27 years old international student living in US. I need serious advise about my future goal to become a doctor. I started college in 2013 and missed two semester because my father passed away. My financial condition went down and i got 3 F, one in Medical terminology and biology 100, biology 182. My college did not advise me properly of what courses i have to take. For all these days i wasted time taking piano, psychology, too many general classes. My current GPA is 2.4, I know i suck so bad but guess what i started writing book and developing games for IOS/ Android. Now i have all the boost and energy to study anything. I can even finish chemistry in one month. I got great mind but wasted time. I just want to finish everything quick and become a doctor. My quetion, If i take some pre-medical courses through study.com and some through college, will it effect my application in future? I'm also planning to transfer to suny new york. Please advise me, I know i did grave mistakes and things went so bad but i don't wanna give up. Please positive advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I see why you used that title, no one responded to the exact same post. Please don't ever do that again, even in a moment of desperation. I am going to try my best to give you some advice.

First of all, I think its important to realize that even though yes you have a huge chip on your shoulder and you're super motivated to do well in school, getting into medical school will take time. I learned from my own mistakes by rushing the MCAT. The more you rush and don't produce quality work, the longer it will take you to get into medical school.

For now, I think the best thing you can do is to focus on your studies and really bring up that GPA. I don't know the legitimacy of study.com (haven't heard of it) for medical schools, but I feel like you are just using that website to kind of rush your classes. Don't do that. Learn the material correctly, which will help tremendously when you take the MCAT. While taking your new sciences classes, make sure you form relationships with your professors which can help with opportunities to work in their lab or get a great LOR. Continue to raise your GPA and if its not as high by the time you graduate, you should probably do a post-bac or SMP (I don't have much knowledge on this so maybe someone can expand). I feel like you have a couple of chances to do well still with the additional classes and most importantly, your MCAT (SO important). Once you have more stability in your life, then incorporate the clinical exposure and volunteer work. Make sure you also spend time doing activities that you're genuinely interested in (writing your book, developing your games, sounds cool). PM if you need anything else.

Also, you should try to move this thread to pre-allo and not admission prep. You will get more attention there.