What USMLE step 1 score do i need for Hopkins Diag Rad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcumbDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a competitive score on step 1USMLE for hop diag rad?

Members don't see this ad.

How about any Diagnostic Rads program...not just Hopkins...I'd be interested what the general cut off is? What is a good USMLE score as well with a 2 digit score?

Definitely in 240+ range for an interview...

most people on the interview trail at top programs last year Penn, Hopkins, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Brigham, MGH, etc. were at least high 230s and some smoking in the high 260s...

Members don't see this ad :)
GoPistons said:
some smoking in the high 260s...

What do these people eat for breakfast? Good lawd!

kcumbDO said:

Sorry to say, DO probably has no shot at a Hopkins interview.

Also, there is no "firm cutoff" just know that most people who match at elite programs have 240 or higher and MD/PhD and/or AOA.

musicman1991 said:
Sorry to say, DO probably has no shot at a Hopkins interview.

Also, there is no "firm cutoff" just know that most people who match at elite programs have 240 or higher and MD/PhD and/or AOA.

How can you be so sure??

Their anesthesia program just took an OUCOM grad...with ONLY COMLEX scores (NO USMLE). Never say never.

Atlas said:
How can you be so sure??

Their anesthesia program just took an OUCOM grad...with ONLY COMLEX scores (NO USMLE). Never say never.

Their IM program just took an AZCOM graduate too.

I think it's possible for a DO to match. A high Step I score in the 240 range is probably a requirement. But to give you a reasonable chance, you will probably need some amazing research (1st author publications in a peer revued journal) and connections/networking.

Whether you are talking about a SGU grad who matched in derm or a DO who matched in allo neurosurgery, all of these candidates had the basics (amazing step I scores and high class rank) in addition to standout research and connections. It's the research and connections which set people apart. It's better to have a 240 an awesome research as opposed to a 260 and no research. One of the mods here is an SGU grad who matched radiation oncology at Hopkins. But yeah, these people are superstars. That's how it works. It's a tall order but some of have done it in the past.

Rads would be very hard to pull at an ivy place as a DO. IM and Anes don't come close to the competitiveness found in rads. I'd say that your rotation at hopkins will count for a hell of a lot more than your high USMLE score (which will be the same as everyone elses whose interviewing there).

Apply all over man.

VentdependenT said:
Rads would be very hard to pull at an ivy place as a DO. IM and Anes don't come close to the competitiveness found in rads. I'd say that your rotation at hopkins will count for a hell of a lot more than your high USMLE score (which will be the same as everyone elses whose interviewing there).

Apply all over man.

Radiation Oncology is more competitive than radiology and a Caribbean student matched there. Anything is possible but I agree with your overall point.

novacek88 said:
Radiation Oncology is more competitive than radiology and a Caribbean student matched there. Anything is possible but I agree with your overall point.

Yes, that was >6 years ago when Rad-Onc was much less competitive.
I'm sure a carribean grad, or (any grad) would have been able to match rads at a great program back in 1996.

Like it or not, there is de facto bias against IMGs and DOs in the most competitive fields.

listen, sure go ahead and apply, but don't buy a house in Maryland all set on matching at Hopkins.

Hopkins is one of the top 5 radiology programs in the country.

Anesthesia does not even come close to Radiology in competitiveness (not yet at least). I know many DO's who matched at top Anesthesia programs.

id agree with musicman 100%......

It's been a few years since I was part of the Radiology department at Hopkins, but I'm quite sure that Dr. Siegelman (still the PD , I believe) is a bit old school about DO's and rarely interviews any. I suppose he might change his mind if the USMLE score were in the 99th %ile and the applicant had strong research credentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
hans19 said:
Yes, that was >6 years ago when Rad-Onc was much less competitive.
I'm sure a carribean grad, or (any grad) would have been able to match rads at a great program back in 1996.

Like it or not, there is de facto bias against IMGs and DOs in the most competitive fields.

What are you arguing? No one has denied there is a bias against IMG's and DO's. Only a complete fool would make that assertion. At the same time, people defy the odds all the time.

I would say derm is pretty competitive wouldn't you? What about the AZCOM grad who matched derm at the Cleveland Clinic a few years ago. Note that was less than 6 years ago and to my knowledge derm was the most competitive field to match even then.

Like it or not, even heavily anti-DO programs are willing to make exceptions for outstanding talent. It's rare but it happens.

daelroy said:
I would say derm is pretty competitive wouldn't you? What about the AZCOM grad who matched derm at the Cleveland Clinic a few years ago. Note that was less than 6 years ago and to my knowledge derm was the most competitive field to match even then.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that Cleveland Clinic is DO-friendly in Radiology. I knew a DO who graduated the same year as I did who did his residency there, and I met a couple of DO's when I did my fellowship interview there. I don't know whether or not the other programs there are all DO friendly, though.

daelroy said:
What are you arguing? No one has denied there is a bias against IMG's and DO's. Only a complete fool would make that assertion. At the same time, people defy the odds all the time.

Like it or not, even heavily anti-DO programs are willing to make exceptions for outstanding talent. It's rare but it happens.

What are you trying to assert?

Read my post C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y. The post was in regard to a carrib grad who matched at a top rad-onc program. Yes this is impressive, but my assertion was that he/she matched many years ago, when rad-onc and rads were much less competitive than today.

hans19 said:
What are you trying to assert?

Read my post C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y. The post was in regard to a carrib grad who matched at a top rad-onc program. Yes this is impressive, but my assertion was that he/she matched many years ago, when rad-onc and rads were much less competitive than today.

I read your post but I don't think you did. You said that it would be easy for someone to match in rads at Hopkins or a top program like it in 1996 implying that it would be impossible to do so now. Now are you going to deny writing that for the sake of being difficult even though it is plain and clear to anyone reading this thread? :rolleyes:

I'm asserting that anything is possible however unlikely it may seem. If DO's and Caribbean grads are matching in derm which is much more competitive than rads, anything is possible. You would disagree with that?

daelroy said:
I read your post but I don't think you did. You said that it would be easy for someone to match in rads at Hopkins or a top program like it in 1996 implying that it would be impossible to do so now. Now are you going to deny writing that for the sake of being difficult even though it is plain and clear to anyone reading this thread? :rolleyes:

I'm asserting that anything is possible however unlikely it may seem. If DO's and Caribbean grads are matching in derm which is much more competitive than rads, anything is possible. You would disagree with that?
If you are nitpicking, your one anecdote about an AZCOM grad in the last 3 years certainly can't be stretched into "DO's and Caribbean grads are matching in derm."

Reactions: 1 user
daelroy said:

Exceptions only prove the rule. The fact that this one DO matching derm is so noteworthy should illustrate that point. It is completely irrelevant to the other 99% of DO's who have no chance, right or wrong.

Getting an interview is tricky for solid MD applicants from top med schools, and as others have alluded, being a DO won't help your case. That being said, it's by no means impossible to land an interview or match at Hopkins if you bring a lot to the table and impress the right people. While there is no defined cutoff, you'll fare better with a higher score if you're starting with one strike against you.

Hopkins has a fantastic radiology residency, and I hope that you'll check us out.

Cheers,

doepug
(PGY-2/Radiology, Johns Hopkins)

Bumping an old thread.

I'm wondering what step score/application is competitive for a place like hopkins now.

Do you go to KCUMB DO school? You better destroy step 1 if you want to be competitive for Hopkins or other top programs

Edit- sorry just realized this thread was bumped from years ago

One thing that is for sure is that this poster did not go to Hopkins.

1. Hopkins is a top 5-10 radiology program
2. Hopkins and all top 5-10 radiology programs do not interview DOs. Period.
3. Anecdotal 1 person matches are meaningless (you never know if there was a special circumstance)
4. Cleveland Clinic is DO friendly in all residencies except the surgical subspecialties.

Still similar in 2017 as it was back then.

My buddy, who's a resident at JHU, says generally you need a 250+, AOA, and majority 3rd year honors to be competitive.

Last edited:
A quick look at OP's profile seem to indicate that he has gone into neurology and not at Hopkins.

Just for the record, I had a 255 with extra-circulars, research, and solid letters and didn't get an interview at Hopkins.

Just for the record, I had a 255 with extra-circulars, research, and solid letters and didn't get an interview at Hopkins.

To illustrate strength of competition, I was told today that during my gf's class at SUNY Downstate, 2 students got above 270 and 15-20 people had over 250.

I scored in the low 260s and was not offered an interview at a west coast IR fellowship that supposedly autointerview top 20 applicants sorted by step 1. Still got into a top IR fellowship program out east but just to illustrate that the competition is tough.

To illustrate strength of competition, I was told today that during my gf's class at SUNY Downstate, 2 students got above 270 and 15-20 people had over 250.

I scored in the low 260s and was not offered an interview at a west coast IR fellowship that supposedly autointerview top 20 applicants sorted by step 1. Still got into a top IR fellowship program out east but just to illustrate that the competition is tough.

It appears times have changed. In 2016, only 30 applicants to radiology nationwide had step scores >260. Unless all 30 are applying to Hopkins and ranking it #1, I have a hard time seeing how Hopkins only considers 260+ applicants if that is what you are implying. That being said, it is obviously a top program that garners amazing applicants almost all of whom have stellar step scores.

Some applicants with lower step scores than those mentioned above received interviews to Hopkins this cycle. The theory that there's a certain step score requirement to guarantee an interview, let alone a match into a program is outdated.

That being said, rads competition is a moving target year to year. The combination of med student perception of rads job market improvement + IR/DR/ESIR craze almost certainly increased competition this past cycle compared to charting outcomes 2016 data.

2016 was one of the worst year of the match....

It appears times have changed. In 2016, only 30 applicants to radiology nationwide had step scores >260. Unless all 30 are applying to Hopkins and ranking it #1, I have a hard time seeing how Hopkins only considers 260+ applicants if that is what you are implying. That being said, it is obviously a top program that garners amazing applicants almost all of whom have stellar step scores.

The biggest assumption is that we were applying in 2016, but you failed to mention that because it destroys the rest of your argument.

Sorry, but I think you misinterpreted the data on that. There were over 1000 matches into radiology in 2016, and only a fraction of those actually completed the survey and are included in the data for outcomes of the match PDF. So if you were to have data of all 1000+ matches Im sure you would have at least 2-3 times as many applicants with scores >260.

The biggest assumption is that we were applying in 2016, but you failed to mention that because it destroys the rest of your argument.

It is doubtful there was a significant change in 1 year. A change of course, but I am using the most up to date data. Plus, your anecdote from applying to Hopkins with >255 was longer ago than 2016, correct?

Sorry, but I think you misinterpreted the data on that. There were over 1000 matches into radiology in 2016, and only a fraction of those actually completed the survey and are included in the data for outcomes of the match PDF. So if you were to have data of all 1000+ matches Im sure you would have at least 2-3 times as many applicants with scores >260.

This is partially true but you are missing a few things here. First, charting outcomes 2016 only includes U.S. applicants. 754 U.S. seniors matched into diagnostic radiology in 2016. 652 of these were represented in charting outcomes (U.S. students only). So charting outcomes represents 86.4% of matched applicants to diagnostic radiology in 2016.

Even if we ignore the likely selection bias (more successful applicants more likely to report than less successful applicants), that means probably only ~40 U.S. applicants had scores over 260. I am guessing very few IMG's or DO's got interviews at Hopkins regardless of step scores. I'm not sure why you think there would be 2-3x as many 260+ when over 86.4% of matched U.S. seniors reported in the survey.

Again, not perfect, but what other alternatives do we have? Anecdotes that someone's friend applied with a 299 and didn't get an interview?

Anecdotal (but true) experience - there were 4 people from my med school that got 255+ from the past 4 of 5 application years and went into radiology.
All applied to Hopkins - 2/4 got interviews
All applied to MGH - 2/4 got interviews
All applied to UPenn 2/4 got interviews
All applied to Duke 3/4 got interviews
All applied to UCSF 3/4 got interviews
All applied to MIR 4/4 got interviews

It was not the same 2 people in all the 2/4 different scenarios above. One person got 265+ and didn't get two of the first three listed.