What to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZIZOCOOL

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't laugh, I am completely lost. I have been doing the A-level syllabus back in higschool and everything I needed was in a single book. I finished A-levels and now I am going to RCSI Bahrain next year 2017/18. Since I have free time I wanted to prepare a little before I enter. Now this is the problem:

Is medicine (mbbs) the same syllabus all around the world or are there differences?
If not, can somebody provide me a link for RCSI syllabus please? I think its the same for both Bahrain and Ireland.
I read gray's basic anatomy, but is it really only for students (should I memorize the name of every single part!?)
Would anybody recommend the usmle kaplan book? (keep in mind that I am not using it for usmle, I am using it only for studying medicine)
What books do you think will help an undergraduate like me that contains everything I need (like A-levels)?

If I said something stupid please keep in mind that I am totally new in these kind of stuff, I have no relatives who are going through the medical career so I find it really hard to figure out what I should do.

Thank you alot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't laugh, I am completely lost. I have been doing the A-level syllabus back in higschool and everything I needed was in a single book. I finished A-levels and now I am going to RCSI Bahrain next year 2017/18. Since I have free time I wanted to prepare a little before I enter. Now this is the problem:

Is medicine (mbbs) the same syllabus all around the world or are there differences?
If not, can somebody provide me a link for RCSI syllabus please? I think its the same for both Bahrain and Ireland.
I read gray's basic anatomy, but is it really only for students (should I memorize the name of every single part!?)
Would anybody recommend the usmle kaplan book? (keep in mind that I am not using it for usmle, I am using it only for studying medicine)
What books do you think will help an undergraduate like me that contains everything I need (like A-levels)?

If I said something stupid please keep in mind that I am totally new in these kind of stuff, I have no relatives who are going through the medical career so I find it really hard to figure out what I should do.

Thank you alot :)
I had no relatives in medicine either (or none that helped me in any significant way during med school), but I figured it out. If I can, you can.

Can't you contact RCSI Bahrain and ask them for their syllabus if you're an RCSI Bahrain student?

I have no idea if your MBBS is the same as another MBBS. But that doesn't matter because you're studying at RCSI Bahrain so focus on what RCSI Bahrain wants you to know and do.

There are a lot of different recommended books, but it's best to ask your classmates (those in years ahead of you) for their advice.

I doubt there are many people here from RCSI Bahrain. I think there are a couple from RCSI, and you say the syllabus is the same, but how sure are you about that?

I wouldn't think you need to memorise every single part of Gray's but then again I don't know what RCSI Bahrain expects or how they test their students. Again, you're better off asking them or your senior classmates.

In summary, can't you simply ask RCSI Bahrain? That would really answer a lot of your questions....

Can't you contact RCSI Bahrain and ask them for their syllabus if you're an RCSI Bahrain student?
I don't think I can because I am not an official student yet ( The certificate will be released in June so I don't think they will consider me official until they receive it). By the way I already fulfilled my conditional offer so now I just need the certificate.

I think there are a couple from RCSI, and you say the syllabus is the same, but how sure are you about that?
When I went there for the interview, the staff did some kind of presentation of the university. They said that all RCSI branches do the same exam at the same time (after considering the differences due to time zone). So, since they do the same exam, the syllabus must be the same for all branches.

But thank you for the reply. I think I understand more about how medicine works. Guess I will wait until I enter. Thank you :)