What to study before starting school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Construct105

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to prepare myself as best as I possibly can for starting pharmacy school in the upcoming fall. Im just not sure what to study, or if I should even bother studying. I am interning at a retail pharmacy so I know some brand/generics and on my own time I have been trying to learn the different stems/drug classes to familiarize myself with different medications and learn what they are for.

What would you guys recommend that I study? Im thinking of going over the 20 amino acids, as well as some other basic biochem stuff, as well as, some anatomy stuff but Im not sure where to start. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Top 200 drugs (brand/generic name, class, indications, side effects. etc.)

I wouldn't study anything else.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No reason to burn yourself out before the real studying begins. Just focus on your internship.

Canvas local hospitals and other places you can find employment in. Remember, zero sum game, every position your classmate gets is one that you don't.

Other than that...relax, sleep, enjoy. If you had a halfway decent undergraduate experience, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
Hi guys,

I am trying to prepare myself as best as I possibly can for starting pharmacy school in the upcoming fall. Im just not sure what to study, or if I should even bother studying. I am interning at a retail pharmacy so I know some brand/generics and on my own time I have been trying to learn the different stems/drug classes to familiarize myself with different medications and learn what they are for.

What would you guys recommend that I study? Im thinking of going over the 20 amino acids, as well as some other basic biochem stuff, as well as, some anatomy stuff but Im not sure where to start. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Anatomy doesn't matter in pharmacy (99.9% of the time).

Reactions: 3 users
Study possibilities for alternate careers. You don't want to be a pharmacist; trust me on that.

:(

At least you're working in one right now and have some vague clue what you're getting into.

Reactions: 1 users
Study possibilities for alternate careers. You don't want to be a pharmacist; trust me on that.

:(

At least you're working in one right now and have some vague clue what you're getting into.

Good thing I'm doing that now. Can't imagine what it is like to be in the shoes of pharmacy graduates in this situation...

Edit: well actually I can, that's why I'm doing that now.

Top 200 drugs (brand/generic name, class, indications, side effects. etc.)

I wouldn't study anything else.

Our school did top 300, but I agree.

OP: If you memorize the top 300 drugs brand/generic and their class, you'll be very far ahead of your classmates. Spelling is important, and mechanism of action is vital.

Reactions: 1 users
Canvas local hospitals and other places you can find employment in. Remember, zero sum game, every position your classmate gets is one that you don't.

Other than that...relax, sleep, enjoy. If you had a halfway decent undergraduate experience, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This. Find a job, and once you do, enjoy your free time while you still have some.

If you are the type of person who sits down to study biochem over your summer break, you probably know biochem well enough. Top 200 drugs isn't a bad idea, but I know from experience that rote memorization is really difficult without the clinical context. Before I started pharmacy school, I tried to memorize that information; however, I gave up after about 30 drugs because it wasn't getting me anywhere.

You probably don't need to study; but, if you plan to anyway, I would recommend focusing on improving your ability to review literature and understand a clinical trial. Some schools (mine included at the time I applied) don't require a statistics course prior to entering pharmacy school. If you haven't taken statistics or are fuzzy on statistics, you may want to review some basic information on the topic. If you can identify appropriate resources and understand the implications and limitations of a clinical trial when you enter pharmacy school, you will be about a semester ahead of everyone else.

Here is a book to get started. It's a PDF, but I think it's okay. It's from a .edu web address and I was referred to it by a preceptor, so I don't think it has viruses:
Designing Clinical Research 3rd ed. www.kau.edu.sa/GetFile.aspx?id=240104&fn=Designing%20Research.pdf

This is just my experience on best topics to study. Results may vary :)
Congratulations and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user