What to bring to St. Kitts?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stethoscoping

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see there are no updated forums in regards to this topic so I thought I would just give it a try. Any current students have any lists or reccomondations on what to bring to the island? I will not be heading there till late December but I cannot stop thinking about what I need to do to prepare! Anything would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Cash, lots of it.

When you factor in cost of living and commuting costs, Ross is one of the more expensive places in the world to get a degree. And Ross mints D.V.M.’s at a remarkable clip. Last year, it graduated 287 of them — triple the number of many American schools.
At the age of 30, she still has the sign, which is framed on her desk at the Caring Hearts Animal Clinic in Gilbert, Ariz., where she works as a vet. She also has $312,000 in student loans, courtesy of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. Or rather, $312,000 was what she owed the last time she could bring herself to log into the Sallie Mae account that tracks the ever-growing balance.

“It makes me sick, watching it increase,” she says. “There’s also the stress of how am I going to save for retirement when I have this bear to pay off.”

I am not going to St. Kitts, but I am going to Grenada this August. So far I have heard extra toiletries and bed sheets are pretty helpful. I am also making a basic first aid kit for myself just in case I catch a cold or something

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to ukrainian dude, that name just sounds shady as all get out. If you're going to the Caribbean you need to bring heavy jackets (for those stiff tropical ocean breezes), 3.5 pairs of uggs (for when it gets cold at the beach), and about buy all your textbooks in the US then ship them over, it'll be easier trust me.

Edit: in case you think I'm being super duper pooper scooper serious here, I'm not

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to ukrainian dude, that name just sounds shady as all get out. If you're going to the Caribbean you need to bring heavy jackets (for those stiff tropical ocean breezes), 3.5 pairs of uggs (for when it gets cold at the beach), and about buy all your textbooks in the US then ship them over, it'll be easier trust me.

Actually, do, please do listen to him. Really, seriously think about the debt you are taking on. And this isn't just for Ross or St. George, this includes out of state in the US as it is just as and sometimes even more expensive. Seriously, think about the debt, it will cripple you.

But, if you've decided to jump both feet in and proceed forward despite the debt, I know there are some members here that will give you all the advice as to what to bring once they see this thread.

Why 3.5 pairs of uggs? Is the half pair for when one foot gets amputated from frostbite? (Good planning ahead on that one though)

Edit: in case you think I'm being super duper pooper scooper serious here, I'm not
Haha I appreciate the jests. At first I was like wait a minute in other words neither of those things.

Reactions: 1 users
But, if you've decided to jump both feet in and proceed forward despite the debt, I know there are some members here that will give you all the advice as to what to bring once they see this thread.
I am well aware of the debt... I have had numerous discussions with all of my vets. All of them say it's been worth it and with what they are making they don't notice the payments coming out of their paychecks. The advice I was also given was to own a practice and I should be good. Luckily I was able to make it through undergrad without taking out any loans.

I am well aware of the debt... I have had numerous discussions with all of my vets. All of them say it's been worth it and with what they are making they don't notice the payments coming out of their paychecks. The advice I was also given was to own a practice and I should be good. Luckily I was able to make it through undergrad without taking out any loans.

You must work with wealthy vets or ones with very minimal loans. Expect your 10 year monthly payment to be at least 3k per month...and trust me, you'll notice that.

You must work with wealthy vets or ones with very minimal loans. Expect your 10 year monthly payment to be at least 3k per month...and trust me, you'll notice that.
Or no recent grads. I've worked with plenty of vets that graduated with $80k in loans, but that's just a result of their times.

Our practice is doing fairly well, they also graduated 10-12 years ago so I guarantee they're loans are not as high as most students are seeing now. We just hired a new grad so I plan on talking to her.

Or no recent grads. I've worked with plenty of vets that graduated with $80k in loans, but that's just a result of their times.
A vet I used to work with graduated 52 years ago with $0 debt. It's amazing how much things have changed.

A vet I used to work with graduated 52 years ago with $0 debt. It's amazing how much things have changed.

You would be surprised but in many European countries education is still free for citizens.
Besides Great Britain were it is a business.
PS health care is also free. ;)

i graduated with less than average debt 6 years ago and my student loans are still half my take home income. Is that worth it to you? Is it worth it to live like a student for 10+ years because you wanted to be a vet? Is it worth it when you can't afford a new car and your old one breaks down? Or that having children would be difficult because your income is necessary to pay your loans? You need to think seriously about your life goals before becoming a vet

You need to talk to people that graduated this decade.

There were definitely people in my class who graduated without debt. My best friend is an only child from a middle class family (dad is an optometrist, mom was a teacher) and her family paid for everything because they'd been saving for college since her childhood. I know another person who's wife started what became a very successful business and they paid off the loans taken the first three years (prior to the successful business) even before graduation. So people definitely do it without, but the vast majority have to borrow at least something. And I definitely think people should talk to recent grads about the debt and not rely on people who've been out 10+ years because it's a whole new ball game nowadays.

Last edited:
@jmo1012, you able to give some advice?

It seems like no one has really answered your question. This is a packing list that someone made for SGU in Grenada. idk if it'll be the same but I hope it gives you some direction. What I found living in the Caribbean is that you won't have all the comforts of home. So if there's a brand of tea/coffee bring that. And candy. Bring candy lol

Attachments

• 1st Semester Packing List.docx
    33.2 KB · Views: 173
I see there are no updated forums in regards to this topic so I thought I would just give it a try. Any current students have any lists or reccomondations on what to bring to the island? I will not be heading there till late December but I cannot stop thinking about what I need to do to prepare! Anything would be helpful!
You should also think about bringing any packaged food items that you love. The island may or may not have what you want. The available items in the grocery stores changes weekly, one week you might see something and then never see it again the rest of your time on the island. The cost of groceries on the island is expensive compared to the US. The school should be setting you up with a Facebook group, where you can ask questions.

Anything you can't live without for 4 months. For me that was stuff like... the specific conditioner that I use, the specific hair goop that I use, allergy meds, etc. 99% of things you need you can either buy down here or buy from another student, its just a matter of how promptly you might be able to get it (i.e...... not promptly because most stores carry most things but most of the time they don't have everything in stock that they carry, if ya know what I mean :p ). Yes, some things are more expensive down here, but at the end of the day the cost of that extra luggage probably evens out with what you'd have spent just buying whatever it is down here. If you have specific questions feel free to message me, I'm in 7th semester down here :)