What to apply for after Prelim Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yyl109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some advice here, I am an IMG matched into a Prelim Surgery program at a University Hospital, and I am wondering what I should apply to for my upcoming match.

Definitely I am still interested in GS, but I am also concerned about chances of not matching. May I know what if people commonly apply for a backup residency program during their Prelim years i.e. Anes / Radio/ IM, or would wait for a year to reenter the Match for the subsequent year? My question might seem redundant, but having financial stakes at hand I would hope to optimize the best of the Match outcome.

I know that being a Prelim GS intern, it means working hard and getting good LORs and studying real hard for ABSITE, which I am all ready for, but I am also worried about not matching as stats have shown that only around 40% ~50% match into categorical GS after nondesignated prelim GS.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

at the place i did a prelim in, there was a rumor that anesthesia had a spot available for an unmatched surgery prelim but i'm not sure anyone actually did this.

ABSITE doesn't have much to do with matching again as a prelim. by the time the scores come back, interviews are nearly done or the programs are already creating their lists. ABSITE scores would come into play if you didn't match and try getting a spot outside the match i.e. PGY 2 at another place. make sure to keep an eye on APDS for spots that open up

obviously own your prelim year. get the great LOR. those can go a long way.

bottom line is the prelim year won't change where you went to med school or your scores. good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I need some advice here, I am an IMG matched into a Prelim Surgery program at a University Hospital, and I am wondering what I should apply to for my upcoming match.

Definitely I am still interested in GS, but I am also concerned about chances of not matching. May I know what if people commonly apply for a backup residency program during their Prelim years i.e. Anes / Radio/ IM, or would wait for a year to reenter the Match for the subsequent year? My question might seem redundant, but having financial stakes at hand I would hope to optimize the best of the Match outcome.

I know that being a Prelim GS intern, it means working hard and getting good LORs and studying real hard for ABSITE, which I am all ready for, but I am also worried about not matching as stats have shown that only around 40% ~50% match into categorical GS after nondesignated prelim GS.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

I think your concerns are warranted and it is good you are thinking ahead.

You are correct to apply for a backup specialty, you do not have to wait a year, unless you want to gamble on GS an additional year.

The stats are correct. The prelim year will be helpful if you can demonstrate your abilities both clinically and academically.

Look into anesthesiology. Generally a happier group