What time of the year are pharmacist job openings the most abundant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjm9706

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed within the last few months that the amount of job openings in my state has dropped a ton! Is there a certain time of the year when there are more job openings than now? Also, do all companies typicallt post their openings on job boards like indeed? Thanks for your time everyone

Members don't see this ad.

The new grads are getting licensed about now. Standard entry-level sort of jobs are going to be scarce for a few months. There is usually an upswing in the mid winter, at least for retail. Stores get busier, new grads realize that maybe retail isn't for them, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I mean the biggest influx of new licenses is August so obviously companies know this and plan accordingly. Give it three to six months and you will start to see more openings as people move, transfer, quit, w/e.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking August to October was the forget about it month.... Nevember to December were the two months when everything was slowed down due to holidays... January becomes the sweet month lol

Reactions: 1 user
Jan through Mar

This. This is the time by which most of the previous year's new grads/residency grads have found jobs, and the new ones aren't qualified to start applying yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov- Feb or around ASHP Midyear Meeting for hospital jobs. Also have been told after Feb is when hospital pharmacies get budget approval to justify new positions

Sinkhole of bureaucracy

For federal positions, NOT between October and December (first quarter of the fiscal year). Policy and Planning for most of the agencies do budget reconciliation and Iron Mountain, PA reports back on the processing of retirements during the first quarter to project spending and allocations before they release positions to be hired (there's a dance where a position is considered occupied until such time as either OPM clears it in the case of a resignation or Iron Mountain in the case of a retirement which usually takes anywhere between two to six months). The best time is the Jan-March second quarter, but July is usually the latest most normal hires occur. Hiring in August and September are reserved for emergencies and usually, applicants are in the best position to negotiate because if the supervisors do not hire by Oct. 1, they may lose the position until the next budget release. If I were trying to drive a hard bargain, this month and next would be the time to do it.

Reactions: 1 user