What should I do??!?

tj14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm currently going into my last year of high school, and like many people, I'm stuck on if I should pursue medicine or engineering.
I finished biology a year early to lessen my workload for the last year of high school and I really enjoyed the class. In general, I just like learning about the human body. However, I also enjoy math and solving problems which is why I want to go into engineering. The only thing I'm worried about if I decide to go into medicine is I won't get into medical school as it gets so competitive and I won't have time with my family (life doesn't go on forever and I would like to enjoy it as much as possible, but I feel like that's impossible if I decide to purse medicine). I have some exposure to medicine as I volunteer at a hospital and it seems like something I would enjoy, because like everyone, I want to be happy at work. But for previous reasons, I feel like I can't do it. However, if I go into engineering I feel like I won't find a job as it can be difficult to find a job nowadays, and after hearing people complain about how boring it is, I think I won't like engineering.
I just want someone to be able to spit some facts out for me so I can make my own decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You could always pursue engineering then go for medicine if you have the grades. The "I'll never have time" thing is kind of overblown. I've had a great life in medical school, and residency is better or worse depending on your specialty of choice. Surgeons and cardiologists are destined to suffer, but physiatrists and dermatologists, well, not so much.

There are plenty of majors that combine both medicine and engineering. You should look into applying to schools that offer majors in Biomedical Engineering and Chemical Engineering, that way you can decide while in college, not waste any time, and make an informed decision after you start getting some clinical experiences and shadowing. You could probably even begin shadowing as a high school student, I had many friends who did when I was in high school. There are also special summer programs at various schools that will let you get a taste of what it means to be in the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biomedical engineering if you love both. What do you mean by hard to find jobs? You'll have to stay close to the city where all the jobs are, but it's one of very few majors left where you can get a good paying job with a bachelors. If I were good enough at math I would've pursued engineering myself. I'd tell you to take some higher-level math courses and see how you do. You don't need to be top of the class, but if you find yourself struggling even with extra help, I'd consider other careers.

Too early to make that decision kid. Just go to college and make sure you take courses in your freshman year that give you exposure to both fields. Decide at that point. You need some solid clinical experience to figure out if medicine is for you. A lot of people don't have meaningful clinical experience and don't know what the career is all about. You're young so start early.