What should I do with a low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seeingeye1212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering what I should do with a low (sub-3.0) gpa. I do not plan to apply this cycle due to how low it is, however, I have plenty of volunteer experience and hope to gain more over the summer and I will be studying for my GREs and hope to do well on them.
Are there schools that offer provisional enrollment? I'm a TX resident so UNT seems to be the best bang for my buck since I live only 20 minutes away from it but I don't know much about their program.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I would check out the "What are my chances?" thread stickied at the top of this forum and find people whose GPA is similar to yours and see what schools they applied to and were accepted at. Best advice right now is to rock the GREs (75th+ percentile on each section recommended), get some good experiences in, write a great personal statement, get good letters, and apply early when the next cycle starts up. If you really want, you could take some graduate level courses (preferably public health related) to bump up your GPA and demonstrate to schools that you can handle graduate level coursework, but keep in mind that a few classes isn't really gonna make a huge difference in your GPA.