What school supplies/study materials do I need for first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C3H6O3

OMS-lll
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any supplies that you all recommend? e.g. whiteboard, iPad, specific study materials etc... Thanks for any advice that you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Any supplies that you all recommend? e.g. whiteboard, iPad, specific study materials etc... Thanks for any advice that you have.

Whiteboard.
SurfacePro.
Gilroy Atlas of Anatomy.
Constanzo physiology, BRS physiology.
Box of tissues for your tears.

That's it.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ipad, FAstep1, clinical micro made ridiculously simple, and MOST importantly whiskey

Reactions: 6 users
Highlighters
Edit to add: espresso and/or coffeemaker
I'm at about 3 cups a day now. I expect this to go up considerably. Haha
Any suggestions on a good but affordable model? I'm fairly new to the coffee game and have only been drinking it for the last two years or so.

Whiteboard.
SurfacePro.
Gilroy Atlas of Anatomy.
Constanzo physiology, BRS physiology.
Box of tissues for your tears.

That's it.
What size whiteboard did you purchase?

What size whiteboard did you purchase?

ImageUploadedBySDN1463283252.178960.jpg
this size

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
So happy my school is using the surface book

Reactions: 3 users
So happy my school is using the surface book

I kept losing my notes because i was using paper. Finally i got sick of it. I knew i had to write to learn so the sp3 is the best thing. I write. Then print. Then annotate and review.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I kept losing my notes because i was using paper. Finally i got sick of it. I knew i had to write to learn so the sp3 is the best thing. I write. Then print. Then annotate and review.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
I had originally thought about purchasing an iPad pro and I am so glad I didn't now. When I tried the pen on the surface book I was really happy with it. Hoping it will minimize the losing notes and getting them ripped up and all. I'll be experimenting with different study techniques and I'll be starting with annotating slides directly with the pen. Perhaps printing 6-8 slides per page but we'll see!

Members don't see this ad :)

Tabs
Binders
Printer
Surface Pro 3+ FOR SURE
Ear Plugs
erasable pens and highlighters
I have an iPad and Mac air. Do you feel that I should make the investment for the surface pro? What makes it so much better in your opinion? Thanks for your input.

what about the lenovo laptops? There's a 2-in-1 that I'm looking into getting. Any advice?

I have an iPad and Mac air. Do you feel that I should make the investment for the surface pro? What makes it so much better in your opinion? Thanks for your input.
It really depends on the type of learner you are. I strongly learn better by writing. Additionally, i really like the fact that I can annotate images without having to get a finnicky stylus, or something i cannot rest my palm on. I have shared examples of how my notes are below. Furthermore, I like being able to take notes, have them backup to google drive, print them and compile them in a binder. If i ever missed something in a section, i simply grab all the stuff, move it down and add my additional note. Can't really do that on paper.

Finally, it is better because it is an ACTUAL PC, not a tablet etc. It has full capabilities of a laptop. I personally had a macbook pro, sold it, and got myself a SP3. I do not regret it at all. I love it, and would not trade it for a macbook. (just an FYI, I have had a macbook since 2006, so it is not a PC fanboy thing etc)

THe other reason I love my SP3 is that sometimes, lecturers make LAST moment changes, then if you print your slides, you have a an outdated slide, and stuff that is in there will not be on your printed sheet. With the SP3 I quickly download it and I am ready to take notes just as I would on paper. It is also noted that you retain information better by writing than by typing. Anyway, if you have any other questions let me know.

Here are examples of notes etc that I take:

here are notes after ppt

then printed stuff after notes

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 9 users
It really depends on the type of learner you are. I strongly learn better by writing. Additionally, i really like the fact that I can annotate images without having to get a finnicky stylus, or something i cannot rest my palm on. I have shared examples of how my notes are below. Furthermore, I like being able to take notes, have them backup to google drive, print them and compile them in a binder. If i ever missed something in a section, i simply grab all the stuff, move it down and add my additional note. Can't really do that on paper.

Finally, it is better because it is an ACTUAL PC, not a tablet etc. It has full capabilities of a laptop. I personally had a macbook pro, sold it, and got myself a SP3. I do not regret it at all. I love it, and would not trade it for a macbook. (just an FYI, I have had a macbook since 2006, so it is not a PC fanboy thing etc)

THe other reason I love my SP3 is that sometimes, lecturers make LAST moment changes, then if you print your slides, you have a an outdated slide, and stuff that is in there will not be on your printed sheet. With the SP3 I quickly download it and I am ready to take notes just as I would on paper. It is also noted that you retain information better by writing than by typing. Anyway, if you have any other questions let me know.

here are notes after ppt

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the detailed response. This was very insightful and I will definitely be looking further into purchasing a SP3.

Do some students still get away with paper and pen?

Some students get away without taking any notes at all.

The only time I've written anything on a piece of paper was to draw the tracts for neuroanatomy. Reading powerpoints is 10x faster than any type of note writing. Just need the will power to read it several times.

I'm at about 3 cups a day now. I expect this to go up considerably. Haha
Any suggestions on a good but affordable model? I'm fairly new to the coffee game and have only been drinking it for the last two years or so.

Define affordable, and are you looking for drip coffee or an espresso maker?

I admittedly have pretty expensive equipment-- my spouse spoiled me a few birthdays ago-- but overall it probably saved us money in the long run considering I now go to Starbucks mostly socially, and not every single time I want a cappuccino. But I've been a coffee drinker since college and a caffeine addict since grad school, so I can probably make a decent recommendation for most budgets.

Define affordable, and are you looking for drip coffee or an espresso maker?

I admittedly have pretty expensive equipment-- my spouse spoiled me a few birthdays ago-- but overall it probably saved us money in the long run considering I now go to Starbucks mostly socially, and not every single time I want a cappuccino. But I've been a coffee drinker since college and a caffeine addict since grad school, so I can probably make a decent recommendation for most budgets.
I would like to have an espresso machine and would be willing to spend 200-300. My wife drinks coffee as well so I think it would be worthwhile to have a decent machine especially if it means we can save money from not going to the coffee house as often. Thanks for any recommendations that you have.

Last edited:

here are notes after ppt

Hope that helps!

Doesn't the iPad write equally as well as the sp? Also I think you can rest your palm on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
The only study "material" you really "need" is to know that you'll be wrong. A lot.

here are notes after ppt

Hope that helps!

What program do you use on your surface to annotate directly to the slides or pdf? I'm wondering since my program will be using the surface book and I was wondering if it was something I had to purchase or if it came standard with pdf editing ability. I've been using MacBooks too long now and am ready for the change haha. Also, is it expensive to print all that out?

Last edited:
What program do you use on your surface to annotate directly to the slides or pdf? I'm wondering since my program will be using the surface book and I was wondering if it was something I had to purchase or if it came standard with pdf editing ability. I've been using MacBooks too long now and am ready for the change haha. Also, is it expensive to print all that out?
I purchased a program called pdf annotator for 40 bucks. It has a little bit of a lag here and there but it shouldnt on your sp book. I love it over onenote because when you go full screen, it is full screen like a sheet of paper. I wouldnt purchase a tempered screen protector, but a anti reflective screen protector.

Onenote has screwed me over on more than one occasion. This way as soon as i save it syncs with google drive. It also makes a backup everytime you save within google drive as well.

As far as the printing costs. No it doesnt cost me much. I invested in a laster printer for like $160 bucks 3 years ago. Toner costs me roughly 200 a semester. But thats me printing stuff for my family too. It is one of the best purchases ive ever made. I bought the hl3170 by brother in case you were wondering.

I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a bunch of things that people recommend before you start 1st year, especially textbooks. All you *need* is paper and a pen. A tablet is also a great addition, but definitely not a requirement. My school gives out (aka is part of our tuition) iPads which was really nice, but there were several people in my class who still printed all the lecture notes and rarely used their iPad.

I bought a lot of the recommended textbooks and other things people recommend on this site before first year and spent a few hundred bucks. I sold everything after second year for around a tenth of the cost even though I had barely touched any of the books.

Just wait. It's exciting to be starting and you want to be prepared as possible, but you will learn what you need very quickly. Again, all you need is a pen, paper, and maybe a tablet if that fits your learning style. All the textbooks (BRS, micro made ridiculously simple, robbins, etc.) you should wait to buy if you need a supplement to your studies. These are NOT required and I never used any textbook except first aid (which I only used second year; didn't annotate first year and have zero regrets).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Savarese.

Reactions: 1 users
How important is it to get First Aid 2016 rather than 2014/2015. Big difference?

what about the lenovo laptops? There's a 2-in-1 that I'm looking into getting. Any advice?
I use lenovo at a couple different practices I work for. I've found them to be pretty shoddy machines. If you're going to the PC route, bite the bullet and get a microsoft product, you'll thank yourself later.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Savarese.
Everyone has told me Savarese is only good once you're prepping for COMLEX at the end, but isn't a great supplemental text while actually learning OMM. Thoughts on this?

Everyone has told me Savarese is only good once you're prepping for COMLEX at the end, but isn't a great supplemental text while actually learning OMM. Thoughts on this?
Not true. I really hated sacrum and didn't fully understand the Axis until I read savarese.

How important is it to get First Aid 2016 rather than 2014/2015. Big difference?

It's perfectly safe to use a slightly older edition for board studying (be sure to get the errata).

I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a bunch of things that people recommend before you start 1st year, especially textbooks. All you *need* is paper and a pen. A tablet is also a great addition, but definitely not a requirement. My school gives out (aka is part of our tuition) iPads which was really nice, but there were several people in my class who still printed all the lecture notes and rarely used their iPad.

I bought a lot of the recommended textbooks and other things people recommend on this site before first year and spent a few hundred bucks. I sold everything after second year for around a tenth of the cost even though I had barely touched any of the books.

Just wait. It's exciting to be starting and you want to be prepared as possible, but you will learn what you need very quickly. Again, all you need is a pen, paper, and maybe a tablet if that fits your learning style. All the textbooks (BRS, micro made ridiculously simple, robbins, etc.) you should wait to buy if you need a supplement to your studies. These are NOT required and I never used any textbook except first aid (which I only used second year; didn't annotate first year and have zero regrets).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Yea paper or surface pro I would say is the way to go. The ipad is not a realistic tool to use for heavy note taking by hand, drawing etc. It is great for just looking at ppts. Also, The only books ive bought thus far have been the following:

USMLE Road map Neuroscience.
First Aid 2015
First aid organ systems
BRS Physiology
Guyton Hall case studies
BRS Cases
Savarese
How the immune system works
Immunology for medical students

MAKE SURE YOU GET: How the immune system works if you have never had ANY immunology AND Immunology for medical students. If you have had immunology before, Only get immunology for medical students

Power points

here are notes after ppt

Hope that helps!
What pdf editor do you use for note taking?

Btw for anyone who is strapped on cash, the surface pro 2 is $350 on the Internet and works almost as well. The aspect ratio being one of the drawbacks. But I use the tablet for art too and sp2 is preferable to me because it uses a different (Wacom) stylus that interfaces better with some adobe software.

What pdf editor do you use for note taking?

Btw for anyone who is strapped on cash, the surface pro 2 is $350 on the Internet and works almost as well. The aspect ratio being one of the drawbacks. But I use the tablet for art too and sp2 is preferable to me because it uses a different (Wacom) stylus that interfaces better with some adobe software.
You can get a used sp3 for 450 ish. I'd recommend that. I have sp1 and sp3. The wacom pen freaks out around the edges.

Here is a quick demo. I think the diff for the pena is great for graphic artist which neither lf us are really working towards. You can See the video below i just made

I really appreciated your well thought out responses comparing the ipad and sp3 . But your video is not really a fair comparison, since you're comparing a regular ipad to a sp3 (which is comparable in size to an ipad pro) and you're comparing a regular stylus for the ipad to a surface pen (which is comparable to the Apple pencil)...Now Apple selling the Apple Pencil for an additional $99 when sp3 includes it in the purchase price, no eraser button on the Pencil and nowhere to put the Pencil on the ipad itself are legitimate disadvantages.

Last edited:
I really appreciated your well thought out responses comparing the ipad and sp3 . But your video is not really a fair comparison, since you're comparing a regular ipad to a sp3 (which is comparable in size to an ipad pro) and you're comparing a regular stylus for the ipad to a surface pen (which is comparable to the Apple pencil)...Now Apple selling the Apple Pencil for an additional $99 when sp3 includes it in the purchase price, no eraser button on the Pencil and nowhere to put the Pencil on the ipad itself are legitimate disadvantages.
Agreed. However, consider this. Getting the apple iPad pro will lock you into a LIMITED TABLET system. What happens when the video lectures Dont play back on the iPad but will on a PC? There are several things, like there is a website I use to view omm animations. Its Java based. Wouldn't work on the iPad. There are really several disadvantages to having the iPad.

Furthermore, when you are in medical school, the LAST THING you should worry about is switching out devices to figure out where one thing is or where another thing is. Etc.

I can also DIRECTLY download ANY FILE to my sp3, that is because it is a PC. Not a tablet. I do not have to plug into iTunes to download a song or whatever else you may need etc. Not that I do I am just making a point.

My files are always in sync 100% with Google drive, I can open them on any device. I do not have to worry about program comparability.

The apple iPad pro is really tbh apples answer for graphic designers and people who just cannot think outside the apple ecosystem. I do not say that in a way that means offense, what km trying to say is if you look BEYOND the iPad. There is soooooooo much more you can do with the sp3.

Heres another tidbit. I have a 200gb micro SD card on sp3. I bought the minimum memory and just popped this in just as I would a phone. As time progresses and higher capacity SD cards come out I can update the sp3 with more memory. Can't do that with an iPad.

I hope his clarifies things. The purpose of that video was to demonstrate why I needed an SP3 despite being given an iPad by my school. It is also completely impractical to have to switch buttons to erase during a fast pace lecture and then hit another button to go back to the pen. I had to make that video 3x because I kept flipping over the regular stylus. That's how second nature using the sp3 pen has become.

I hope this further clarifies things. If you want to know anything else. Please ask!