What route to take after earning a High School Diploma?

BuiNEwME

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 29 years barely working on earning my high school diploma. What route should I take in college after to know that I want to be in the health filed or that I will make it? Please help. Any suggestions will be appreciated =)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN! There are many paths to take, and it mostly depends on where in healthcare you want to work. It would also help us to know what country you are from. I'll do USA reqs for now.

If you want to be a doctor, understand you will be spending a lot of time paying for school before you start getting paid. You would want to go to a four-year university and take the prereqs (1 yr bio+lab, 2.5 yr chem, 1 yr physics, 1 yr math, 1 yr English). Many people do a biology or chemistry degree, because of the overlap in these classes. You can major in anything. It is very important to get grades--average is 3.7 (an A- average)

If you want to be a nurse, pick a school with a nursing program (not all have them!)

If you want to be a physician's assistant, there are also prereqs (chem, bio, microbio, anatomy, physiology). You would apply after getting your college degree to a two year program. The average GPA is a 3.4 (a B+/A- average)

If you want to be a physical therapist there are also prereqs to take in college (1 yr chem, 1 yr physics, 1 yr bio, 1 yr anatomy&physiology, psych, stats) The average GPA is 3.5 (B+/A- average)

There are other things you need to be aware of, but that depends even more on which path you choose. Do any of these seem interesting to you?

Reactions: 1 user
Well, what exactly is it you want to do? Nurse, doctor, PA? You weren't specific and each one requires different preparations.

Here's the bare minimum you should do at your age.

1. Go to community college for two years
2. Transfer to your in-state four year and get your degree there
3. Do not accumulate more debt than you need to
4. You're debt after college should be no greater than $50K
5. While in college, just take which courses you would need for whatever program it is you want to pursue and do well in them.