What questions will people ask at an interview for a clinical pharmacist position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I get an interview for a clinical pharmacist position tomorrow.. I am wondering if anyone here serves in an interview panel or have experiences with interviewing. This is my top choice hospital in the future...thus a bit nervous, although I am already employed at some place already as of now. Thanks for sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

These are good lists:
- https://pharmacy.osu.edu/forms/allstudents/career-services-2012/CommonInterviewQuestions.pdf
- https://career.ucsf.edu/sites/career.ucsf.edu/files/PDF/PharmacyEmploymentInterviewing.pdf

A lot of behavioural questions - how you deal with conflict/stress/time management/prioritization, what you learned from past experiences (incl. past failures - a twist on the weakness question)

The basics - tell me about yourself, where do you see yourself in 5 (10, etc.) years, how does this position fit into your future goals, why this hospital/position, how will you practice in accordance with the institution's mission, values, etc.

I actually haven't had a lot of interviews that have asked me clinical questions (even residency interviews), but I have been asked about TDM (vancomycin - how to respond to a level, what questions to ask), what medications people should be started on post-ACS, how to respond to a supratherapeutic INR.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently went on a interviewing spree awhile back and wrote down some of the more common questions I was asked.

The most common question is: 3 strengths and your greatest weakness. This is your chance to shine. You should definitely have answers prepared for this one.

One of the most important questions that I generally see is: What was an example of an extremely stressful day/project and how did you deal with it? You want a specific example for this.
Why did you apply to *this* hospital or *this* position?
Short term/long term goals?
Another common question is about time management skills.
Generally, HR will have a few mandatory questions. Usually they relate to: an example of great customer service. Your position on attendance.

Always have questions of your own. Benefits, goals of the hospital, projects. Anything and everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would prepare for questions about a time you caught a med error; a time you implemented a process improvement; your precepting philosophy; and all the usual other behavioral questions. We ask clinical pharmacist candidates to complete three patient cases: one antibiotic kinetics, one pain management, one TPN.

And contrary to the above poster, we have actually declined candidates if they did not perform up to our standards on the cases--the interview isn't just to check for personality fit.

All posts above offer good advices.

The clinical manager I know always as people what animal they want to be or super hero and why. She also ask about thing you are ashamed of yourself.

One thing help you stand out is to have a story to share, tie them to the answers you give. Remember, many others are competing for the opening, and they all have similar pgy background. Everyone dose the same, follow algorithm the same way.

When you are invited to an interview, your clinical skill sets are recognized. The interview is about you. I have heard and sat through numerous boring interview and always the personable, fun, lively, and interesting one we will offer the job to.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I have BCCCP and huge hospital experience .but no pharm d nor residency how to change from clinical staff to a clinical pharmacist .what I can do next.thanks for the advice