What percentage of matriculating first year students end up in a residency on average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS 2 here at a not too well known do school.
During my summer vacation when I'm supposed to be relaxing I find myself worrying about not being able to match into a residency. I'm below average at my school, scoring a couple of percentages below average in most classes. However on the cumulative final, I scored in the bottom 20 percentile. I want to know what's the average attrition rate of DO schools? How many people flunk out throughout the four years, assuming if you graduate you're pretty much 99% guaranteed matching somewhere? I'm just so worried that I'll drop out before making it to a residency and ending up in a mountain of debt that I'll never recover from. And this feeling is killing me.

Due to my anxiety and the fear of failure, I actually started studying for step 1 when I'm supposed to be enjoying the little bit of free time I have.

Members don't see this ad.

If you made it through 1st your odds of making it thought 4th year and matching are high. High 90s high.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is not a good place to relieve anxiety.

Reactions: 14 users
SDN is not a good place to relieve anxiety.
I understand but I'm just trying to ask upperclassmen or current OMS 2 if they have any tips dealing with what I'm going through right now with all this self-doubt. I believe I'm a hard worker and straight B student- despite being consistently 2 percents below the median, but I feel like I forgot the vast majority of the minutiae I learned in OMS-1. I am reviewing OMS-1 right now but there's just so much to cover...

This is the best tip I'll ever give on this site, and what allowed me to retain my sanity through OMS2:
upload_2017-6-22_13-28-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-22_13-26-48.png
    upload_2017-6-22_13-26-48.png
    51 KB · Views: 110
  • upload_2017-6-22_13-27-12.png
    upload_2017-6-22_13-27-12.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 4 users
I understand but I'm just trying to ask upperclassmen or current OMS 2 if they have any tips dealing with what I'm going through right now with all this self-doubt. I believe I'm a hard worker and straight B student- despite being consistently 2 percents below the median, but I feel like I forgot the vast majority of the minutiae I learned in OMS-1. I am reviewing OMS-1 right now but there's just so much to cover...

I'm an upcoming OMS-2. But you're fine! Don't freak out, 2 points below the median is just that. You didn't fail anything and you survived. Come back strong this next year.

Straight Bs are still ok. You should worry if you were scraping by, but you are doing well. Now just analyze where you think you can do better, and take steps to improve.

You've got to remember that you are no longer compared to all of the people in college, but instead a bunch of med students. Any where near the median is normal/good.

If you're passing everything, you're doing fine. I was consistently pretty far below the average in preclinical and on shelf exams but did well on rotations and matched without any issues.
And I wouldn't spend time reviewing past material now unless it's part of an organized board preparation plan. Otherwise you should just be focused on your current coursework and whatever other things you like to do with your time. If you're on break right now, just enjoy it.

OMS 2 here at a not too well known do school.
During my summer vacation when I'm supposed to be relaxing I find myself worrying about not being able to match into a residency. I'm below average at my school, scoring a couple of percentages below average in most classes. However on the cumulative final, I scored in the bottom 20 percentile. I want to know what's the average attrition rate of DO schools? How many people flunk out throughout the four years, assuming if you graduate you're pretty much 99% guaranteed matching somewhere? I'm just so worried that I'll drop out before making it to a residency and ending up in a mountain of debt that I'll never recover from. And this feeling is killing me.

Due to my anxiety and the fear of failure, I actually started studying for step 1 when I'm supposed to be enjoying the little bit of free time I have.

Attrition is about 8% on average for all DO schools. It's as low as 4-5% and as high as 15% depending on the DO school you attend. This is based on the attrition report from 2012ish and just comparing matriculant and graduate class sizes.

So basically if you matriculate at a DO school, you have a >90% chance of attaining a GME position.

Realistically this doesn't mean a ton for you as an individual. Sure the vast majority make it through, but some don't. Sometimes it's hard to tell who will and who won't make it (other times its easy). It's also not necessarily the worst performers, but those people may be more prone to failure.

If you really want to be confident in your place, stay out of the bottom quartile in your class, preferably closer to average or above. In the beginning of med school everyone is just trying to stay afloat, but by the end of first year, you should be feeling better.