what jobs other than hospitalist/outpatient PCP can internal medicine get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe like a hospice director? What else?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospice
SNF work
Round at Assisted Living Facilities and basically become many of those patients PCP
Expert witness
Be the doc on the phone who calls hospitalist or PCP's to deny insurance authorizations
Work in medical administration either at a hospital or for one of the large companies directly such as Sound Physicians, Team Health etc. They have jobs where you basically fly all over the US to visit places where they work to "improve metrics"

Other than that you are talking about doing fellowship, something not related to medicine at all, or opening your own business to do some kind of concierge type practice. This could also include more cosmetic procedures such as going to a botox training seminar and billing yourself as someone who does these types of office procedures.

Edit: Forgot to include rounding at LTAC's

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks...

I'm a new im intern and have only done 3 weeks of IM thus far, and in that time I feel like an idiot on the wards, also just feel so disinterested in what im learning, feels like pulling teeth. no joy. Not sure if this is normal and im just under stress? or if i made a mistake in specialty/career. So i was brainstorming ideas for the more atypical jobs that dont really deal with medicine in case i still feel like this at the end of residency.

Thanks...

I'm a new im intern and have only done 3 weeks of IM thus far, and in that time I feel like an idiot on the wards, also just feel so disinterested in what im learning, feels like pulling teeth. no joy. Not sure if this is normal and im just under stress? or if i made a mistake in specialty/career. So i was brainstorming ideas for the more atypical jobs that dont really deal with medicine in case i still feel like this at the end of residency.
Yes, normal! I probably still felt like an idiot 3 months in, let alone 3 weeks. And the apathy could be due to the fact that you're so stressed and overwhelmed. Some people cope with stress by becoming overly emotional, while others cope by becoming apathetic and unemotional, I think. But don't worry, it gets better! At the very least, I would give it more time before you decide to call it quits.

Thanks...

I started to feel good about everything around June of intern year....then July 1 comes around

Internal medicine especially on floors can get very tiring and boring along with the stress of everything being so new to you.
I suggest you give it sometime you will either like it or not and if not you got other options. Always!

Hospice
SNF work
Round at Assisted Living Facilities and basically become many of those patients PCP
Expert witness
Be the doc on the phone who calls hospitalist or PCP's to deny insurance authorizations
Work in medical administration either at a hospital or for one of the large companies directly such as Sound Physicians, Team Health etc. They have jobs where you basically fly all over the US to visit places where they work to "improve metrics"

Other than that you are talking about doing fellowship, something not related to medicine at all, or opening your own business to do some kind of concierge type practice. This could also include more cosmetic procedures such as going to a botox training seminar and billing yourself as someone who does these types of office procedures.

Edit: Forgot to include rounding at LTAC's
:laugh::laugh::laugh::vomit: