What is Your Biggest Fear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiring_Future_D.O.

I choose to live and lead with solutions.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Of all the professions, medicine is one of the most likely to attract people with high personal anxieties about dying. We become doctors because our ability to cure gives us power over the death of which we are so afraid."
~Sherwin Nuland

What is your biggest fear? I am convinced that successful people maximize their fears by accepting imperfection and accepting their humanity. It is ironic that a fear can be the driving factor and motivation to do good in a career. The difference between success and failure is choosing to be defined by fear. It has been said before, 'if your dreams don't scare you - you aren't dreaming big enough'. Don't limit yourself! Take risks! And when you fail, persist.

My biggest fear is failure and burn-out. I've never burned out, I've come close - maybe a minor or mini burn-out, but after a music escape and mental reset I come back and pick up where I left off and finish what I start. I set high expectations for myself, without high expectations I can never become great. I believe that my career journey is more important than the destination - this is why I will never burn-out. I honestly don't believe there is a "destination" in my pursuit to become a D.O. My pursuit is to become the best possible D.O. I can be, a goal I'll likely never see myself attain.

Take your biggest weakness, mine is fear, assess it. How are you overcoming or "working" on it? As future medical professionals medicine will define us as people - we are imperfect humans after all, so what's your fear? Are you defined by fear or do you define fear?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At graduation right before they hand me my diploma the school realizes they accidentally accepted me.

Reactions: 13 users
The posts I write are well thought through with a general purpose to stimulate positive introspection. I'm truly disappointed with the lack of seriousness in the responses to this thread. I'm learning that SDN maybe isn't the right platform for sincere online community-driven intellectual discourse. I'm sorry to waste my time here.

Reactions: 2 users
The posts I write are well thought through with a general purpose to stimulate positive introspection. I'm truly disappointed with the lack of seriousness in the responses to this thread. I'm learning that SDN maybe isn't the right platform for sincere online community-driven intellectual discourse. I'm sorry to waste my time here.

i'M LeArNinG tHat sDn mAybE isN't tHe rIgHT pLatForM fOr siNcEre oNLinE comMunITy-dRivEN iNtElleCtuAL dIsCouRsE

C_CTwbAVYAEhQWI.jpg

Reactions: 35 users
don't let the door hit you on the gluteus, mister

Reactions: 3 users
My biggest fear is "Of all the professions, medicine is one of the most likely to attract people with high personal anxieties about dying. We become doctors because our ability to cure gives us power over the death of which we are so afraid."
~Sherwin Nuland

What is your biggest fear? I am convinced that successful people maximize their fears by accepting imperfection and accepting their humanity. It is ironic that a fear can be the driving factor and motivation to do good in a career. The difference between success and failure is choosing to be defined by fear. It has been said before, 'if your dreams don't scare you - you aren't dreaming big enough'. Don't limit yourself! Take risks! And when you fail, persist.

My biggest fear is failure and burn-out. I've never burned out, I've come close - maybe a minor or mini burn-out, but after a music escape and mental reset I come back and pick up where I left off and finish what I start. I set high expectations for myself, without high expectations I can never become great. I believe that my career journey is more important than the destination - this is why I will never burn-out. I honestly don't believe there is a "destination" in my pursuit to become a D.O. My pursuit is to become the best possible D.O. I can be, a goal I'll likely never see myself attain.

Take your biggest weakness, mine is fear, assess it. How are you overcoming or "working" on it? As future medical professionals medicine will define us as people - we are imperfect humans after all, so what's your fear? Are you defined by fear or do you define fear?

Today at 8:57 AM
Like+ QuoteReply

Spider/Roach
Both can go extinct

I chose the DO as I'm interested in the philosophy + I did not want to wait another year to reapply to MD schools + Ive done enough research to know that a DO degree will not hinder me from getting into my specialty of interest and be really successful at it.

However, my biggest fear is that my mind will flip 180 degrees during medical school and end up falling in love with another specialty and I wind up in regrets over my decisions. (I HIGHLY doubt this will happen but I still have this fear).

I have made some bad career decisions in the past (chose the wrong masters program, didn't rewrite the MCAT when I should've, wrong choices of courses during undergrad which impacted my GPA, etc etc), and so I don't fully trust my decision making abilities.

Reactions: 2 users
Becoming an MD

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily my biggest fear, but in terms of medicine, I'm fearful of the 2 things: the merger and what means for new DOs and more importantly, the state of health care in general with the possible 800 billion dollar cut in Medicaid/Medicare. There's going to be a lot of people out there who aren't going to get the care they need and people are going to suffer. The cut in food stamps worries me. What's the point of prescribing antibiotics or general primary care for these people if they're just going to starve on the streets? How's the reduction in medicaid/medicare money going to impact us as future physicians? Every thing else here, we can directly control, but this is something out of our reach. I don't mean to make this political, but it's something worth thinking about.

Not necessarily my biggest fear, but in terms of medicine, I'm fearful of the 2 things: the merger and what means for new DOs and more importantly, the state of health care in general with the possible 800 billion dollar cut in Medicaid/Medicare. There's going to be a lot of people out there who aren't going to get the care they need and people are going to suffer. The cut in food stamps worries me. What's the point of prescribing antibiotics or general primary care for these people if they're just going to starve on the streets? How's the reduction in medicaid/medicare money going to impact us as future physicians? Every thing else here, we can directly control, but this is something out of our reach. I don't mean to make this political, but it's something worth thinking about.

There are several major dysfunctions in U.S. healthcare policy that must be addressed in our 'physician-generation'. I truly believe that medicine is a social science and politics is nothing but medicine on a large scale. Virchow once said, "[the] Physicians are the natural attorneys of the poor, and the social problems should largely be solved by them." The biggest issues facing healthcare today can be reduced to a rich vs. poor paradigm which demands a need for more altruistic physicians. Altruism is much more than a Republican vs. Democrat debate, like you I don't want this thread to escalate into a heated political debate.

In terms of the biggest challenges facing D.O.'s, like you mentioned, I think that the AAMC merger will translate to a continued lack of distinction from orthodox medicine (MDs). The percentage of DOs utilizing OMM post graduation and residency is lower now than ever. It's sad to think that hours and money spent to learn OMM goes to waste when the outcome proves no philosophical distinction. Great response! Thank you.

I chose the DO as I'm interested in the philosophy + I did not want to wait another year to reapply to MD schools + Ive done enough research to know that a DO degree will not hinder me from getting into my specialty of interest and be really successful at it.

However, my biggest fear is that my mind will flip 180 degrees during medical school and end up falling in love with another specialty and I wind up in regrets over my decisions. (I HIGHLY doubt this will happen but I still have this fear).

I have made some bad career decisions in the past (chose the wrong masters program, didn't rewrite the MCAT when I should've, wrong choices of courses during undergrad which impacted my GPA, etc etc), and so I don't fully trust my decision making abilities.
Thank you for your vulnerability and honesty.

Your story reminds me of the 'The Road Not Taken' poem by Robert Frost and an interpretation from Orange is the New Black, "everyone thinks the poem means to break away from the crowd and do your own thing, but if you read it, Frost is very clear that the two roads are exactly the same. He just chooses one at random. And then it’s only later at a dinner party when he’s talking about it that he tells everyone he chose the road less traveled by, but he’s lying. So the point of the poem is that everyone wants to look back and think that their choices matter. But in reality, **** just happens the way that it happens, and it doesn’t matter."

Your journey to become a physician is just that: yours. Every decision you've made you take responsibility for and it makes you the person you are today - if it weren't for those "bad career decisions" you wouldn't have the perspectives or drive to pursue what you believe is worthwhile. Your past won't dictate whether you will be a good physician, you will be an excellent physician because of your passion and dedication to serve others physical, mental, and spiritual needs. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 1 user

The merger is going to put DOs and MDs on more equal footing. It serves to boost the legitimacy of osteopathic medicine and to give more opportunities to DOs who excel.

"Starve on the streets"? Good grief. We're currently facing an obesity epidemic in our low-income urban communities. We have rampant fraud and abuse of the food stamp system, and we have millions of people who have become chronically dependent on these handouts.

Cutting handouts will serve to bring about a greater sense of responsibility and self-reliance in the common American. Illiteracy, single motherhood, and obesity are not just social concerns; they are medical risk factors. At the end of the day, fewer handouts will alleviate some of the problems that cause many urban ER docs to lose sleep at night.

There are several major dysfunctions in U.S. healthcare policy that must be addressed in our 'physician-generation'. I truly believe that medicine is a social science and politics is nothing but medicine on a large scale. Virchow once said, "[the] Physicians are the natural attorneys of the poor, and the social problems should largely be solved by them." The biggest issues facing healthcare today can be reduced to a rich vs. poor paradigm which demands a need for more altruistic physicians. Altruism is much more than a Republican vs. Democrat debate, like you I don't want this thread to escalate into a heated political debate.

In terms of the biggest challenges facing D.O.'s, like you mentioned, I think that the AAMC merger will translate to a continued lack of distinction from orthodox medicine (MDs). The percentage of DOs utilizing OMM post graduation and residency is lower now than ever. It's sad to think that hours and money spent to learn OMM goes to waste when the outcome proves no philosophical distinction. Great response! Thank you.

I agree that it can be boiled down to socioeconomic inequalities, but I don't think having more altruistic doctors will help much. It's great for patient care, but it's becoming an issue on whether people can even access care anymore. The lower class won't be able to pay for treatment for pre existing conditions or necessary procedures. It would be an interesting idea to see physicians in the government advocating for this population, but I'm not sure about the feasibility of that.

As for OMM, I've heard of anecdotal evidence of it helping patients and that there's good reimbursement for docs that perform it, but that's about it. So it could still be useful to know?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The merger is going to put DOs and MDs on more equal footing. It serves to boost the legitimacy of osteopathic medicine and to give more opportunities to DOs who excel.

"Starve on the streets"? Good grief. We're currently facing an obesity epidemic in our low-income urban communities. We have rampant fraud and abuse of the food stamp system, and we have millions of people who have become chronically dependent on these handouts.

Cutting handouts will serve to bring about a greater sense of responsibility and self-reliance in the common American. Illiteracy, single motherhood, and obesity are not just social concerns; they are medical risk factors. At the end of the day, fewer handouts will alleviate some of the problems that cause many urban ER docs to lose sleep at night.

I completely disagree. Just cause there's an obesity epidemic doesn't mean it affects the same population. Of course there's going to be the population that lack the ability to co York themselves, but there's also the population that don't have the money or time for healthy food because they're working so much. Either way, I'd rather have abuse of food stamps to feed people then to give a billionaire a few more million dollars. Have you thought about the fact that cutting handouts will likely lead to more crime as they don't see other possibilities? Or what about the disabled? The single parents? The veterans? There's innocent people worth fighting for.

I agree that it can be boiled down to socioeconomic inequalities, but I don't think having more altruistic doctors will help much. It's great for patient care, but it's becoming an issue on whether people can even access care anymore. The lower class won't be able to pay for treatment for pre existing conditions or necessary procedures. It would be an interesting idea to see physicians in the government advocating for this population, but I'm not sure about the feasibility of that.

As for OMM, I've heard of anecdotal evidence of it helping patients and that there's good reimbursement for docs that perform it, but that's about it. So it could still be useful to know?

I agree altruistic doctors aren't the only solution, altruistic people, regardless of occupation, are needed to make the world a better place. At the end of the day we all can agree that the world is full of selfish and selfless people. I postulate:

An altruistic physician (or person really) can be defined as one who is satisfied treating people who may never repay them - because after all, medicine is not a means to profit financially, but an opportunity to alleviate suffering in the world and manage feelings of ambivalence, ambivalence about selling medical services in a world where some can't buy them. In my opinion healthcare reform is simple, it demands that physicians return to the essence of why he/she is motivated to practice medicine - hopefully a career dedicated to serving, for the good of humanity.

Healthcare is an action and an idea, functionally derived from philosophy and ethics: to promote health and wellness for the good of all. 'For the good of all' requires an understanding that equality is the cornerstone of healthcare, therefore altruism and freewill are factors. These foundational concepts stem from a theistic philosophy that all humans were created intelligently with a purpose. Since altruism is a choice, the opposite, selfishness, is also a choice. I am suggesting that humans were created with freewill therefore altruism is a choice, because it is not innate, which means promoting the good of humanity is contrary to human nature.

Is it bad if I'm actually not afraid of anything?? haha I've had this conversation multiple times, and still can't think of a single thing.

I guess my biggest fear (relative to what I think the OP's intended topic was aimed towards) is not getting into my ideal school... Since Indiana has a single Osteopathic institution, and my whole support network resides here (given I've been born and raised here), and my husband works full-time here for the state (with over 6 figures in debt due to his education, and we plan on doing the minimum payments on that sucker for 10 years at which point it should be forgiven due to his governmental service.... supposing politics won't shift that policy to keep students down even further, but I digress) and getting him to re-take the BAR to be able to practice in another state (let alone asking him to leave his current position in which he is very well-suited and happily tolerates) is almost unfathomable but I've only got that one ideal shot.

So while I'll be mitigating my risk, applying to contiguous/nearby states, and I'm prepared to have a long-distance marriage (or so I think) for the duration of school- my biggest fear is not being granted the convenience and blessing to remain with my fellow Hoosiers, foremost my husband, during my education. But how do I deal with it? Alcohol. No, not really. I just try to recognize it's a very true possibility and know that the universe always has a funny way of making things how they should be (even if it doesn't perfectly coincide with our vision)... keep the faith!

Otherwise... being subjected to heights will tend to flood my blood with cortisol faster than anything I've encountered. Xanax usually works well, for me, in those instances :p

I guess my biggest fear (relative to what I think the OP's intended topic was aimed towards) is not getting into my ideal school... Since Indiana has a single Osteopathic institution, and my whole support network resides here (given I've been born and raised here), and my husband works full-time here for the state (with over 6 figures in debt due to his education, and we plan on doing the minimum payments on that sucker for 10 years at which point it should be forgiven due to his governmental service.... supposing politics won't shift that policy to keep students down even further, but I digress) and getting him to re-take the BAR to be able to practice in another state (let alone asking him to leave his current position in which he is very well-suited and happily tolerates) is almost unfathomable but I've only got that one ideal shot.

So while I'll be mitigating my risk, applying to contiguous/nearby states, and I'm prepared to have a long-distance marriage (or so I think) for the duration of school- my biggest fear is not being granted the convenience and blessing to remain with my fellow Hoosiers, foremost my husband, during my education. But how do I deal with it? Alcohol. No, not really. I just try to recognize it's a very true possibility and know that the universe always has a funny way of making things how they should be (even if it doesn't perfectly coincide with our vision)... keep the faith!

Otherwise... being subjected to heights will tend to flood my blood with cortisol faster than anything I've encountered. Xanax usually works well, for me, in those instances :p

Long-distance marriage for four years? That doesn't sound good. :cryi: Wishing you the best.

DUDE SPIDERS

Like seriously tho...

I'm learning that SDN maybe isn't the right platform for sincere online community-driven intellectual discourse.

Lol

An altruistic physician (or person really) can be defined as one who is satisfied treating people who may never repay them - because after all, medicine is not a means to profit financially, but an opportunity to alleviate suffering in the world and manage feelings of ambivalence, ambivalence about selling medical services in a world where some can't buy them. In my opinion healthcare reform is simple, it demands that physicians return to the essence of why he/she is motivated to practice medicine - hopefully a career dedicated to serving, for the good of humanity.

Double lol

Healthcare is an action and an idea, functionally derived from philosophy and ethics: to promote health and wellness for the good of all. 'For the good of all' requires an understanding that equality is the cornerstone of healthcare, therefore altruism and freewill are factors. These foundational concepts stem from a theistic philosophy that all humans were created intelligently with a purpose. Since altruism is a choice, the opposite, selfishness, is also a choice. I am suggesting that humans were created with freewill therefore altruism is a choice, because it is not innate, which means promoting the good of humanity is contrary to human nature.

Triple lol.

This is fantasy that will never work in the real world. Ever.

Original post deleted due to OP wanting only serious responses.

I fear only what I cannot control. Namely what several other posters above explained about politics and our ability to practice independently.

Last edited:
Getting sucked back into a relationship dynamic like the one with my ex-husband and not being smart/aware enough to get out of it before my life is in shambles again.

Someone forcing me to eat bees.

Mine is making a decision from which I cannot recover. No one is perfect but I don't want to do anything that change my life drastically in a negative way.

"Of all the professions, medicine is one of the most likely to attract people with high personal anxieties about dying. We become doctors because our ability to cure gives us power over the death of which we are so afraid."
~Sherwin Nuland

Not getting into medical school

Probably being unhappy at the end of all of this.

Reactions: 7 users
As a premed and an osteopathic medical student, my biggest fear was not matching my speciality of choice. I ended up matching my #1 speciality of choice at my #2 program. So my fear wasn't an actual reality. However, what happened was worse. I ended up hating medicine. I dislike it so much so that I withdrew from fellowship, and will be returning to my previous career in engineering. I hope my experience doesn't happen to any of you. I probably didn't shadow enough as a premed to realize I was making a terrible mistake. Medicine isn't for everyone, so do your best to ensure you're pursuing the right career for you.

As a premed and an osteopathic medical student, my biggest fear was not matching my speciality of choice. I ended up matching my #1 speciality of choice at my #2 program. So my fear wasn't an actual reality. However, what happened was worse. I ended up hating medicine. I dislike it so much so that I withdrew from fellowship, and will be returning to my previous career in engineering. I hope my experience doesn't happen to any of you. I probably didn't shadow enough as a premed to realize I was making a terrible mistake. Medicine isn't for everyone, so do your best to ensure you're pursuing the right career for you.

Wow I'm sorry to hear this. I've been reading your posts since I joined 3+ years ago and have appreciated your honesty and insight. Best of luck to you in the future!

Being 350k in debt & having public service loan forgiveness taken away.

Maybe not a fear, but just how quickly time passes gets to me.

I used to think it was dying but I think my actual fear is not accomplishing what I want to in life. It sounds awful but when I'm 75 I'll probably only be able to focus on what I didn't do, not what I did.

Too much to do, man.

Not getting into any medical schools after all of my hard work

Last edited:
I think the scariest thing for me is busting my a** off, pouring sweat and tears and heart into one thing for the past X amount of years, and finding out it will amount to nothing and my time has been wasted.

but I'm also terrified of heights so there's that.

I have a legitimate fear of moths. Not butterflies really, but moths. It's so bad that even seeing a picture in class (peppered moths is a common one) would totally put me on edge. Heights is another one.

Never really had an academic fear. Those I can work with and overcome. But moths...? Absolutely not.

I have a legitimate fear of moths. Not butterflies really, but moths. It's so bad that even seeing a picture in class (peppered moths is a common one) would totally put me on edge. Heights is another one.

Never really had an academic fear. Those I can work with and overcome. But moths...? Absolutely not.
Buffalo Bill, is that you?

"The significance of the moth is change. Catepillar into chrysalis or pupa, from thence into beauty...." *hisses menacingly*

My biggest fear is pain and suffering among the ones I love. You're right that it is my personal driving factor going into medicine. I have seen my grandparents suffer a lot, and dying a painful death.

That's an interesting quote because I found that once I left my religion (so strict it had culty vibes) and started diving deep into the sciences, I became less and less afraid of dying, where before I actually had panic attacks because my fear was so strong. For some reason, a loss of consciousness when we die is not nearly as scary for me as being judged for everything I did in life and possibly being subjected to eternal damnation lol.

My biggest fear is not getting accepted. I feel like I am not in control over where my career goes until a medical school accepts me. It's very unnerving to think that my future is in the hands of someone who doesn't know me at all. I know I'm a great candidate for medical school, but I worry that I can't convey that.

In no order:

(1) spiders: frightening
(2) mosquitoes: responsible for the most deaths of any disease vector and also somehow Houdini into my room at night
(3) the state of: healthcare/wealth inequality/lack of acceptance, tolerance, understanding/politics/etc.
(4) letting others down, not showing those I love how much I really appreciate them while they're here
(5) spending too much time on this site

Last edited: