what is the transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct current stimulation does it wo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard they make one process info quicker and easier. How? What is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One is a symphony combining physics, physiology, neuro anatomy, computer science, and neuropsychology. One is a 9 volt battery and some gator clips.

Reactions: 1 user
One is a symphony combining physics, physiology, neuro anatomy, computer science, and neuropsychology. One is a 9 volt battery and some gator clips.

At least Anton Mesmer had style and flourish...back in the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer, not ready for prime time. Still in the experimental phase. Please don't hook a battery up to your temples at home.
there is a practice of some sort in my area that advertises on radio to treat depression with TMS. I was surprised to hear it. The comedian Neal Brennan talks about doing TMS as well. It might be gaining steam as the new en vogue depression treatment.

there is a practice of some sort in my area that advertises on radio to treat depression with TMS. I was surprised to hear it. The comedian Neal Brennan talks about doing TMS as well. It might be gaining steam as the new en vogue depression treatment.

I've heard of it being done, and it doesn't surprise me. There is some promising data there, but maybe not enough yet to recommend this all around just yet.

I've heard of it being done, and it doesn't surprise me. There is some promising data there, but maybe not enough yet to recommend this all around just yet.

It's interesting. Clinicians as a group (myself included) are still somewhat skeptical of TMS, but insurance companies (including Medicare) are now paying for it. A course of TMS is a lot more expensive than a year of weekly therapy, so I find this surprising.

It's interesting. Clinicians as a group (myself included) are still somewhat skeptical of TMS, but insurance companies (including Medicare) are now paying for it. A course of TMS is a lot more expensive than a year of weekly therapy, so I find this surprising.

There's definitely expanded coverage, but by no means is it covered by all major insurance plans; I think a lot are still waiting on longer term outcome data. It is more expensive than weekly therapy, but cheaper and less invasive than ECT. My read of the literature is that it holds some potential promise for treatment-resistant MDD, but as with anything designed to treat something when "treatment-resistant," individual mileage may vary. My 2c.