What is the role of a Pharmacist in a Specialty Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeekk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically at Walgreen's Specialty pharmacy. I searched for similar threads and read them, I got it's similar to retail but with specialty medication. I want more specifics.

1) Is the pharmacist expected to handle TPR, prior-authorizations, answer the phone, fill, etc.. or just verify? At my pharmacy the pharmacist not only verifies but multi-tasks a bit of everything.

2) Similar to question one, what is the average day like as a specialty pharmacist?

3) What knowledge should a pharmacist at a specialty pharmacy have? Should you know every specialty drug for every disease state treated? The steps to deliver each drug? I'm guessing basic knowledge on OTC and common Rx's isn't used often?

Members don't see this ad.

Specifically at Walgreen's Specialty pharmacy. I searched for similar threads and read them, I got it's similar to retail but with specialty medication. I want more specifics.

1) Is the pharmacist expected to handle TPR, prior-authorizations, answer the phone, fill, etc.. or just verify? At my pharmacy the pharmacist not only verifies but multi-tasks a bit of everything.

2) Similar to question one, what is the average day like as a specialty pharmacist?

3) What knowledge should a pharmacist at a specialty pharmacy have? Should you know every specialty drug for every disease state treated? The steps to deliver each drug? I'm guessing basic knowledge on OTC and common Rx's isn't used often?

I worked as an intern at a HIV SPecialty walgreens in florida for a few shifts.

1. All insurance issues were handled by a tech who's sole job was to handle them. If some were really difficult the pharmacist would step in and help.

2. My pharmacist verified scripts, put meds into blister packs, he went out trying to secure doctors that would refer patients to our pharmacy, spent ALOT of time with patients who picked up their meds (knew every customer by name). Really a cush job if you can ever land one.

3. My pharmacist said it was all very come and go. He wasn't very educated on HIV drugs when he first started but he picked it up all very well. You should be knowledgeable on most of the medications the disease state treats and keeep current on any newly developed drugs that come out. We had no OTC's' in our store. Common RX's are pretty important since most of the specialized drugs have alot of interactions with the general RX's. We only kept RX's in stock that our patients used though. It was a very abbreviated supply (5-6 small shelves worth of drugs)