What is the lowest average salary that we've seen for a podiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty busy on these boards lately lol. I just have a lot of questions and concerns coming all at once.

Out of all the surveys and data, what is the low end salary for a podiatrist. I think I saw 70k somewhere and as high as 300k. That is an unbelievable disparity if it is true. Additional question would be why the YUGE disparity?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been pretty busy on these boards lately lol. I just have a lot of questions and concerns coming all at once.

Out of all the surveys and data, what is the low end salary for a podiatrist. I think I saw 70k somewhere and as high as 300k. That is an unbelievable disparity if it is true. Additional question would be why the YUGE disparity?

Modes of practice.
Board Certifications/hospital privileges.
Fellowship/no fellowship.
Area of practice/competition/saturation.
How much you want to work.

Are those numbers strictly for pods or MD/DO ankle fellow trained as well?

If you're talking average, I haven't seen as low as 70K or as high as 300K. I've seen from 185K (APMA) to 285K (MGMA) depending on the subset of podiatrists. Lowest I've seen is BLS, around 135K, but BLS is BS. They may include resident salaries and they may not include owner salaries, but who they survey and how they survey isn't super obvious so I wouldn't rely heavily on that survey.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

As @bobtheweazel noted, I don't recall a survey reporting an average of 70k, but I do know podiatrists that started out with a base pay around that mark. And there are podiatrists that make way more than 300k. The disparity is not that out of line with any other medical field. There are always going to be people starting out at a low salary and then there will be busy seasoned practitioners who works tons of hours and see 60 patients a day just to make as much money as possible. Then there will also be the ones that bilk the system out of bunches of money and bill their routine nail patients as nail avulsions or who give every patient an injection regardless of whether it is needed or sell custom inserts to every patient because it helps the bottom line, not because it helps the patient. My point is that you'll always have some control of how much you make in this field.

HAHAHAH I lol'd at "YUGE" and read it in DT's voice

Isn't it fair to assume that if you don't make much as a podiatrist, you probably wouldn't make much in other medical specialties? Or maybe thats a reaching statement..?

Isn't it fair to assume that if you don't make much as a podiatrist, you probably wouldn't make much in other medical specialties? Or maybe thats a reaching statement..?
I think if you want money, you'll make money. That's true in any profession. As a podiatrist that may involve working extra hours, investing, going into ownership, etc. There are plenty of opportunities out there, and of course you can always make your own opportunities as well.

If you're talking average, I haven't seen as low as 70K or as high as 300K. I've seen from 185K (APMA) to 285K (MGMA) depending on the subset of podiatrists. Lowest I've seen is BLS, around 135K, but BLS is BS. They may include resident salaries and they may not include owner salaries, but who they survey and how they survey isn't super obvious so I wouldn't rely heavily on that survey.

I'm still confused lol.

As @bobtheweazel noted, I don't recall a survey reporting an average of 70k, but I do know podiatrists that started out with a base pay around that mark. And there are podiatrists that make way more than 300k. The disparity is not that out of line with any other medical field. There are always going to be people starting out at a low salary and then there will be busy seasoned practitioners who works tons of hours and see 60 patients a day just to make as much money as possible. Then there will also be the ones that bilk the system out of bunches of money and bill their routine nail patients as nail avulsions or who give every patient an injection regardless of whether it is needed or sell custom inserts to every patient because it helps the bottom line, not because it helps the patient. My point is that you'll always have some control of how much you make in this field.

Could either of you, when you get the chance, post all the surveys done on podiatrist salaries? From your comments, I understand that here is a big disparity between young pods, pods working for 10 years, pods working in rural areas, as well as pods who are members of ACFAS, etc. That is why the average salaries are all over the map.

There are many of them that I can't access without paying for. If you have it, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm still confused lol.

Could either of you, when you get the chance, post all the surveys done on podiatrist salaries? From your comments, I understand that here is a big disparity between young pods, pods working for 10 years, pods working in rural areas, as well as pods who are members of ACFAS, etc. That is why the average salaries are all over the map.

There are many of them that I can't access without paying for. If you have it, I'd really appreciate it.

Your obsession with residency placement and salaries tells me one thing: you are trying to justify your career choice to yourself and your family with numbers.

Your obsession with residency placement and salaries tells me one thing: you are trying to justify your career choice to yourself and your family with numbers.

Partially. Truth is, I don't really know that much about podiatry. The SDN forums for podiatry aren't as active as the ones for medical school. I had no idea the residency stats were so high, but now that I know I have alot more comfort. And I still don't know about the salary situation, and it is really important because of the extreme debt that I will be in after graduating. I'm already in debt from undergrad and it really bothers me. This is a life altering decision, so I want to know every detail I can about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait, you want us to post all of the surveys done on podiatrists? We've given you the numbers for a bunch of them, which ones are you looking for?
I have the ACFAS survey and the BLS data. I can't seem to find the ones on pods in rural areas, for example. I know I read it somewhere on here though.

I have the ACFAS survey and the BLS data. I can't seem to find the ones on pods in rural areas, for example. I know I read it somewhere on here though.
Podiatry is a great career with a bright future. You will have a very comfortable living and have room for growth in the profession.. idk what youre specifically looking for. There arent a ton of podiatrists in the country so all these graphs and surveys and whatnot arent really gonna answer questions. They will probably just create more (as weve seen)

Partially. Truth is, I don't really know that much about podiatry. The SDN forums for podiatry aren't as active as the ones for medical school. I had no idea the residency stats were so high, but now that I know I have alot more comfort. And I still don't know about the salary situation, and it is really important because of the extreme debt that I will be in after graduating. I'm already in debt from undergrad and it really bothers me. This is a life altering decision, so I want to know every detail I can about it.

Fair enough. I apologize for being harsh. Just thought you needed to hear it.

I know where you're coming from. I have have undergrad loans as well as loans from my masters not counting the interest accruing.

There was a thread on the pod forums about accumulated debt after school. Majority were 300k+, but the mentality seemed to be as long as you've passed boards, finished residency, and am a normal functioning human being with people skills- It is very possible to make monthly payments and still have enough left over to live a comfortable lifestyle.

trying to answer this question, one of the things you need to consider / factor is what your own financial and spending habits are like. If you're reckless, like to be flashy, (nothing wrong with that) then you know you'll need to be in a certain income bracket in order to keep up with the Joneses. But if you know you're not much of a big spender, you were raised on certain bracket of income, lived in a certain neighborhood, then you also know you'll be comfortable with a certain kind of income.

Whether you go M.D./D.O./DPM, you're going to be in debt and take on loans regardless! Two pieces of advice I was given about education in America (1) NEVER use age as an excuse, or let age turn you back (2) don't use the loans as an excuse, or let the loans turn you back. Obama was still making payments on his student loans even after he got into the white house. So loans or no loans, go to school, man.

Second, there are spreadsheets out there that you can play with. Run some sample calculations on potential future scenarios. Play with mortgage rates, car insurance, student loan repayments, and you'll see how much you'll need to make to live the lifestyle you want to live. Try it with medical careers, and other potential careers you've looked into.

There was a thread late last year-- one of the really well-respected members that used to post around here--he left his DPM program. I think he would have graduated this year. Basically after about 2 years into it, he realized it wasn't for him and he was really just chasing the money. He points out he was scared about leaving because he had a very closed boxed thinking. He thought there weren't jobs out there where he could make as much as a DPM, etc. But after leaving he found work as a consultant, him and his spouse combined are making really great money and the calculations come out to be that he'll make something not too far from what he would have made as a DPM. Not to mention he'll pay his loans off faster now.

Sometimes what we're scared off isn't really that scary. And even if it does happen, it wont be as bad as we thought. I really endorse the DPM field for you and anyone else who doesn't mind working with feet. As far as salary goes, you'll be in the low to mid-low six figure income range. That's higher than the average population and right about average among physicians.

It's good you're sleeping with one eye open but don't let that rob you of your sleep altogether.

As far as your family goes, ideally parents just want their kids to be in safe hands. After you leave school and open a successful practice, or you're holding down some big position at the hospital, do you think your parents wouldn't say it with pride that "my son is the xyz at ABC hospital", or "my son is the owner of the 12345 Foot clinic"? And if they aren't happy, so long as your job keeps you from asking them for money, living under their roof, what more can you really do?

Reactions: 7 users
trying to answer this question, one of the things you need to consider / factor is what your own financial and spending habits are like. If you're reckless, like to be flashy, (nothing wrong with that) then you know you'll need to be in a certain income bracket in order to keep up with the Joneses. But if you know you're not much of a big spender, you were raised on certain bracket of income, lived in a certain neighborhood, then you also know you'll be comfortable with a certain kind of income.

Whether you go M.D./D.O./DPM, you're going to be in debt and take on loans regardless! Two pieces of advice I was given about education in America (1) NEVER use age as an excuse, or let age turn you back (2) don't use the loans as an excuse, or let the loans turn you back. Obama was still making payments on his student loans even after he got into the white house. So loans or no loans, go to school, man.

Second, there are spreadsheets out there that you can play with. Run some sample calculations on potential future scenarios. Play with mortgage rates, car insurance, student loan repayments, and you'll see how much you'll need to make to live the lifestyle you want to live. Try it with medical careers, and other potential careers you've looked into.

There was a thread late last year-- one of the really well-respected members that used to post around here--he left his DPM program. I think he would have graduated this year. Basically after about 2 years into it, he realized it wasn't for him and he was really just chasing the money. He points out he was scared about leaving because he had a very closed boxed thinking. He thought there weren't jobs out there where he could make as much as a DPM, etc. But after leaving he found work as a consultant, him and his spouse combined are making really great money and the calculations come out to be that he'll make something not too far from what he would have made as a DPM. Not to mention he'll pay his loans off faster now.

Sometimes what we're scared off isn't really that scary. And even if it does happen, it wont be as bad as we thought. I really endorse the DPM field for you and anyone else who doesn't mind working with feet. As far as salary goes, you'll be in the low to mid-low six figure income range. That's higher than the average population and right about average among physicians.

It's good you're sleeping with one eye open but don't let that rob you of your sleep altogether.

As far as your family goes, ideally parents just want their kids to be in safe hands. After you leave school and open a successful practice, or you're holding down some big position at the hospital, do you think your parents wouldn't say it with pride that "my son is the xyz at ABC hospital", or "my son is the owner of the 12345 Foot clinic"? And if they aren't happy, so long as your job keeps you from asking them for money, living under their roof, what more can you really do?
Very sound advice, Dr. Phoot. Well said.

Looking at national salary averages is a really misleading metric. So much goes into that final number, irrespective of what your source is, that the final 'average' doesn't tell you much of anything.

Years in practice, practice setting, LOCATION- all of these skew the numbers to the point of obscurity.
It would be more useful to consider where you see yourself practicing, and looking at the data from that state.
Also consider that the majority of new Pods in private practice work on a base+ volume/revenue based bonuses. As a result, the base salary may be quite low, but the new associate may pull much higher numbers based on their revenue/patient volume.

Salary data may not include clinical practice Pods as well. Forensic Podiatry consultants make absurd money. If you're lucky enough to get an APMA gig, same story. Income can be supplemented by teaching as an adjunct at either the Undergrad or Grad level as well. There are other sources/means of revenue with a DPM degree than clinical practice.

Additionally, private practice Pods may report a much lower salary than they're actually pulling, due to cash payments and tax frau..... erm, manipulations.

Reactions: 3 users

I just got into a POD program. This is a very good advice. Thanks so much! How hard is opening your own podiatry clinic? Does that need a lot of personal capital or you can get a loan for it?

Looking at national salary averages is a really misleading metric. So much goes into that final number, irrespective of what your source is, that the final 'average' doesn't tell you much of anything.

Years in practice, practice setting, LOCATION- all of these skew the numbers to the point of obscurity.
It would be more useful to consider where you see yourself practicing, and looking at the data from that state.
Also consider that the majority of new Pods in private practice work on a base+ volume/revenue based bonuses. As a result, the base salary may be quite low, but the new associate may pull much higher numbers based on their revenue/patient volume.

Salary data may not include clinical practice Pods as well. Forensic Podiatry consultants make absurd money. If you're lucky enough to get an APMA gig, same story. Income can be supplemented by teaching as an adjunct at either the Undergrad or Grad level as well. There are other sources/means of revenue with a DPM degree than clinical practice.

Additionally, private practice Pods may report a much lower salary than they're actually pulling, due to cash payments and tax frau..... erm, manipulations.

This was very helpful. Thanks! By any chance, could you explain a bit more about Forensic Podiatryconsultants. I mean what they do and approximately how much they make?

It's ridiculous how low the base pay of some newly practicing pods are.