What is the difference between a carbocation and a free-radical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jirotrom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
topic?

Members don't see this ad.

Free radical is an unpaired electron, versus a carbocation is like a C with only 3 bonds.

So...a free radical on carbon would be 3 bonds (6 PAIRED electrons), and 1 unpaired. So a total of 7 electrons

carbocation would be like NH_4 - 4 bonds or an Oxygen with 3 bonds.

Kind of similar, but different. You also get free radicals from homolytic cleavage of a bond, and carbocations you can get a number of ways

so if you hasve a carbon with only 3 bonds... lets say CH3 by itself... what would distinguish it from having a free radical or being a carbocation?

Well...if it was an alkyl group on a C chain, whether it broke off homolytically or heterolytically. If it was homolytically, one electron from the bond would go with the methyl group, and the other with the chain - forming free radicals. If it was heterolytically, either the bonding electrons would go with the methyl group, forming a carbANion (negatively charged C), and the carbon chain would have a carbocation, or the bonding electrons would stay on the chain, forming a methyl group with a carbocation, etc

If it was originally a methane (CH4), it would depend how that H atom came off of the molecule, ie. whether a nucleophile came in and plucked the H off, which would leave a carbANion, or whether somehow the bonding electrons came with it (electrophilic reaction), forming a carboCATion.

I'd read the free radical section of your textbook if I were you. I need to as well.

Members don't see this ad :)