What is the best choice?

Leviosa_sid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I can't decide if I should go to University of Houston or University of Texas at Austin for my undergrad.

My tuition at UH is covered through grants and scholarship and if I decide to go there I'll be commuting.
And at UT my tuition is also covered through grants and scholarship but I have to take 8000 loans per year to pay for housing.

I plan to go to medical school so won't it be practical to go to UH? And does undergrad matter if I have good scores and a solid GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will repeat to you what my parents (including my physician father) have said to me: The average med school student graduates with $200k of student debt. It's pretty unavoidable, and $8k/year isn't that much comparatively. I personally wouldn't care about it that much, the most important thing is where you will be successful.

Hope this helps.

Take this from someone who was where you were not too long ago. You should come out of undergrad relatively debt free if you can. The undergrad degree is worthless in the grand scheme of things. If you are going to medical school, you will wish you had minimal to zero debt. Save the money, it will be the best move you make.