What is good baseline GPA that will ensure you wont fail out of Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daffyduckdodger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know schools accept 3.2-3.4 gpas for pod school, but I hear about how students who get in with lower gpas fail out. This scares me to even consider pod school since my cum,science gpa will be 3.2-3.3. What undergrad gpa would you say is the REAL cutoff for those matriculants who actually pass pod school?Because If my gpa is too low I wont even try to apply since I know id fail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that 3.2 projected?

Couldn't help but look through your post history. Pod schools when extending invites mostly look at last 60 hours of course work (poor decision making, maturity, etc).

In that sense, past history does not predict future ability to thrive. If I were you, I'd focus on getting an A one class at a time. No point selling yourself short right now if you havn't dipped your toe your past your potential or limits yet.

You've still got at least another 2 years. I promise you will mature if not at least change for the better. The difference between your freshman year of college and after your senior year can be stark.

sGPA is probably a better predictor than cGPA, since it's basically a science program. But even then it may not be a great predictor. There are people in my program with higher undergrad cGPAs and sGPAs than me, and I'm doing better than them—though my MCAT was higher.

Maybe MCAT is a better predictor since every week or so you'll basically be studying for and testing on a huge amount of information just like...The MCAT.

Even then, the studies that have been done for MD schools have found relatively weak correlation between GPA,. MCAT, and success in med school.

Just try to relax, go in determined, and you'll be fine. There are a lot of similar posts popping up. I'll stick by my statement that those of you who are really afraid of failing will be driven to succeed—no matter how you performed in undergrad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TLDR of what bob said.... there's no good predictor. If you want it badly enough and work hard enough you will not fail out (he's right)

Upperclassmen say if you have a 3.0 or above in pod school you'll be good for residency. There's plenty of lazy people in my class, I bet after this semester we will see 5-10 drop

Reactions: 1 users
I know schools accept 3.2-3.4 gpas for pod school, but I hear about how students who get in with lower gpas fail out. This scares me to even consider pod school since my cum,science gpa will be 3.2-3.3. What undergrad gpa would you say is the REAL cutoff for those matriculants who actually pass pod school?Because If my gpa is too low I wont even try to apply since I know id fail.

One of the kids in my class had the lowest MCAT score that I've heard of (we don't talk about it at all, but he voluntarily told me his). He was accepted and actually doing slightly better than me, and I'd imagine I was at the higher end of the MCAT score for my incoming class.

Past performance correlates to future performance, but it's not an exact determinant. So many variables go into it. Take it one semester, course, exam at a time, do your best, let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: 1 users
Tough to predict. I've seen 2.5 kids have 4.0's and 3.8 kids struggle in school.

Maybe MCAT is a better predictor since every week or so you'll basically be studying for and testing on a huge amount of information just like...The MCAT.

MCAT tends to be a better predictor of students passing the USMLE step 1. I'd say yes, its a better predictor than cgpa or even sgpa.
If i had to rate it, more likely a predictor of success is MCAT score > sGPA > gGPA