What is considered "significant improvement"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I am currently on a few waitlists, but thought I would prepare for the upcoming cycle just in case.
I understand that as a reapplicant I should be waiting until I have improved a great deal to submit another application. BUT...I am a little confused about how much of an improvement is considered "enough."

As far as I have been told, the greatest flaw in my application was an unbalanced score (CARS was too low). Would I be okay submitting a new application this upcoming cycle with a new (more balanced mcat score), along with a few new letters, a new job, an updated PS, and continuance of some of my previous activities. I should say that admissions staff I spoke with at multiple schools did not mention any other shortcomings.
What are your stats w/ MCAT breakdown? Also, what is your clinical/shadowing exposure like?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: >3.8 (both sGPA and cGPA)
MCAT: 510+ (with 123 CARS, other sections above 127)
(Would like to retain as much anonymity as possible)

On last app (2016-2017)
Shadowing: ~100 hrs (will add more to next app)
Clinical: 400+ hrs as hospital volunteer (will add more to next app, including new clinical job)
Aside from that 123 in CARS, your stats are very strong and that's a good amount of clinical exposure. Normally it's not advisable to retake your 510+, so I would get some more advice on how that 123 is viewed before you retake, because you risk getting a lower score which would be bad.

Did you get a lot of interviews? I ask because it could also be that your school list was off. Otherwise, I think the improvements you have sound good in general. Do you have stuff in your app that shows genuine commitment to those less fortunate than you? Did you get a lot of eyes on your PS and essays?

Significant improvement typically means new PS, along with new LORs and one/more of the following: boosted MCAT, great SMP/post-bacc performance, new full time research/clinical position (great way to rack up 1000+ hours), additional publications, more volunteering (500+ addl hours), or new ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for clarifying that for me in such a straight forward way. Would 2 new LORs be sufficient (both from jobs I've held this past year)? I graduated a couple of years ago so my former professors wouldn't exactly be able to add anything new to their letters.

Two new LORs along with a new PS, new job, and more volunteering is great. I agree with the above poster about the risk of retaking the MCAT. If you really want to retake, aim for 510+ on your practice tests.