What is (are) the most common reason(s) PGY-1s fail a rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddjamb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Few threads here refer to PGY-1s put on probation for failing a rotation or 2. What are the reasons for such failure?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Few threads here refer to PGY-1s put on probation for failing a rotation or 2. What are the reasons for such failure?

Lack of professionalism
Not meeting the expectations set for a resident on that rotation

If you want more specific answers, you'll need to ask a more specific question.

Reactions: 1 users
#1 Not laughing when the Attending makes a joke

Reactions: 6 users
What possibly can you expect from a PGY-1 beside being a good "reporter"?

very generally, rules to live by in internship/pgy1 are don't be lazy, don't be late. never lie.
(and laugh at all the attendings' jokes)

i did some stalking and realized you're a 4th year med student.
would agree with post above - need more specifics.

otherwise, have a look through these threads too if you're worried about next year - I don't feel ready for residency and how dumb are interns allowed to be.

Edited for ****ty grammar

My prgram will put you on probation if you score too low on the in training exam. Most other cases i know personally were either lying/professionalism problems, or as above mentioned, not meeting a time hack for assigned research or the like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

What possibly can you expect from a PGY-1 beside being a good "reporter"?

Not sure if you're being facetious, but the "reporter" level is early MS-3 level. If you're an intern and still functioning at an MS-3 level, you're in trouble.

A good intern manages their own patients. They gather the H&P, they make a differential and plan, they write orders, they answer the pages and phone calls and learn how to make the decisions. All with supervision from a senior resident and attending, of course. If you want to look at it under the RIME framework, by the end of intern year you should be a pretty good Manager and getting into Educator.

Reactions: 10 users
Professionalism first and foremost. Do you work, keep you delinquent charts at 0, DON'T DISAPPEAR, show up to lectures on time, keep your New Innovations records up to date with whatever is required by your program (reading, procedures, patient log, etc).

For interns, medical knowledge is probably second.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Ismet, interns should not just be reporters. You may ask people often if your decision is correct or if there is anything you are missing, but you should definitely be having a thought process into management of patients, not just report info and do what the attending says.

It's probably program dependent but in my program, they just wanted us to show up on time and work hard. Having a good attitude will help, so will good work ethics.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Hello,

While everything has posted is absolutely true, you should be professional and do your work. You will find lots of fellow interns who are not that professional, who do not do good work, who med ed has to constantly hound about turning their stuff in, and they will NOT be failed. It's actually amazing what people get away with really.

Some reasons people have failed a rotation at my hospital

1. Got caught lying about having to go to clinic days, but really they just took the day off = attending got PISSED. Failed

2. Told attending to "Go F*** yourself". Failed. Not kicked out of residency though, just had to repeat that rotation

On another note, some of the best advice given to me was thus: At your hospital, the reputation that you build up for yourself during your intern year will be with you throughout your entire tenure there. Be well read, keep up to date of latest/greatest, work hard, be efficient, and you will be respected. As you become a senior resident, that respect you built up will come in handy. You will make mistakes, you will be late occasionally, you will screw something up/patient will die/you will have to do an M/M. But if you have enough respect "brownie points" built up, then people don't come down on you like they would if you're the slacker.

Reactions: 3 users
#1 Not laughing when the Attending makes a joke

I can never tell if residents and students actually think my jokes are funny or if they just feel like they have to laugh at them. On day one I should just say "Guys, I don't want you to feel like you have to laugh at my jokes. If you don't feel the jokes are funny, there's no shame in training at a different program."

Reactions: 10 users
I can never tell if residents and students actually think my jokes are funny or if they just feel like they have to laugh at them. On day one I should just say "Guys, I don't want you to feel like you have to laugh at my jokes. If you don't feel the jokes are funny, there's no shame in training at a different program."

... and they will laugh at you when you say this. Or are they laughing with you?

Hello,
Scaring your fellow residents with how you manage patients or us thinking that we can't trust you by yourself in a limited capacity on that rotation by the end of the month. Basically I shouldn't have to be next to you with your pager continuously at the end. By the end of your pgy1 year and at beginning of pgy2 you start to supervise students and as a pgy2 the new interns. Each rotation is supposed to get you closer to that so that you will be teaching and supervising. You have to acquire the baseline knowledge to perform at that level, if you're not reaching that level with rotations then it's concerning. (This applies more to rotations in your specialty, if you're not a surgical resident, I wouldn't expect you to end functioning at an indecent level). Now if you're a medicine intern and can't do an h&p and manage the list and orders without me helping you put in the orders at the end of the month then I'm worried.

Scaring your fellow residents with how you manage patients or us thinking that we can't trust you by yourself in a limited capacity on that rotation by the end of the month. Basically I shouldn't have to be next to you with your pager continuously at the end. By the end of your pgy1 year and at beginning of pgy2 you start to supervise students and as a pgy2 the new interns. Each rotation is supposed to get you closer to that so that you will be teaching and supervising. You have to acquire the baseline knowledge to perform at that level, if you're not reaching that level with rotations then it's concerning. (This applies more to rotations in your specialty, if you're not a surgical resident, I wouldn't expect you to end functioning at an indecent level). Now if you're a medicine intern and can't do an h&p and manage the list and orders without me helping you put in the orders at the end of the month then I'm worried.
This should have said I wouldn't expect you to be doing surgery if on a surgery rotation as an elective and not a surgery resident.