What exactly are competitive stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted846074

Is there a line that if one were to be above for in terms of cGPA/sGPa/MCAT that they would most definitely have a very strong chance of getting accepted somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a line that if one were to be above for in terms of cGPA/sGPa/MCAT that they would most definitely have a very strong chance of getting accepted somewhere?

Not really. There's no definite line.

If you had to have a line, it would also differ greatly for each school.

You could say that as long as you're at or above the average matriculants' stats for each individual school, you would be considered competitive for that school stats wise (if you disregard instate and regional biases as well).

However, if you have a 528 and 4.0 with no EC's, your chances would be zero.

And even if you had great EC's with perfect stats, you still might be yield protected from some schools or rejected from some religious schools or certain mission based schools.

You can never say for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. There's no definite line.

And even if you had great EC's with perfect stats, you still might be yield protected from some schools or rejected from some religious schools or certain mission based schools.

Wait so do DO schools actually yield-protect out applicants who would be competitive for mid/upper tier MD schools? What about if they fit the school's mission?

Yea Unfortunately there aren't magic numbers and
Wait so do DO schools actually yield-protect out applicants who would be competitive for mid/upper tier MD schools? What about if they fit the school's mission?

If you fit a school's mission and have shown through shadowing or getting DO lots or whatever that you know what it means to be a DO physicians and are legit interested, than you'll likely NOT be yield protected.

However yield protection is true for ALL med schools (outside of the top 20 or so maybe). I think DO schools are wary of someone with borderline MD stats who has zero experience with a DO or osteopathic medicine.

3.5-3.6 cGPA+sGPA/balanced 504 to be competitive to at least to some extent at all DOs. Apply on time with those numbers and you will likely get multiple interviews (purely based on the stats).

Reactions: 1 user
Just getting accepted somewhere? I would honestly say 3.1/500 with how many new schools there are. If by competitive you mean competitive for any DO school I would say 3.6/507 puts you in striking distance of every school.

Yea Unfortunately there aren't magic numbers and

I think DO schools are wary of someone with borderline MD stats who has zero experience with a DO or osteopathic medicine.

caaB2dC.jpg