what does a high step 1 score really do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before but im genuinely curious because i have heard (as im sure everyone has) that step 1 is the most important factor for competitive specialties. I really dk the answer so I would appreciate the veterans' input here. Im asking because i just received my score and i want to know what it means.

For those who have been through it: how true is this, in your experience/opinion?
Will a 265 step 1 score, for eg, with little research and a good resume all around beat out a 240 with excellent research, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

A high step one score opens the door for competitive fields and programs. They then look at the rest of your application. Once your score is over some minimum threshold, the actual value doesn't matter all that much. Whether you're in the 90th, 95th, or 97th percentile on S1 is somewhat meaningless.

As far as how aspects of an application are weighted, that depends on the program. Some will care more about research. Some will care less. Same for everything else.

A high step one score opens the door for competitive fields and programs. They then look at the rest of your application. Once your score is over some minimum threshold, the actual value doesn't matter all that much. Whether you're in the 90th, 95th, or 97th percentile on S1 is somewhat meaningless.

As far as how aspects of an application are weighted, that depends on the program. Some will care more about research. Some will care less. Same for everything else.
Correct me if im misinterpreting. It sounds like youre saying that as long as the score meets the cutoff for that program they then disregard it? If that were the case then how do you explain the nrmp stat of "matched" at 249 and unmatched at 239, for example. Is it a "gunner" correlation or are you arguing something else?

Correct me if im misinterpreting. It sounds like youre saying that as long as the score meets the cutoff for that program they then disregard it? If that were the case then how do you explain the nrmp stat of "matched" at 249 and unmatched at 239, for example. Is it a "gunner" correlation or are you arguing something else?

Rather than saying they disregard it entirely, I would say they don't put too much weight on it.

I think you have to look at the package as a whole. I'm sure there are people with 250+ who did not match, while there are others with 220s who matched. Step 1 is usually for screening purposes, but there are always exceptions and the rest of the application matters as well.

Rather than saying they disregard it entirely, I would say they don't put too much weight on it.

I think you have to look at the package as a whole. I'm sure there are people with 250+ who did not match, while there are others with 220s who matched. Step 1 is usually for screening purposes, but there are always exceptions and the rest of the application matters as well.
No doubt the entire application matters. Its just the reputation (that perhaps is pervasive only in the lower years of medical school) that step 1 is the most decisive factor in residency placement thats confusing me.

I did speak to a person who as a resident sat on the board (or whatever its called) of an ortho department at a top top program who told me straight out that they accepted a few students who had poor research but who had killer board scores. I also know a guy at a "top 20" school who i heard is foregoing research bc of a high step 1 score despite pursuing a very competitive field.

Dont get me wrong im not at all seeking some kind of permission to be a bum bc of a great score on step 1. I personally think its ridiculous how much value is placed on one exam taken on one day.

I also know a guy at a "top 20" school who i heard is foregoing research bc of a high step 1 score despite pursuing a very competitive field.
This does not seem like a wise strategy - actually, I can't help but think of it as arrogant. One would want to maximize all the relevant aspects of application (Step scores, clinical grades, research, letters, +/- connections for smaller fields), especially when applying to a competitive specialty. Even if you "pass the bar" for your specialty of choice, strong research etc can make a difference in the program one ends up matching into.

Reactions: 1 user
Dont get me wrong im not at all seeking some kind of permission to be a bum bc of a great score on step 1. I personally think its ridiculous how much value is placed on one exam taken on one day.
aPD has already addressed this above. To reiterate:
1) Everything matters; some things can matter more or less depending on the specialty and/or program. Do your research to find out what's valued in the specialty/programs of your interest (e.g., for derm and rad-onc you're expected to have high board scores *and* solid research etc).
2) Step scores below certain levels can effectively screen you out* of certain specialties and/or top tier programs in less competitive fields simply because there are a lot of applicants and it's so easy to to sort them out based on scores**. Again, do your research to know the approximate hard or soft cutoffs in the specialty/programs of your interest.
* - you can still have a chance if you're exceptional in some other parts of your app, but you may have to find ways for programs to look at your app (by contacting them yourself or having your mentors contact them etc)
** - whether it's fair or not is a different question

Thanks everyone for your replies!