What do you guys think of UNE online DIY post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waiting on interview invites, and have none so far. I am trying to find a backup plan in case I don't get an interview invite. I was looking at the DIY online post-bacc at UNE, because I need to work to live, and do not have time to do classroom instruction. My options are:

1. Study for the MCAT to retake...as my first score was a 502 (126-124-126-126)

2. DIY online post bacc at UNE.

My questions are...what do you guys think of this online UNE Post-bacc? Is it good? Is it doable? Is it going to help me with DO schools in terms of admission?

*Also, if you think this is good, how many classes should I take? What classes should I take? I have completed all my pre-reqs and finished a degree in Biochemistry last Spring, and have a cGPA of 3.20 and sGPA of 3.21.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently waiting on interview invites, and have none so far. I am trying to find a backup plan in case I don't get an interview invite. I was looking at the DIY online post-bacc at UNE, because I need to work to live, and do not have time to do classroom instruction. My options are:

1. Study for the MCAT to retake...as my first score was a 502 (126-124-126-126)

2. DIY online post bacc at UNE.

My questions are...what do you guys think of this online UNE Post-bacc? Is it good? Is it doable? Is it going to help me with DO schools in terms of admission?

*Also, if you think this is good, how many classes should I take? What classes should I take? I have completed all my pre-reqs and finished a degree in Biochemistry last Spring, and have a cGPA of 3.20 and sGPA of 3.21.

I think the PB route is a good idea. If you can crush ~20 credits w/ A's, you should be set for DO. Not sure how successful students have been in the past w/ an online PB. I have spoken to several DO schools re: the PB route, and most of them prefer that you attend class in-person. That being said, doing an online PB would be better than not doing a PB at all. I had a low GPA out of undergrad (3.02) and opted for the DIY PB (nononline)... have been taking classes through Harvard Extension, BU, and Northeaster... my GPA is now at 3.17.. I am hoping it will work out next cycle.

Re: your MCAT... I also think this could be retaken. 502 I believe, is the avg. matriculation for DO students in the US. But given the fact that your GPA is below avg, it might be wise to try and add on a few extra points. Personally, I was forced to retake the MCAT a second time. I got a 504 the first time and retook it a few days ago (hoping for 508+). If you think you can add a few points on w/out going below a 123 for a subsection... go for it. I also spent HOURS... studying for this thing... like too much time (~2,000 hours)

Finally... stay positive. You definitely ARE NOT OUT OF IT THIS CYCLE. You could get rejected by 29 schools and have 1 II... but that's all you need. People have gotten in w/ your numbers. However... if you did a PB (~20 credits) w/ all A's and maybe a 504/505 MCAT... I don't think you would leave anything on the table.

Good Luck

I think the PB route is a good idea. If you can crush ~20 credits w/ A's, you should be set for DO. Not sure how successful students have been in the past w/ an online PB. I have spoken to several DO schools re: the PB route, and most of them prefer that you attend class in-person. That being said, doing an online PB would be better than not doing a PB at all. I had a low GPA out of undergrad (3.02) and opted for the DIY PB (nononline)... have been taking classes through Harvard Extension, BU, and Northeaster... my GPA is now at 3.17.. I am hoping it will work out next cycle.

Re: your MCAT... I also think this could be retaken. 502 I believe, is the avg. matriculation for DO students in the US. But given the fact that your GPA is below avg, it might be wise to try and add on a few extra points. Personally, I was forced to retake the MCAT a second time. I got a 504 the first time and retook it a few days ago (hoping for 508+). If you think you can add a few points on w/out going below a 123 for a subsection... go for it. I also spent HOURS... studying for this thing... like too much time (~2,000 hours)

Finally... stay positive. You definitely ARE NOT OUT OF IT THIS CYCLE. You could get rejected by 29 schools and have 1 II... but that's all you need. People have gotten in w/ your numbers. However... if you did a PB (~20 credits) w/ all A's and maybe a 504/505 MCAT... I don't think you would leave anything on the table.

Good Luck

Decisions, decisions haha. What classes did you take for your post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a community college around you that offers upper level science courses? I would think that taking a semester's worth of credits at UNE would be pretty pricey. I also would look heavily into retaking, a 506+ could do you wonders.

Decisions, decisions haha. What classes did you take for your post-bacc?

So far...
Priciples of Neuroscience
A&P I
A&P II
Genetics
Human endocrinology
Stem Cell/Regenerative Bio

Also... I would try to avoid community college. People might disagree w/ this, but w.e. Many of the DO schools I spoke to recommended established universities over CC for DIY PB classes.

Not a fan of online coursework.

Thank you.

What would you suggest someone in my position do, besides waiting for interviews? I currently work and volunteer as a caregiver for patients with dementia. I feel like there are very limited options for a post-bacc or SMPs at this time. Should I just study and retake the MCAT?

Is there a community college around you that offers upper level science courses? I would think that taking a semester's worth of credits at UNE would be pretty pricey. I also would look heavily into retaking, a 506+ could do you wonders.

I was thinking about retaking. I just need a way to improve! I spent 3 months, 6 days a week, and 8 hours a day prepping. I even took a classroom course with The Berkeley Review, and still ended up with a 126-124-126-126 (502).

So far...
Priciples of Neuroscience
A&P I
A&P II
Genetics
Human endocrinology
Stem Cell/Regenerative Bio

Also... I would try to avoid community college. People might disagree w/ this, but w.e. Many of the DO schools I spoke to recommended established universities over CC for DIY PB classes.

Thank you for your input! I just feel like it is too late to get into a post-bacc or SMP, because it is already September. This is why I looked to online. I don't really know when other DIY post-baccs start.

Thank you.

What would you suggest someone in my position do, besides waiting for interviews? I currently work and volunteer as a caregiver for patients with dementia. I feel like there are very limited options for a post-bacc or SMPs at this time. Should I just study and retake the MCAT?
There are no colleges around where you live?

I think that with a broad application, especially targeting the newest schools, you should get some nibbles.
I can't recommend an MCAT retake until you see how this cycle shakes out by Jan or Feb.
Look into an SMP or relocate for a post-bac for next year if this cycle proves to be a wash. At the minimum, you can take some post-bac classes starting next semester.
In the mean time, if you haven't found a DO to shadow and write LOR, find one.
Keep on volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no colleges around where you live?

I think that with a broad application, especially targeting the newest schools, you should get some nibbles.
I can't recommend an MCAT retake until you see how this cycle shakes out by Jan or Feb.
Look into an SMP or relocate for a post-bac for next year if this cycle proves to be a wash. At the minimum, you can take some post-bac classes starting next semester.
In the mean time, if you haven't found a DO to shadow and write LOR, find one.
Keep on volunteering.

I live near Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc. There are schools near me, but I figured that post-baccs and SMPs run like regular undergraduate, which starts in Aug/Sep. That is why I figured that it is too late. Are post-baccs rolling admission?

I have 18 applications currently under review, including at ACOM, BCOM, LECOM, LECOM-B, PNWU, WVSOM, Touro-NV, Western-L, and Western-P.

I shadowed a DO for 25 hours over the course of a school year, and got a DO LOR.

I live near Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc. There are schools near me, but I figured that post-baccs and SMPs run like regular undergraduate, which starts in Aug/Sep. That is why I figured that it is too late. Are post-baccs rolling admission?

What we call post-bacs are simply college classes you take as a post-graduate student. Take the ones that mimic med school classes. Since most semesters have already started, I suppose Jan is the closest start cycle.

There are post-bac programs, but these are mainly for career changers.

What we call post-bacs are simply college classes you take as a post-graduate student. Take the ones that mimic med school classes. Since most semesters have already started, I suppose Jan is the closest start cycle.

There are post-bac programs, but these are mainly for career changers.

What kind of school should I take them at?