What do you find to be the most rewarding aspect of derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swaggy109010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here considering derm. I've done a fair amount of shadowing and working with residents in the program at my institution, and I was wondering what you guys find to be the most rewarding about your practice? For the residents and attendings I worked with, a big part was the diversity of cases they get to see, but I haven't had much exposure to the PP world of derm so not sure if that diversity of cases carries over there

Members don't see this ad.

M2 here considering derm. I've done a fair amount of shadowing and working with residents in the program at my institution, and I was wondering what you guys find to be the most rewarding about your practice? For the residents and attendings I worked with, a big part was the diversity of cases they get to see, but I haven't had much exposure to the PP world of derm so not sure if that diversity of cases carries over there

- Diversity of cases
- Compensation
- Lifestyle
- Career flexibility
- Patient satisfaction
- Ability to see quick results after treatment

Reactions: 1 users
- ability to instantly visually recognize disorders most other doctors are clueless about

- ability to get involved in some surgery, some pathology, some peds, some immunology or to specialize in one to be more in-depth.

- quick no-nonsense visits where you "do" some intervention (med or procedural) without spending forever on history/social worker aspects of patient care

- less dependence on "administration" particular hospital and c-suite types which can be a real pain

- as above: lifestyle and compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

for me I really enjoy the diagnostic certainty derm affords. you actually get an answer to a lot of cases through biopsy, serology etc. which further improves your skills. this is much in contrast to other fields where you end up guessing a lot and waiting for something to happen.