What do ya'll keep on your desks and decorate your office with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the walls: photography (mine), a couple of favorite prints, diplomas.

On my desk: Mostly reference info, a bunch of PostIt note reminders, red swingline stapler, and a zebra my dad gave me a few years back. Horse Before Zebra....though I end up seeing quite a few zebras in the end.

It's mostly papers and files though.....(bonus pts who recognize the pic w/o looking it up).

einstein-office.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Walls: art, diplomas, license to practice

Side tables: Kleenex, clocks, figety type toys, lamps, pen/paper for the perfectionists, pamphlets of resources on campus

Desk and shelving: books, sculptures, plants, awards, my Dundie Trophy, thank you cards, stacks of articles and agenda items that stare at me all day

I didn't realize it until now, but the more personal the item, the further it is from the client's chair...

office.jpg

I know I'm not a psychologist, but I wanted to play this game!

here is a photo of my office today.
On the desk: computer, gamer mouse pad, dictaphone, snowball mic, speakers, bose iphone dock, ipad dock, laptop, phone, hand sanitizer, scented oil defuser, millennium falcon carving, headphones
On the walls: pictures of my family
On the shelves: a few books, mostly pictures of my family, and bobble heads and action figures

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 222445

I know I'm not a psychologist, but I wanted to play this game!

here is a photo of my office today.
On the desk: computer, gamer mouse pad, dictaphone, snowball mic, speakers, bose iphone dock, ipad dock, laptop, phone, hand sanitizer, scented oil defuser, millennium falcon carving, headphones
On the walls: pictures of my family
On the shelves: a few books, mostly pictures of my family, and bobble heads and action figures

Darn, if you hadn't said it, we could've played I Spy to find your Star Wars bobbleheads!
;)
You've definitely given your office the personal touch!

Desk- pictures of my kids, office supply stuff (stapler, etc.), pile of non-confidential stuff I have to weed through some day, coffee mug

Walls- diploma, licenses, and certifications on wall behind desk; kid themed art on other walls.

Bookshelf/table in reach of typical toddler- puzzles, toy vehicles, pretend play stuff (toy phone and camera), and board/picture books.

Bookshelf out of reach of typical toddler (though some are pretty good climbers)- professional books, testing materials, extra bubbles and balloons, bin of matchbox cars for older kiddos (all toys here in bins or otherwise hidden from view)

ClinicalABA only sees adults, but the toys and whatnot keep things interesting! :laugh:
You're just jealous 'cause when your'e doing verbal paired associates and complex figures, I'm doing bubble play and flipping a rubber duck off a spoon (still my favorite test item of all time!).

I forgot to point out that I also have paper towels and clorox wipes in my office. for about 4-5 months a year, every session ends with every surface and item covered with a layer of toxic nasal discharge.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're just jealous 'cause when your'e doing verbal paired associates and complex figures, I'm doing bubble play and flipping a rubber duck off a spoon (still my favorite test item of all time!).

I forgot to point out that I also have paper towels and clorox wipes in my office. for about 4-5 months a year, every session ends with every surface and item covered with a layer of toxic nasal discharge.

That's just unfair. No one uses VPA anymore. Well, maybe except for those doing NFL testing.

Let see...Right now, an empty La Croix can, coffee mugs I need to take home, about 15 legal pads, post-notes that have started to cling to each other, a stack of articles, and various charts that I need to return ha It's organized chaos

Things I have enjoyed for my office(s):

1) Some things that appreciate. Furniture, rugs, artwork, etc can be appreciating assets. A wise CPS can talk to you about depreciation as well.
2) TV, and miracasting/widi/whatever set up. When I have a lull, it's nice to have some entertainment. Reinforces the office as a pleasurable place to be. Casting is nice for displaying things.
3) Furniture that can be wiped down. Especially chairs and sofas.
4) High speed scanner. Learned how to scan my textbooks from SDN. Really freed up space.

Things that were useless or a mistake:

1) Multiple monitors. Rarely use them.
2) Tablet set up. Don't use them.
3) Huge bookshelves. At some point the sheer number of books made finding the books difficult.

RE: PSYR I enjoy a dual monitor setup. I am tempted to wall-mount monitors to free up some space on my desk.

The high-speed scanner is a huge time saver for my staff. They are pricey, but they can be depreciated like most everything else.

Bookcases are currently my challenge bc I like certain reference books, but I need to find the right size...I currently have too big and too small options.

I'm installing an LCD on my wall (40"-50") so I can review pt data and do some education w the pt & family. I've done it previously with good success, I just need to iron out how I'm formatting the data.

Also a fan of the dual monitor setup, especially when working on manuscripts. Nice to have articles and book chapters up on one screen to read as I edit on the other.

Totally agree- had that setup in previous office and found it very helpful. As much as I joke about having toys in my office, I am limited by the fact that there's a high likelihood that anything on my desk will be a distraction to- and must be safe for- a toddler. Anything with a screen is just too tempting- I close my laptop during assessments. Also, if they can see, they want to play with it, so I have lots of stuff on shelves in bins and covered with baby blankets. I've learned the hard way to not leave coffe or water on the desk, as well as to keep my car keys and lunch bag out of reach. The cup of pens must have crayons in it too.

Totally agree- had that setup in previous office and found it very helpful. As much as I joke about having toys in my office, I am limited by the fact that there's a high likelihood that anything on my desk will be a distraction to- and must be safe for- a toddler. Anything with a screen is just too tempting- I close my laptop during assessments. Also, if they can see, they want to play with it, so I have lots of stuff on shelves in bins and covered with baby blankets. I've learned the hard way to not leave coffe or water on the desk, as well as to keep my car keys and lunch bag out of reach. The cup of pens must have crayons in it too.
How many times have you had tots abscond with your keys? And what makes them so irresistible? There was a time I interacted a lot with little ones in my non-work life- and kept an extra key ring of not-important keys as a decoy.

How many times have you had tots abscond with your keys? And what makes them so irresistible? There was a time I interacted a lot with little ones in my non-work life- and kept an extra key ring of not-important keys as a decoy.
Only a few occassions of them tossing them behind my desk or down the power cord hole in the desk. I try to stick them in my lunch bag out of reach, but every now and then i forget and just toss them on the desk.

I'm just a student and still haven't really personalized my area yet so def keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration.

I have a zillion post-its because it's one of the few ways I can organize my brain these days, various snacks, and a Freud mug to hold pens that I'll ultimately lose anyway. I have a noticeboard that has significant unused potential; the only thing on it at the moment is a Finding Nemo meme that a colleague had attached on my door to haze me, because it reminds me to be humble.

First reaction is often. "This is a nice office." Most people tend to stand in the middle and wonder where they should sit. Some verbalize it, others use various types of non-verbal. The more narcissistic just go right to a chair or the couch and sit there as though it is their office. About 10-20% sit in chair on left, about 40-50% sit in chair on the right, and the rest sit on the couch. I tend to sit in the chair on the left the most. I don't interpret or analyze much of that information, but I am always paying attention.

First reaction is often. "This is a nice office." Most people tend to stand in the middle and wonder where they should sit. Some verbalize it, others use various types of non-verbal. The more narcissistic just go right to a chair or the couch and sit there as though it is their office. About 10-20% sit in chair on left, about 40-50% sit in chair on the right, and the rest sit on the couch. I tend to sit in the chair on the left the most. I don't interpret or analyze much of that information, but I am always paying attention.

anyone lie down?

The pictures of the faculty who rejected my graduate school and internship applications, so that I may always be inspired to stick it to 'em as I rise like a meteor in the field. . . and dual monitors. (Gotta have those.)

My desk...like the VA gives me my own desk, that's cute! :laugh:

I did have the pleasure of a mouse on my shoe while consulting with a caregiver the other week. God, I live the life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Last edited:
Who paid for the furniture (and snanzy pillows)?

And. You better mess that **** up and stop fibbin' about what your day looks like.

PS: If its not a right angle, its a wrong angle. :)

PPS: The plant of the left is too short. Miracle Grow, yo!
Hospital bought me new furniture when I started the job. I got to pick it out although I did get in trouble for bypassing purchasing department. :oops:
As far as mess goes, I don’t keep piles of paper anywhere. I’m almost obsessive about fininishing my paperwork before I leave for the day and especially on Friday. A good sign that I am not doing well emotionally or physically is if I have any paperwork piled up.
The chairs at an angle? I could leave them straight but then my back would be twisted when facing patient on couch. I do turn them when I am meeting with people. In the past I had swivel chairs which I actually prefer for that reason. The plant actually grew to about four feet tall and looked much better, but then toppled and is back to being too short again. ;)

I bought some mid-century wooden and leather chairs and a similar style couch..though fabric. I’m still hoping to hang an LCD (maybe to stream baseball...but also to review testing results). Fake tree in the corner. I have a partial spine model, but i’d prefer a full-sized one.

My first reaction was, "what kind of candy is that?". I guess that shows my priorities.

Since I just do research in my office, I try to decorate it with stacks of books and papers I'm reading. Well. I don't try per se... but it happens.

I’m imagining trying to assess a toddler while keeping them away from a candy jar!
I have a playroom where I meet with kids and don’t work with toddlers. For the occasional meeting in the office, it is another way to see how they respond to boundaries either from myself or a parent. I actually had a four year old in the office yesterday because parent did not accept my attempt to set the boundary of leaving him in the waiting room where we leave kids all the timeworn a receptionist that keeps an eye on them. Surprisingly, we are meeting because the older sibling has problems with boundaries. :D