What do I say to my professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked one of my professors from two years ago for a recommendation letter and I knew him pretty well. This was his response:

I remember you - and I'd be happy to write a strong letter for you. I'm no longer at (name of university), but I'm happy to do it, and I can still do it on (name of university) letterhead as the "former" Faculty Director of the Leadership Development Program etc.
Tell me what you'd like, and pass it along, and I'll do it,
- (professors name)

What does he mean by "tell me what you'd like"? What should I say?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked one of my professors from two years ago for a recommendation letter and I knew him pretty well. This was his response:

I remember you - and I'd be happy to write a strong letter for you. I'm no longer at (name of university), but I'm happy to do it, and I can still do it on (name of university) letterhead as the "former" Faculty Director of the Leadership Development Program etc.
Tell me what you'd like, and pass it along, and I'll do it,
- (professors name)

What does he mean by "tell me what you'd like"? What should I say?

What you want him to include in the letter.

Tell him that you would like it to be a strong letter talking about some characteristics he remembered from you that you feel would represent you well to admission committees. Maybe include a CV with the message and a brief PS that he could use to make a better picture of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
He'll never know whether or not you use the letter. It would be a little rude to say "nah, on second thought, don't write the letter." Ask him for the letter now (with a copy of your CV, PS, +/- grades) with his appropriate title then do some leg work. Find out why he isn't on staff anymore. Did he retire or take a better job? Or did he get asked to step down for sexual harassment? Assuming he didn't leave for nefarious reasons, I'd ask your advisor whether or not to use the letter. I imagine if he retired or got another job, no one on an adcom would care.