what courses do you consider upper level?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsp132

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are they mainly the courses after the basic chem 2 and bio 2 as prereq

aka genetics orgo etc

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Well, according to my school's health professions advisor and many threads in various forums some common "upper" level science courses are:

Microbiology
Cellular Biology
Molecular Biology
Advanced Physiology

There are others listed at my school but this may vary at your respective institution. I just listed some of the more common courses I've seen.

Upper level is a clearly defined category.

Simply put at most US universities (I can't speak for Int'l programs), upper level classes in any major are those where the course # begins with a 3 or above.

100/200 (or 1000/2000) are lower level classes
300/400 are upper level
500/600/700 are graduate level

Members don't see this ad :)
Upper level is a clearly defined category.

Simply put at most US universities (I can't speak for Int'l programs), upper level classes in any major are those where the course # begins with a 3 or above.

100/200 (or 1000/2000) are lower level classes
300/400 are upper level
500/600/700 are graduate level

Yup. At my school, microbio was lower level, but molecular bio was upper level. Human anatomy and physiology were lower level, but animal physio was upper. And, weirdly, organic chem 1 was lower, but organic chem 2 was upper. Go figure. My point is it varies from school to school, based on the way your university assesses the difficulty of each class.

I'm a psychology major working my way through a chemistry minor (which will take me thru orgo II and biochem, but no p-chem). The biochem is a 3000 level class, but that's it for upper level sciences. I'm also thinking of taking a second minor in biomedical physics, which will include two 3000+ physics classes (but no bio). Of course, my psychology major includes many 3000 and 4000 level classes.

I'm also completing an honors program at my school, and I just don't have room for any more classes.

Last edited:
i say anything 300 plus level . 100-200 courses are freshman/sophomore level

400+ is the most advanced at my school undergraduate wise but those are limited in availability compared to 300 courses

the basic science reqs are not advanced level