What chances do I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xsonixs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm entering my senior year at UCIrvine (finally LOL) and my only plan is to apply to the UC Post Bacc programs and hopefully medschool right after. They have a consortium so you can apply online once and select the schools where you want to apply (UCD, UCSF, UCSD, UCI, UCLA, UCR).

I used the AMCAS gpa calculator made by someone in UCSF to calculate my actual GPAs (since I know that sometimes the UC gpa might be a little different), and here are my stats as of junior year:

Running overall GPA: 3.03
Running BCPM GPA: 2.96
Running all other GPA: 3.22

What are my chances of getting into a really good postbacc, to the likes of UCLA or even UCSF?

Just some info:
I do NOT belong to any minority...I'm white

As far as extenuating circumstances..i think there are: I immigrated to the US in September 2004 from Romania (Europe) and had to work most of my college career.

I'm pretty involved on campus (President of a club, Resident Advisor (RA) twice, test proctor, jobs, BIO 199 research etc)

My overall GPA went as low as 2.4 and is now a 3.0 (most of which I did junior year and hopefully I can raise it even more my senior year).

My bio and physics GPA is decent but I blasted (really bad) most of my chem classes (mostly Cs, some Bs).

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into a top program? What are your experiences with such programs? How hard is it to stay in the program (I will most likely have to hold a job during that time).

Thanks in advance for all your answers and thank you to studentdoctor.net for all the resources! This place is a lifesaver hahaha :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm entering my senior year at UCIrvine (finally LOL) and my only plan is to apply to the UC Post Bacc programs and hopefully medschool right after. They have a consortium so you can apply online once and select the schools where you want to apply (UCD, UCSF, UCSD, UCI, UCLA, UCR).

I used the AMCAS gpa calculator made by someone in UCSF to calculate my actual GPAs (since I know that sometimes the UC gpa might be a little different), and here are my stats as of junior year:

What are my chances of getting into a really good postbacc, to the likes of UCLA or even UCSF?

Just some info:

As far as extenuating circumstances..i think there are: I immigrated to the US in September 2004 from Romania (Europe) and had to work most of my college career.

I'm pretty involved on campus (President of a club, Resident Advisor (RA) twice, test proctor, jobs, BIO 199 research etc)

My overall GPA went as low as 2.4 and is now a 3.0 (most of which I did junior year and hopefully I can raise it even more my senior year).

My bio and physics GPA is decent but I blasted (really bad) most of my chem classes (mostly Cs, some Bs).

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into a top program? What are your experiences with such programs? How hard is it to stay in the program (I will most likely have to hold a job during that time).

Thanks in advance for all your answers and thank you to studentdoctor.net for all the resources! This place is a lifesaver hahaha :)

Hi,

I am actually a post-bac student @ UCSF and as far as I can tell, UCSF does not limit themselves to accepting only minority students. Half of our students this year are not considered "minority in medicine" but all of us have a desire to serve in underserved communities, either rural or urban medicine.

Our GPA range from 2.9 to 3.4 + and MCAT range from 26 - 30+ before entering into the program. But I notice that all of us this year have extensive community involvement, research, or teaching experience that are unique. For example: 4+ Cancer research or International medical work, etc.

I would recommend applying early and invest heavily a significant amount of time on the application%2Proxy-Connection: keep-alive Cache-Control: max-age=0 so that it reflects your personality, experience, and desire to serve in underserved areas.

The disadvantage requirement for UCSF is large and it encompass either educational, economic, and minority in medicine. So the students they accept to the program is unique and passionate about medicine.

Contact me if you have further question.

Good Luck,
Gl0baltrader

Hey guys,

Just some info:

Hi,

I am actually a post-bac student @ UCSF and as far as I can tell, UCSF does not limit themselves to accepting only minority students. Half of our students this year are not considered "minority in medicine" but all of us have a desire to serve in underserved communities, either rural or urban medicine.

Our GPA range from 2.9 to 3.4 + and MCAT range from 26 - 30+ before entering into the program. But I notice that all of us this year have extensive community involvement, research, or teaching experience that are unique. For example: 4+ Cancer research or International medical work, etc.

I would recommend applying early and invest heavily a significant amount of time on the Proxy-Connection: keep-alive Cache-Control: max-age=0 plication, so that it reflects your personality, experience, and desire to serve in underserved areas.

The disadvantage requirement for UCSF is large and it encompass either educational, economic, and minority in medicine. So the students they accept to the program is unique and passionate about medicine.

Good Luck,
Gl0baltrader

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I would recommend applying early and invest heavily a significant amount of time on the application, so that it reflects your personality, experience, and desire to serve in underserved areas.

Good Luck,
Gl0baltrader

Hi Gl0baltrader,

I have a question about UCSF post bac: am I not eligible for the post bac porgram since I only had 2 general chem classes? My understanding is that you gotta complete most of the prereqs then apply to the program to "shape up" the apps. Thanks!

Hi,

I would recommend applying early and invest heavily a significant amount of time on the application, so that it reflects your personality, experience, and desire to serve in underserved areas.

Good Luck,
Gl0baltrader

Hi Gl0baltrader,

I have a question about UCSF post bac: am I not eligible for the post bac porgram since I only had 2 general chem classes? My understanding is that you gotta complete most of the prereqs then apply to the program to "shape up" the apps. Thanks!

As far as I know, the program requires you to complete your medical school requirements because of the Summer MCAT preparation in the beginning of the program.
This is quite different than the typical post-bac because it aims to improve your standing / qualification for medical school.
For more info contact the UCSF post bac committee.

Is MCAT required? If not, does a bad score hurt?

Is MCAT required? If not, does a bad score hurt?

MCAT score is not required. A poor score does not necessarily screen you out from admission to the program, because they are giving you a summer MCAT prep class. In fact, I heard that many of the previous year students get >30 on the MCAT after the prep.